8 Posts

Thunderstone Advance: Root of Corruption» Forums » Rules

Subject: [Yet some more] Circle of Protection questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
They come with fire, they come with axes... gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning! Destroyers and usurpers, curse them!
badge
When Summer lies upon the world, and in a noon of gold, Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold; When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West, Come back to me! Come back to me, and say my land is best!
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Does it REALLY provide 1 Light for as long as it stays in front of you? Isn't that broken? What if there are no (or not much) monsters with Aftermath effects (and Raid/Breach is rare anyway)? You can just play 3 Circles and forget about light! And it costs only 3 gold!

2) Is the raid/breach/aftermath effect is canceled for everyone, or just for the player with the Circle in front of him?

3) What about Guardians? They have Breach: move to rank 0. What happens when a Guardian breaches, does he just stay at rank 1 for the rest of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Take this with a grain of salt, because I've only played with this card a handful of times.

Th334 wrote:
1) Does it REALLY provide 1 Light for as long as it stays in front of you? Isn't that broken? What if there are no (or not much) monsters with Aftermath effects (and Raid/Breach is rare anyway)? You can just play 3 Circles and forget about light! And it costs only 3 gold!

I'd say yes. I wouldn't call it broken, but rather a strategy. Buying into this card early and putting it into play on your next trip to the Village/Dungeon would be a sound investment in Light. Do that three times, and you've basically ignored Light for the rest of the game. That would be super cool. At the same time, you're doing this instead of buying other cards that might give you Light + other useful abilities. So it's a tradeoff.

Th334 wrote:
2) Is the raid/breach/aftermath effect is canceled for everyone, or just for the player with the Circle in front of him?

The trait cancels the effect on my turn, so if that effect would have affected other players, yes, they are unaffected just as I am unaffected. If I think nasty Breach effects (e.g., from Spiders) will harm my opponent's more than me, I probably don't want to invest in this card.

Th334 wrote:
3) What about Guardians? They have Breach: move to rank 0. What happens when a Guardian breaches, does he just stay at rank 1 for the rest of the game?

Technically, yes it would, since there's nothing about Guardians that protects them from having their Breach effects canceled. So the Guardian would be prevented from unleashing its often devastating Breach effect, but also would be harder to kill (since it would still be in rank 1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Builder
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darquil wrote:
Technically, yes it would, since there's nothing about Guardians that protects them from having their Breach effects canceled. So the Guardian would be prevented from unleashing its often devastating Breach effect, but also would be harder to kill (since it would still be in rank 1).

I wonder how you would handle this situation in solo play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
jellyfish1 wrote:
I wonder how you would handle this situation in solo play?

Good question. Do the solo rules mention that monsters reaching rank 1 escape to the score pile as a Breach effect (as if a Breach effect were printed on the card)? I would guess that the solo rules trump CoP, in that monsters still escape to the score pile (otherwise Solo becomes unplayable), so then it's just a matter of what happens to Guardians in solo; do they move to rank 0, or escape to the score pile? If the latter, then I think they would continue to do so, despite CoP; if the former, then I'd probably play that if CoP shuts down their Breach, then they escape to the scorepile instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
They come with fire, they come with axes... gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning! Destroyers and usurpers, curse them!
badge
When Summer lies upon the world, and in a noon of gold, Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold; When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West, Come back to me! Come back to me, and say my land is best!
mbmbmbmbmb
darquil wrote:
Th334 wrote:

Not sure if I like this much. I mean, if CoP was at least cost 7, okay. But a cheap cost 3 spell that can stop Guardians?.. Don't know. Why does the game exist in the first place? If people could buy CoPs and seal all Dungeons, there would be no need for heroes

I think we might make Guardians immune to CoP as a house rule. They are immune to being moved about in the Dungeon, so it's not that much of a stretch to make them immune to an effect that would stop them from moving out of the Dungeon. I think.

But then, maybe this house rule will take away an interesting gameplay situation? In a competitive game, I don't think many players will go out of their way to spend a turn buying and playing CoP to stop a Guardian who affects everybody, unless they are afraid of his effect much more than other players are. So maybe even if we leave it as it is, it not gonna be used in this manner much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darquil wrote:
Th334 wrote:

I'd say yes. I wouldn't call it broken, but rather a strategy. Buying into this card early and putting it into play on your next trip to the Village/Dungeon would be a sound investment in Light. Do that three times, and you've basically ignored Light for the rest of the game. That would be super cool. At the same time, you're doing this instead of buying other cards that might give you Light + other useful abilities. So it's a tradeoff.

You're right. It seems like a decent trade-off, with it's own risks. It takes a turn to buy CoP, and then it takes a slot into your hand to activate it, and, most importantly, Aftermath effects are common, and some of them are actually beneficial. Plus, you'll need to do it 2-3 times.

I have another question. Do I understand correctly that if you have 3 CoPs in front of you, and something triggers it, only one CoP will be destroyed, right? Not all 3 of them? I'm really tempted to make it so that all of them are destroyed, which makes this strategy good for adding 1 Light, but much more risky for adding 3 Light devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Th334 wrote:
I have another question. Do I understand correctly that if you have 3 CoPs in front of you, and something triggers it, only one CoP will be destroyed, right? Not all 3 of them? I'm really tempted to make it so that all of them are destroyed, which makes this strategy good for adding 1 Light, but much more risky for adding 3 Light devil

That's right; only one gets destroyed. This was clarified by AEG, and makes sense, because we have to resolve things sequentially (even if arbitrarily). After the first card fires and destroys itself to cancel the effect, there is now no effect for the other cards to fire against.

Your variant sounds like Unstable Circle of Protection. "Don't protect yourself too well; you might suffocate!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darquil wrote:
Your variant sounds like Unstable Circle of Protection. "Don't protect yourself too well; you might suffocate!"

Not a bad concept, if you ask me! Something like this:

Evil Eye Charm, magic item.

0 gold value

Magic Attack +1

Village/Dungeon: put this card in front of you, it remains in play.

When Evil Eye Charm is in front of you, if you gain a curse, destroy this card and one curse that triggered this effect.

When a Guardian enters the Dungeon Hall, destroy all Evil Eye Charms in front of you. You gain the number of curses equal to the number of Evil Eye Charms destroyed this way.

"Don't protect yourself too well; you might suffocate!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.