Daniel Hausknecht
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I own Descent second Edition + Trollfens Expansion. I would like to enlarge my collection, but I am not sure, what is the best choose.

We are going to try legendary Descent rules - (random tiles exploration and spawn of monsters), and if my group will like it, I certainly will play a lot of this.
We also like the original quests, but usually we only play 1 to 3 of them, never got to play the campaign as whole, because I have more groups and almost all time, there are different people playing.

What I want to add mostly are new heroes, new classes and items, to make the game more fresh for hero players and also add new monsters and cards for overlord, so there is better variabillity what I can bring on the table.

Please give me Your advices. My budget for this is value like 1 big expansion or one small expansion + one box of Hero+monster collection. (I dont want conversion kit, because i dont have the minis of original game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a small expansion plus hero/monster collection will give you more heroes and monsters to choose from than a large expansion, but a large expansion will have more hero classes, overlord cards, and map tiles. I'd personallygo with a large expansion, but opinions may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hausknecht
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are any expansions better than other? (in terms of how much fun they bring to the table, and how interesting mechanics/monsters and heroes they have?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have many myself, so i can't answer that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jr. Rosbach
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Go for Labyrinth of Ruin. It will add four heroes, four classes, four monsters, a new set of Basic Overlord cards, ally rules, and around 19 quests. Also it will give you the Overgrowth rules for use in custom maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also advise for a big box expansion, however I strongly prefer Shadows of Nerekhall.

I am enjoying the hero classes of this expansion much more than Labyrinth and I think the monsters are more unique and more fun to use than in LoR.
The bard, the image centered conjurer, the shadow-soul familiar featuring scout class and the dual wielding skirmisher are imo in both fun and creativity heaps above the more traditional classes of Labyrinth of ruins (hexer, beastmaster, apothecary and the dreaded treasure hunter).

The map tiles of Nerekhall introduce a city/sewer-esque theme with a lot of options for highly interconnected maps, whereas Labyrinth comes with gras/temple kind of tiles that feature huge rooms that can be used for a kind of battlefield feeling.

Additionally the new campaign of SoN is extremely good (featuring a good number of epic 1-encounter quests), introducing special mechanisms to the quests that make the map/scenario much more meaningfull, interactive and come to life than most other campaigns manage to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hausknecht
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, im thinking of getting the Shadows of Nerekhall I also wanted advice on monster pack - i need some more smaller creatures in big numbers like goblin archers and zombies, which of the packs would you advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Parparian
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the conversion kit. It will give overlord and players the most options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wallack Wallack
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Honestly I prefer to buy the expansions in the order they were released.

On the other hand if you don't mind not having the miniatures and/or can proxy them, the conversion kit is a good "expansion" to buy, it comes with 45 more heroes and 25 monsters (with their act 1 and 2 cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite not having 1st edition Descent, I personally still went with the conversion kit option as I found it easy to proxy the heroes,using minis from games like Talisman, Dungeonquest, and WoW. There is a file I downloaded from somewhere (possibly here on BGG?) that has printable stand up representations of the monsters that will be substitutes until you eventually decide to get the real things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaily wrote:
Thanks guys, im thinking of getting the Shadows of Nerekhall I also wanted advice on monster pack - i need some more smaller creatures in big numbers like goblin archers and zombies, which of the packs would you advice?

I would also advise getting the CK (contains cards for all heroes and monsters that will be released in the H&M packs) , if you have no problems proxying your monsters. I mainly use my Descent 2 minis for that purpose and it works fairly well.

As for H&M packs for small monsters, there is my favorite released H&M pack to date, the Crusade of the Forgotten. It comes with the awesome big golems that are immune to pierce and any conditions or forced movement (hence I feel this monster is extremely important and should've been in the base set), small sorcerers (ranged) that can summon monsters around them, basically adding a lot of movement and even can attack fairly hard by trading range for damage. This pack also comes with small medusa (ranged) (although I think they are just 3) that don't do a lot of damage, but can inflict a whole lot of conditions.

Another honorable mention should be Manor of Ravens that comes with bandits (5 miniatures, ranged, blue and red attack dice) that are fairly fragile, but can do some serious damage and when in melee can steal search cards. This expansion also contains some sort of ghosts that are 3 minis also ranged with an ability that let's them deal damage or inflict doomed based on a willpower test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Delaney
United States
Friendswood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Golems and Bandits are both two of my favorite monsters right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.