flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder One Night Ultimate Werewolf now from www.beziergames.com
badge
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=223672846725

I've created a survey for Age of Steam players to find out what they'd like to see in AoS expansions. This information will be used to help map designers and publishers create the maps that you want! Even if you've only played the "Rust Belt" map (which comes with the base game), your input is important!

Once enough information is gathered, I will post the results so that all current and future AoS map designers/publishers can use the information (and so you can see what your fellow AoS players are interested in as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting survey. Almost like you have a marketing background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
Interesting survey. Almost like you have a marketing background.

I have no idea what you are talking about, Dave. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I filled out the survey, but thought I'd try and leave some comments.

Of course, I'd prefer a mounted gameboard, though this hasn't stopped my from getting the two sets Ted Alspach put out. My biggest thing is that I'd prefer they all fit in the original box, so the fact that the Disco Inferno maps weren't creased was annoying. I don't want to crease the maps myself and ruin them, but I don't really want to have to carry around and extra case or tube or whatever. This is the main reason I haven't grabbed the Steam Brother's maps so far.

I HATE that some maps have severly limited print runs that are only available at Essen. I spend far too much on maps already, I'm not paying out the (you know what) for #44 of 180, especially when the map is mostly white with a grid of hexes.

I don't mind printing out my own maps, but don't expect me to pay much to download the image...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was going to save my comments until the survey is closed to prevent the legion of copycat votes from my devoted following.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has been reprinted once already, and there is talk of a second reprint. In this survey of desires for expansions - how about a reprint of some of the earlier expansions, particularly #1!!!

There must be many of us who came to this great game too late for the first expansion, now long out of print; and, given that it is still the highest rated of them all, I for one would rather see that come back than any number of theoretical new ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
...I for one would rather see that come back than any number of theoretical new ones.

Really? I mean, as the number of new expansions nears infinity, the odds that one of them will be better than the first exp. approach 1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the thing you need to keep in mind is that the reprinting of Expansion #1 is currently a quagmire because Warfrog no longer prints games themselves. Martin Wallace designed #1, and it will be his call if that particular map-pairing is ever re-released. It might happen, or it might not. I don't doubt that it would sell, because the first run was so limited, but to me the question is probably one of practicality: finding a publisher, raising the money, &c.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Elliott
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, just out of curiosity, if we wanted to send copious amounts of mail begging and pleading for a reprint of Expansion #1 (or at least a free download thereof), who should we annoy contact? And at what address would we be able to reach said company and/or individual? I'm all about campaigning for a reprint, but I don't know how to go about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
dead gerbil wrote:
So, just out of curiosity, if we wanted to send copious amounts of mail begging and pleading for a reprint of Expansion #1 (or at least a free download thereof), who should we annoy contact? And at what address would we be able to reach said company and/or individual? I'm all about campaigning for a reprint, but I don't know how to go about it.

Martin's BGG User ID is Frog1...but he is already quite aware that people are interested in a reprint. As I said, the complication at this point is because his own publishing house, Warfrog, are no longer publishing their own games and Martin does not have the capital necessary to just have 2000-3000 hard board maps printed up.

Right now, I wouldn't expect a reprint of #1 until at least after the third edition of AoS has been pressed. Currently there are only 6000 english language AoS base games, and an unknown number of Asian ones while there are 2000 Expansion #1 boards. If another 2000 #1's, or even 3000 were printed then the stock would likely end up stagnating, and take forever to sell through. Again, this is bad for an independent person without a lot of liquid capital.

And as for the free download: no chance. The map is definitely worth money, even if it were only as a download.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll post more details once the survey gets >100 responses (right now it's around 80 or so), but a few things are quite clear already:

1) Mechanics is the most important aspect of expansions
2) The "outline" style (used by Winsome) of maps is generally disliked
3) Fewer changes are much more desired than more changes

No big surprises so far, except that AoS players are all over the map (heh, get it?) when it comes to what they like and want in an AoS expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.