Subject: Love/hate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Hannouche
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own standard vanilla Monopoly and Monopoly Jr., which taught me how to play Monopoly as a kid. When I was nine years old, Monopoly was my favorite game. Unfortunately, my family despised it. My sister even socked me in the nose when I asked her to play it with me. I have a nostalgic love for Monopoly, but I also disdain it for causing so many people aversion from hobby gaming as they assume all my games are like Monopoly. I am quite grateful that I can always steer them in the right direction with games like Settlers of Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Retroin wrote:
My sister even socked me in the nose when I asked her to play it with me.

Much anger in her.

Monopoly doesn't deserve the terrible rap it has. It's not a great/awesome/groundbreaking game sure, but it preps you to move on to bigger and better. It long play time prepares young wargamers for 14 hour WWII slug fests. It's trade mechanic preps players for games like Catan and Advanced Civilization. It's roll and move style preps young Ameritrashers to throw hundreds of dice in a single attack.

Monopoly prepared all of us for what was to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Shafer
United States
Hedgies Hang
flag msg tools
designer
"It is a pity we so often succeed in our endeavors to deceive each other." -Empress Irene
mbmbmbmbmb
Retroin wrote:
I own standard vanilla Monopoly and Monopoly Jr., which taught me how to play Monopoly as a kid. When I was nine years old, Monopoly was my favorite game. Unfortunately, my family despised it. My sister even socked me in the nose when I asked her to play it with me. I have a nostalgic love for Monopoly, but I also disdain it for causing so many people aversion from hobby gaming as they assume all my games are like Monopoly. I am quite grateful that I can always steer them in the right direction with games like Settlers of Catan.

laugh
If that were my daughter, I would have told you to go to your room and rewarded her with your helping of dessert after dinner.

What a wonderful girl!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
She did the right thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Stewart
Scotland
ELGIN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
She did the right thing.

As long as she whipped out Descent after right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I loved Monopoly.

And I am corrupting the next generation because my 6 year old played Monopoly Jr. for a while but likes me to pull out the regular version and play once in a while. We do this with some "house" rule adjustments for her age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.