Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my RPG blog at http://www.usandacat.com/thelair!
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi HoN Peeps: My son and I have played twice and have some questions. We are big Tide Of Iron and Memoir 44 fans if that helps explain our questions.

1) In the last game my son had like 5 units crowded around BEHIND a machine gun nest (i.e. so the nest could not attack them). The nest has defense light vehicle 8. Every one of his troops had +1 light vehicle. Since you can't roll a 7 on a d6 does that mean my son's units are out of luck? Are there rules for several units attacking one target like in Tide Of Iron? If so I could not find them.

2) We need a help on the Initiative card. The way we interpret it the card lets the other player activate his token first then the player who was interrupted gets 2 moves in a row. Is this right? For example.
2.1) Germans have initiative.
2.2) US plays initiative and plays their #1 unit.
2.3) German plays their #1 unit.
2.4) German plays their #2 unit.
2.5) US plays their #2 unit.
2.6) Continue.

3) In step 2.2 above does the US players HAVE to play his #1 unit or could he play his #3 unit for example? If he can play his #3 what happens when you read #3?

4) Victory points are really hard to figure out. If I read the rules right if you kill enough guys in the group to equal of exceed the number of red X's you get the points on the back of the chip/slate. Is that right?

5) There is a scrambled communication card that seems really powerful. you can force another player to lose one of their activation tokens AFTER they have placed them on the map. If I do that and pick out the #1 token how does the turn progress? Example again...
5.1) US plays scrambled communication card and picks the German #1 token.
5.2) German has initiative.
5.3) Does German plays #2 OR does US play #1? We are playing that German plays #2. Which is right?

I think those are our questions right now...thanks!
John T>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wolf
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how we have played it..

1) Assault the machine gun nest would be a better option. Units in an Assault do NOT use their DEFENSE value but both sides roll a die or dice and the higher roll with appropriate bonuses wins. Otherwise without a buff of some kind yeah you not gonna hurt the nest.

2) The initiative card simply changes initiative to the player who uses that card. Turn progression continues normally. The interrupted player simply no longer has initiative.

3) Yes you must use you units in Turn Order. So yes #1 first.

4) Victory points are awarded when enough units in the Unit Tile have been destroyed.. red squares. On a side note destroyed units MUST be applied to upgrade tiles first before applying them against the main Unit Tile.

5) As with the Initiative card the turn progresses normally. If you get to a player who does not have a unit with the number being played he is skipped and play continues to the next player with an active number. If you lose your #3 you lose an activation for that phase.. so your opponent may end up going twice.

On a side note the file below with the Rules Rewrite is very concise and helps clear up a LOT of the issues over the official rule book. If I am wrong on any of these points someone will correct me I am sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wolf
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again I REALLY recommend this

http://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/qu3z2ovq98/HoN_Unoffi...

He did an awesome job on the manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caamora wrote:

+1 thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) As stated earlier Assault the machine gun nest. But its best to first suppress it as that reduces its die roll value during assault. What I've done is use "Burst into Action" card on a Support unit, fire for suppression as I'm moving to Assault (via the card ability) then Assault the nest at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a sec...with Burst Into action you can shoot AND assault!?! Is that right!?! Wow...gross.

Most of the standard units don't have the suppress icon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Caamora wrote:

Thanks. Downloading these now. I downloaded a different one where the rules are inset into the main text. I don't think I saw this one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Assault the machine gun nest would be a better option. Units in an Assault do NOT use their DEFENSE value but both sides roll a die or dice and the higher roll with appropriate bonuses wins. Otherwise without a buff of some kind yeah you not gonna hurt the nest.
[John] Is I assault a machine gun nest from outside of it's arc what is it's offensive value? Do I still use the same number?

2) The initiative card simply changes initiative to the player who uses that card. Turn progression continues normally. The interrupted player simply no longer has initiative.
[John] Gotcha. Makes sense.

3) Yes you must use you units in Turn Order. So yes #1 first.
[John] Gotcha. Ok.

4) Victory points are awarded when enough units in the Unit Tile have been destroyed.. red squares. On a side note destroyed units MUST be applied to upgrade tiles first before applying them against the main Unit Tile.
[John] Ah...ok.

5) As with the Initiative card the turn progresses normally. If you get to a player who does not have a unit with the number being played he is skipped and play continues to the next player with an active number. If you lose your #3 you lose an activation for that phase.. so your opponent may end up going twice.
[John] Wow...ugly...alright...

On a side note the file below with the Rules Rewrite is very concise and helps clear up a LOT of the issues over the official rule book. If I am wrong on any of these points someone will correct me I am sure.
[John] Downloading that now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnTaber wrote:
[John] Is I assault a machine gun nest from outside of it's arc what is it's offensive value? Do I still use the same number?

"Assault and Units with Firing Arc (see Firing Arc, p.9)
If a unit is assaulted from a space outside its firing arc,
immediately assign it a Suppressed token and resolve the
assault." (1.2b, p. 8)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
JohnTaber wrote:

assault." (1.2b, p. 8)

Thanks! I missed that!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Doyle

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caamora wrote:

IIRC This card must be played during the Orders Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Raz
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnTaber wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:
JohnTaber wrote:

assault." (1.2b, p. 8)

Thanks! :D I missed that!!! :D

Missed that one as well. That's pretty huge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the Initiative Action Card, our interpretation or the way we understood it, is that if your unit is activated to shoot at my unit and you have the Initiative for that turn, then the Initiative card allows my unit (if not activated) to act first since I don't have initiative for that turn. Game continues as per normal after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your interpretation if I understand it (confusing as it is) is not correct.

Card is played during Orders phase. Side with initiative does the following:

1) During order phase, places order token first, followed by other player, then each remaining token, successively one-by-one

2) During activation phase, reveals order tokens first. So player with activation reveals Order #1 token (if available) and activates unit, either firing, moving/assaulting. Player without initiative may then reveal Order #1 (if available)

I say "if available" because a unit with #1 may have been eliminated (by player with initiative or special order token) or lost order or ability to activate due to card effect, etc.

3) When both players play action cards at the same time, the player with initiative plays first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.