Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Villarreal
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to finally start tweaking the existing cards in the game, I love the game already but wanted to try a few things. First tweak was to update the Cosmic Cube Scheme.

I didn't update it to make it harder or impossible, I wanted to bring it more in line with the comic story arc that originated it. Changes include trying to keep the villains and henchmen as Cap oriented as possible as well as attempting to tie Red Skull's Attack to the growing power of the cube itself via the Twists. Let me know what you think.

New Scheme name: Red Skull and the Cosmic Cube

Heroes: Captain America, (Choice of 4 other Heroes)

Mastermind: Red Skull
Villains: Hydra and Masters of Evil
Henchmen: Maggia Goons (Ignore Bribe)
Master Strike: Each player KO’s a Hero from their hand.
Special Rule: Scheme Twists affect Initial Attack and Final Showdown Attack.

Scheme: Unleash The Power Of The Cosmic Cube
Setup: 8 Twists
Twist 2: Each player gains 1 Wound. Red Skull gains 1 Attack.
Twist 4: Each player gains 2 Wounds. Red Skull gains 1 Attack.
Twist 6: Each player gains 3 Wounds. Red Skull gains 1 Attack.
Twist 8: Red Skull Wins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Villarreal
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this twice today to see if was a viable update. I played the golden solo rules for both.

1st game was Cap, Iron Man, Thing, Mr. Fantastic, and Spider-Man. This one came down to the wire. Red Skull managed to get up all 3 of his attack points and loaded me with wounds. Mr. Fantastic and Thing didn't help me much, I was only saved by Spidey's Bystander Rescues which allowed me to slow the villain deck for at least 10 turns. Red Skull was at full 14 Attack during the Final Showdown and Iron Man's draw train (I had his rare as well), and Spidey's draw train enabled a break even 14-14 victory.

2nd game was Cap, Widow, Invisible Woman, Human Torch, and Punisher. I made short work of Red Skull on this one due to Punisher emptying my deck of crap cards very quickly leaving only the high attack Invisible Woman cards almost every reset. I lost so many starter cards I had to buy 5 Maria Hill's to keep up. However, Red Skull still got away as I was 2 points shy on the final Showdown. He had only been boosted twice so he was a 13 and I only managed a meager 11.

Unless others have ideas for making even more thematic, I may start working on a card for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I'm following you regarding Red Skull's power. He's a base 7 Mastermind and you have listed 3 incidents where he gains +1. Unless I'm missing something, shouldn't that cap him out at 10, not 14 and 13 in your two respective games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Villarreal
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the golden solo rules, the mastermind gets bumped by 4 during the final showdown. In the case of this scheme variant, the mastermind gets the final showdown bump plus any power he accumulated from the twists.

So let's say you got 4 twists during the game. That would mean that prior to the final showdown Red Skull was a 9 because he became plus 1 during the 2nd twist and plus 1 again during the 4th twist. So when you reach the final showdown he becomes an 11 based on the golden solo rules plus the 2 you accumulated from the twists making him a 13.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.