Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: preorder [+] [View All]
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any reason to preorder? I'm looking forward to Pompeii and there's a tempting "Preorder" button on several online stores, for prices that go from 29 to 31 bucks. Now, the way I see it, I'd pay around 30 bucks now, and they'd send the game when it comes out. Is there an upside for me? Is the game going to be more expensive when it's actually out? Do they expect a huge scarcity of Pompeii? (Not likely, I think).

So, help me out here. Why would I preorder a game that's not likely to run out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically, pre-ordering saves you a few bucks. In many cases, such as the p500 style preorders it can save you like 30%. I can't tell you about pompeii though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually it's terrible to pre-order and I hardly never do. I did recently pre-order but that's a rarity but it was to combine items to reach over $150 for free shipping. Hopefully one of those games won't hold up the entire order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S J
United States
Oakdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't specifically know about Pompeii but in general...

* Sometimes there is a promotion with pre-ordering, like an extra figure, or map, or something just for pre-orders.

* Sometimes it is cheaper. Similar to the above kind of a promotional thing to encourage pre-orders.

* Some companies won't print a game until they get a certain number of pre-orders. This is what they use to determine which themes/game ideas of the many they want to go with. So pre-ordering some games makes them more likely to print.

* Some games run out of stock quickly following a printing. Pre-ordering helps make sure you get a copy. (i.e. Caylus, World of Warcraft CCG)

* You get the game the second it is available.

I would guess that last reason is why most people pre-order. I usually don't preorder, the few times I have it was because I just knew I wanted the game so I wanted it sent the day it came out. A few times I have regret not preordering something that did end up out of stock. Very seldom have I really seen typial Euro-games via online stores have great sales or promos for pre-ordering them, but maybe every once in a while someone does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some companies wont produce a game unless it gets a certain number of pre-orders. They use the amount of pre-orders to determine if there's enough demand for a game to produce it.

Wargame companies take it a step further. They won't produce a game unless they get enough pre-orders to cover the cost of publishing the game.

So if you really want a game, especially a wargame, pre-order it.

Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kenfeldman wrote:
Some companies wont produce a game unless it gets a certain number of pre-orders. They use the amount of pre-orders to determine if there's enough demand for a game to produce it.

Wargame companies take it a step further. They won't produce a game unless they get enough pre-orders to cover the cost of publishing the game.

So if you really want a game, especially a wargame, pre-order it.

Ken

Yes, but this is not the case here which is a more or less standard German game being made available in this way from an online site. The only reason I could see for pre-ordering is if you are concerned that the entire stock will get sold out before it arrives in the US. This was a concern with one of the go rounds of Caylus earlier this year.

But in the case here, well, I think it's nuts. I never pre-order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is of course the benifit that if you order from a store that if you pre-order (and have paid), you have locked in the price.

This past year there have been at least two instances where the publisher raised the MSRP (El Grande reprint, and Shogun).

www.CardHaus.com has a written policy that your price is locked in, www.GameSurplus.com has an unwritten policy that they do.

www.ThoughtHammer definitely doesn't, and neither does www.funagain.com

There is a related thread about pre-orders somewhere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stadel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
There is of course the benifit that if you order from a store that if you pre-order (and have paid), you have locked in the price.

This past year there have been at least two instances where the publisher raised the MSRP (El Grande reprint, and Shogun).

www.CardHaus.com has a written policy that your price is locked in, www.GameSurplus.com has an unwritten policy that they do.

I can vouch for GameSurplus ... I pre-ordered a reprint (Goa) and they honored their cheaper, older price (as opposed to the price they charged when the game actually arrived).

Personally, I don't usually pre-order eurogames unless its something that's likely to be really hot and may sell out quickly (like Caylus, last year)... and that's assuming I can't wait for a later printing.

For wargames, its a different story: most wont even print without sufficient orders, the pre-order discount is likely larger than I will find online, and they (the publishers) often give extra deals for pre-ordering customers.

But generally speaking, I usually wait ... with all the online stores, eBay and even the BGG marketplace, its unlikely you wont find what you're looking for at a decent price ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
www.CardHaus.com has a written policy that your price is locked in,

Note that CardHaus has changed their policy (not that I blame them after the Shogun debacle):

Quote:
Once payment has been accepted for an order containing a pre-order item, the price of the item for that order will not change unless the originally solicited price from the manufacturer is raised. Should this happen, all confirmed pre-orders will be given the option to cover the cost of the price increase or to cancel their order. If you decide to place a second order or add additional pre-order items after we have instituted a price increase, you must pay the new amount for any additional items you wish to order regardless of the price originally paid for the original pre-order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Cauley
United States
Deephaven
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
PHOENIX GAMES Guarantees Prices on Pre-orders too

Kevin Johnson
Online Manager

www.phoenixgamesonline.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best reason IMO is to get the game at all, in case the first run sells out quickly and you don't want to wait for a reprint.

Other than that, there's really no reason. The best reason NOT to pre-order is that you don't have to hold up your entire order for 1 game. I honestly don't know how some people can wait so long!!

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh!!!! This was the main reason I was going to be throwing all business to CardHaus! (though for this month it's definitely CardHaus with the extra 10% BGG coupon code) Thanks for pointing out their policy change!
earache wrote:
Note that CardHaus has changed their policy (not that I blame them after the Shogun debacle):

Quote:
Once payment has been accepted for an order containing a pre-order item, the price of the item for that order will not change unless the originally solicited price from the manufacturer is raised. Should this happen, all confirmed pre-orders will be given the option to cover the cost of the price increase or to cancel their order. If you decide to place a second order or add additional pre-order items after we have instituted a price increase, you must pay the new amount for any additional items you wish to order regardless of the price originally paid for the original pre-order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAndBits wrote:
The best reason NOT to pre-order is that you don't have to hold up your entire order for 1 game. I honestly don't know how some people can wait so long!!

Patience is a virtue One reason I don't mind waiting so long in some cases is I already have more than enough games that still haven't made it to the table for the 1st time. Though waiting 6 months for my pre-order containing the El Grande reprint did suck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Murphy
United States
California
flag msg tools
In this case, when the game is certain to be released, you might just wait and see how the prices compare.

However, if this were a P500 situation, it would be your moral duty to order 'Bertram J. Croft's "This Frosty Hell of Night: Bulge '44"' and then complain later when all the words on the map are misspelled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I did "P500" Blackbeard. But I'll wait and see for Pompeii. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on some "vestal virgins with all preorders" deal for those "in the know"...

Thanks

Antonio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.