Olli Mäkiketola
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I collected some of rules that easily are played wrong or were unclear to me at some point. Looking at list makes me feels stupid... Like in rules treasure card* stands for either treasure or red card it was replaced with. This is a summarization of most rules questions here and some of those we had to check in our first game. I hope this is useful to new players. I did this mostly because I hated myself when I was badly prepared and too much of playing time was spent on finding & interpreting rules. yuk

- Only in two-player game you take out 30 civilization cards before play. (Mistranslation on rules translation here on bgg)
- Scorepile is face up. You may not look through even your own scorepile! (basic rules)
- Leader may be placed on a civilization tile connecting two columns
- Leader may NOT be placed on a ship
- Leader may NOT be moved out-of-play
- Ships are not of any color and so doesn't count during conflicts. They also cannot be destroyed as a result of an conflict
- You can play a card to scorepile when playing a card that allows you to turn 4 cards in a column to a ship
- Converting 4 cards to a ship causes leaders to return back to their owners
- Catastrophe card may remove civilization card connecting two kingdoms
- Catastrophe card may NOT remove card where leader stands on, a ship or treasure card*
- A column is considered kingdom even without a leader in it.
- You may NOT merge two kingdoms if two adjacent columns doesn't have three cards under treasure card* (= 4 total) (even if kingdoms have more than 4 cards both via connection to other colunms)
- Merging two kingdoms is possible only between two treasure cards*
- Maximum number of cards in column is 9, including treasure card*
- You can score in conflicts by playing a card from your hand even if no cards are played
- Green leader's ability works only when two kingdoms have merged. If s/he doesn't have a red card to exchange with treasure card, then s/he shall wait for next merger involving that kingdom. (This seems only reasonable interpretation of rules.)
- After two actions you can play cards matching colors on ships to your scorepile if you have matching leader in same kingdom as a ship. Black leader cannot substitute other colors. Then everyone draws cards back to 8.

Finally, I'm not sure on status of this rule:
- If you have two ships in a kingdom with blue leader you only score 1 point

Checking rules translation here, it seems scoring is per leader, not per ship. Maybe someone fluent in German could verify this, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orski wrote:
- Only in two-player game you take out 30 civilization cards before play. (Mistranslation on rules translation here on bgg)

Good to remember, as I probably would have forgotten. Haven't played any two player games.

Quote:
- Scorepile is face up. You may not look through even your own scorepile! (basic rules)
- Leader may be placed on a civilization tile connecting two columns
- Leader may NOT be placed on a ship
- Leader may NOT be moved out-of-play

This is a change from the board game. Hadn't noticed it. But removing a leader doesn't happen very often in the board game.

Quote:
- Ships are not of any color and so doesn't count during conflicts. They also cannot be destroyed as a result of an conflict
- You can play a card to scorepile when playing a card that allows you to turn 4 cards in a column to a ship
- Converting 4 cards to a ship causes leaders to return back to their owners

Something that can't happen in the board game when building monuments. May have missed this one myself.

Quote:
- Catastrophe card may remove civilization card connecting two kingdoms
- Catastrophe card may NOT remove card where leader stands on, a ship or treasure card*
- A column is considered kingdom even without a leader in it.
- You may NOT merge two kingdoms if two adjacent columns doesn't have three cards under treasure card* (= 4 total) (even if kingdoms have more than 4 cards both via connection to other colunms)
- Merging two kingdoms is possible only between two treasure cards*
- Maximum number of cards in column is 9, including treasure card*
- You can score in conflicts by playing a card from your hand even if no cards are played
- Green leader's ability works only when two kingdoms have merged. If s/he doesn't have a red card to exchange with treasure card, then s/he shall wait for next merger involving that kingdom. (This seems only reasonable interpretation of rules.)

This would be quite different than the board game, which states that you can score a treasure after any action is complete. Your interpretation would not allow a player to place a green leader into a kingdom with two treasures to claim one. IMO this should be allowed, as it takes place "after two kingdoms are connected", even though it happens on a later action.

Quote:
- After two actions you can play cards matching colors on ships to your scorepile if you have matching leader in same kingdom as a ship. Black leader cannot substitute other colors. Then everyone draws cards back to 8.

Finally, I'm not sure on status of this rule:
- If you have two ships in a kingdom with blue leader you only score 1 point

Checking rules translation here, it seems scoring is per leader, not per ship. Maybe someone fluent in German could verify this, please.

On this last point the English rules say "for each leader ... with a ship ... earns 1 victory point." (My emphasis) It also says that "a player may earn several extra victory points". I agree that this is unclear. In keeping with the board game, we have been scoring a point for each leader/ship match in a kingdom.

Thanks for posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Mäkiketola
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AllenDoum wrote:
This would be quite different than the board game, which states that you can score a treasure after any action is complete. Your interpretation would not allow a player to place a green leader into a kingdom with two treasures to claim one. IMO this should be allowed, as it takes place "after two kingdoms are connected", even though it happens on a later action.

Actually I never considered situation where you only later place a green leader into a kingdom after merger. In that case it feels wrong not to let a green leader to trade for treasure card. Rules doesn't cover this one too specifically. IMO there is some point of being strict with this rule since in card game scores are lower and every one point is more valuable. Hmm. shake How can this be so hard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard coveney
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!
Since you seem to know this game a lot, another rule question for you: can you put a leader on a card of the same color or does it have to be different? According to different translations of the rules I read,the color can be different (French, translated by Loic Boisnier, English,BGG files) or has to be different from that of the leader
French, translated by Cylmoryl 2005)...
Do you know what to official rule says?
Montcalm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Mäkiketola
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm far from an rules expert for this particular game. What it's worth, I've always played that you can place leaders freely to a card of any color (including treasure cards) but not onto a ship. But this is only because I've read rules translation here on geek and trusted that one to be correct.

Actually Rio Grande has English rules available as a download on their site and there it also says that "... leader need not match the color ...". So I'd say that one French translation probably contains error in that particular rule.

As a bonus: (I went through the trouble to write that before I realized RG might have their rules on net.)

If anyone is interested in what "official" (original german) rules say about it, here goes: "Die Farbe des Anführers muss nicht mit der Farbe der Karte überinstimmen, ..."
But don't ask me how that translates as I don't know too much of a German. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Jackson
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orski wrote:
I'm far from an rules expert for this particular game. What it's worth, I've always played that you can place leaders freely to a card of any color (including treasure cards) but not onto a ship. But this is only because I've read rules translation here on geek and trusted that one to be correct.

Actually Rio Grande has English rules available as a download on their site and there it also says that "... leader need not match the color ...". So I'd say that one French translation probably contains error in that particular rule.

As a bonus: (I went through the trouble to write that before I realized RG might have their rules on net.)

If anyone is interested in what "official" (original german) rules say about it, here goes: "Die Farbe des Anführers muss nicht mit der Farbe der Karte überinstimmen, ..."
But don't ask me how that translates as I don't know too much of a German. :-)

The color of the leader must not agree(correspond) with the color of the ticket(map)- from reverso.net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Goergens
United Kingdom
Cambridge
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
"The color of the leader must not agree(correspond) with the color of the ticket(map)- from reverso.net "

That literal translation is wrong. Right:

"The color of the leader may not agree with the color of the card."

Although "muss" is "must" and "darf" is "may", "muss nicht" is "may not" and "darf nicht" is "must not".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.