Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Fields of Fire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Couple of Questions After My First Couple of Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got this in a trade and have gotten some games in during spring break.
I thought I had a handle on the rules after rereading the rules and watching some videos, but I still have some questions.

1. I'm still not sure how on the map mortar fire works. Do I need to give the mortar section a radio/ field phone or can I just have an officer with them, like the CO? It says to place a VOF, but do I need to make a check? I figured that because they were marked G!, I would make a grenade check, but I wasn't sure.

2. I can't see to find what happens to an officers assets if he is killed then replaced. Because the casualty was in the same card I just gave the smoke, phone, wire, etc... to the "promoted" step.

3. If a three step squad takes 2 effects, say "C F" its reduced to a casualty and 2 fire teams. If it's an A VOF rated squad it's second fire team has a A VOF as well. If a three step G! Squad gets hit in the same way do they just go to 2 regular teams?

4. What do I do if the description of an enemy unit isn't on the chart for enemy activity? Specifically, last turn I reduced a squad to a fire team, but couldn't hit them this turn. They lost their "pinned" status, but are still a LAT, I think, but "fire team under cover not on a US occupied card" wasn't an option.

5. What do I so if an enemy is on a bunker or pillbox, but in retreat out of its 'line of fire', but still in line of sight of the card?
Say its on the 2nd column, pointing towards my staging area. I move to the 1st column, I still have a VOF on them , but unless they leave the emplacement they don't have a VOF on me. How do I proceed? Would they become exposed looking for a new piece of cover? What if I moved back, would they move to the emplacement because it's better cover or stay? What if I move on to the bunker, are they able to attack me from the emplacement?

6. What happens to a "retreating" paralyzed team if they move off board onto the staging area? I assume I don't lose them and could go rally them and bring them back if really wanted to.

7. When does the game end? In mission 1 if I secure both objectives and clear the rows I'm supposed to by turn, say 5, can I call the mission completed? I assume I can't because of the potential of counter attacks, but I wanted to know.

Part two to this are "reattempts" supposed to be so easy? I cleared two rows and the objectives, of their markers not the revealed units, but couldn't secure the objectives.
Reattempt, I started in the first row without LOS to any of the revealed units so they "disappeared" at the first enemy activity. With how it was set up I only had to clear the two objectives because everything else was out of the area of operations. Did I game the system or do something wrong?

Thank you advanced everyone! I really dig this game despite how hard it is to learn, I've gotten a friends interested in it just by telling him the "narrative" that developed during the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joetaco wrote:
Just got this in a trade and have gotten some games in during spring break.
I thought I had a handle on the rules after rereading the rules and watching some videos, but I still have some questions.

1. I'm still not sure how on the map mortar fire works. Do I need to give the mortar section a radio/ field phone or can I just have an officer with them, like the CO? It says to place a VOF, but do I need to make a check? I figured that because they were marked G!, I would make a grenade check, but I wasn't sure.


They work like any other unit. They need to receive an order. Either from a higher echelon (CO HQ or Staff, or, if attached to a PLT the PLT HQ) or through general initiave.

Once they receive the order they fire by drawing cards (2 +/-) checking for the Grenade symbol.

I think that in the current official rules you cannot use them for indirect fire, but in the upcoming new volume and new rules you will be able to do that.


joetaco wrote:
2. I can't see to find what happens to an officers assets if he is killed then replaced. Because the casualty was in the same card I just gave the smoke, phone, wire, etc... to the "promoted" step.`


They are dropped in the spot with the possibility of breaking (at least radios/telephones and lines). I am pretty sure it is in the current edition rules (it certainly is on the next). Then you will have to order "pick up" to a unit to pick it up.

joetaco wrote:
3. If a three step squad takes 2 effects, say "C F" its reduced to a casualty and 2 fire teams. If it's an A VOF rated squad it's second fire team has a A VOF as well. If a three step G! Squad gets hit in the same way do they just go to 2 regular teams?


They become 2 Fire teams. As usual.

joetaco wrote:
4. What do I do if the description of an enemy unit isn't on the chart for enemy activity? Specifically, last turn I reduced a squad to a fire team, but couldn't hit them this turn. They lost their "pinned" status, but are still a LAT, I think, but "fire team under cover not on a US occupied card" wasn't an option.


You are misreading something because I am pretty sure there is one that applies. I don't have the charts handy but if you read each line to see if it fits you will see there is a spot.

joetaco wrote:
5. What do I so if an enemy is on a bunker or pillbox, but in retreat out of its 'line of fire', but still in line of sight of the card?
Say its on the 2nd column, pointing towards my staging area. I move to the 1st column, I still have a VOF on them , but unless they leave the emplacement they don't have a VOF on me. How do I proceed? Would they become exposed looking for a new piece of cover? What if I moved back, would they move to the emplacement because it's better cover or stay? What if I move on to the bunker, are they able to attack me from the emplacement?


Follow the chart carefully. In this case I think it would be "fire from a different direction than its PDF" and act accordingly.

joetaco wrote:
6. What happens to a "retreating" paralyzed team if they move off board onto the staging area? I assume I don't lose them and could go rally them and bring them back if really wanted to.


That is my interpretation as well.

joetaco wrote:
7. When does the game end? In mission 1 if I secure both objectives and clear the rows I'm supposed to by turn, say 5, can I call the mission completed? I assume I can't because of the potential of counter attacks, but I wanted to know.


At the end of turn 10. And yes, I have suffered a counterattack on turn 9.

joetaco wrote:
Part two to this are "reattempts" supposed to be so easy? I cleared two rows and the objectives, of their markers not the revealed units, but couldn't secure the objectives.
Reattempt, I started in the first row without LOS to any of the revealed units so they "disappeared" at the first enemy activity. With how it was set up I only had to clear the two objectives because everything else was out of the area of operations. Did I game the system or do something wrong?


No problem. Reattempts are supposed to be easier. Consider what the game is representing. You have been told by BN HQ that you need to take that Hill. You cannot take it one day, but you stay in your positions (and don't lose ground) for a push on day 2. It is going to be easier.

But remember you have to play the full 10 turns. That is 10 opportunities for a counterattack!

4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few adjustments to Antonio's answers:

joetaco wrote:
1. I'm still not sure how on the map mortar fire works. Do I need to give the mortar section a radio/ field phone or can I just have an officer with them, like the CO? It says to place a VOF, but do I need to make a check? I figured that because they were marked G!, I would make a grenade check, but I wasn't sure.


Per 6.7.4 of the rules, a 1 step mortar section fires in direct lay "just like any other infantry unit". I take that to mean they automatically open fire on any enemies in LOS w/o orders or spending a command.

2 and 3 step mortar squads will do direct lay similar to the 1 step mortar team, but can also do indirect fire. In that case, you need a radio with them (usually a CO Staff or PLT HQ) and have to give them an order similar to other indirect fires (i.e. you need a spotter and someone to command them to fire) except there is no card draw. They just open fire automatically for 1 turn.

joetaco wrote:

3. If a three step squad takes 2 effects, say "C F" its reduced to a casualty and 2 fire teams. If it's an A VOF rated squad it's second fire team has a A VOF as well. If a three step G! Squad gets hit in the same way do they just go to 2 regular teams?


See 6.9.2 (especially the example) and the Squad Breakdown section at the back of the rules. I tend to just automatically assign casualties to the right-most available squad, since the example in 6.9.2 describes leaving an A rated team as the last fire team.

joetaco wrote:

4. What do I do if the description of an enemy unit isn't on the chart for enemy activity? Specifically, last turn I reduced a squad to a fire team, but couldn't hit them this turn. They lost their "pinned" status, but are still a LAT, I think, but "fire team under cover not on a US occupied card" wasn't an option.


Per 9.4 "...if there is no row that applies to the unit in its current
state, then that enemy unit does nothing". This also applies if the drawn action is invalid (and there's no alternative action listed).

However, as Antonio said, it is pretty rare that an enemy unit falls through the entire enemy activity charts without one of the items applying.

joetaco wrote:

5. What do I so if an enemy is on a bunker or pillbox, but in retreat out of its 'line of fire', but still in line of sight of the card?
Say its on the 2nd column, pointing towards my staging area. I move to the 1st column, I still have a VOF on them , but unless they leave the emplacement they don't have a VOF on me. How do I proceed? Would they become exposed looking for a new piece of cover? What if I moved back, would they move to the emplacement because it's better cover or stay? What if I move on to the bunker, are they able to attack me from the emplacement?


Pillboxes and bunkers can only fire in the direction indicated by the arrow. Given that, moving out of that specific line of fire is often the best thing to do.

You still follow the Enemy Activity Check. If the check says that they move/retreat, they are exposed (see 5.1.2 for exceptions). If the check is something invalid for the unit in the pillbox/bunker do the alternative or nothing (again 9.4).
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! Really helps clear up some of the uncertainties I had.

abendoso wrote:

joetaco wrote:
5. What do I so if an enemy is on a bunker or pillbox, but in retreat out of its 'line of fire', but still in line of sight of the card?
Say its on the 2nd column, pointing towards my staging area. I move to the 1st column, I still have a VOF on them , but unless they leave the emplacement they don't have a VOF on me. How do I proceed? Would they become exposed looking for a new piece of cover? What if I moved back, would they move to the emplacement because it's better cover or stay? What if I move on to the bunker, are they able to attack me from the emplacement?


Follow the chart carefully. In this case I think it would be "fire from a different direction than its PDF" and act accordingly.


Still not sure about this one. I thought because they weren't firing they didn't have a PDF or rather that Enemy PDFs went away "automatically".

It is the only thing that makes sense though, so I can run with that, but I don't know how they would shift fire if their fire direction is limited to an area without targets.

Along those lines are they still limited by the bunker if I move up to point blank range with an assault team?
I assume they get to shoot me then and make grenade/ counter grenade attacks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joetaco wrote:
Thanks everyone! Really helps clear up some of the uncertainties I had.

abendoso wrote:

joetaco wrote:
5. What do I so if an enemy is on a bunker or pillbox, but in retreat out of its 'line of fire', but still in line of sight of the card?
Say its on the 2nd column, pointing towards my staging area. I move to the 1st column, I still have a VOF on them , but unless they leave the emplacement they don't have a VOF on me. How do I proceed? Would they become exposed looking for a new piece of cover? What if I moved back, would they move to the emplacement because it's better cover or stay? What if I move on to the bunker, are they able to attack me from the emplacement?


Follow the chart carefully. In this case I think it would be "fire from a different direction than its PDF" and act accordingly.


Still not sure about this one. I thought because they weren't firing they didn't have a PDF or rather that Enemy PDFs went away "automatically".

It is the only thing that makes sense though, so I can run with that, but I don't know how they would shift fire if their fire direction is limited to an area without targets.

Along those lines are they still limited by the bunker if I move up to point blank range with an assault team?
I assume they get to shoot me then and make grenade/ counter grenade attacks.


At least in the latest version units in Bunkers cannot fire to their own card. But I am not sure on previous versions.

The other possibility, considering they don't have a PDF in place, is that you read the line "No LOS to a US unit". You would take out the unit and place a PC counter.

I would need to see the table!.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.