Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will VotK:A have own Starter cards or one from the base game will be reprinted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know for sure but the fact that the sets can be combined for more players implies to me that the starters will be the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedMarshall wrote:
I don't know for sure but the fact that the sets can be combined for more players implies to me that the starters will be the same.

There are deckduilders with asymmetric staring decks.
And if you assume that 40 cards from Afterlife will be stating cards that gives 80 cards to build 6 staring deck with 10 cards, So there is a bit of leeway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rafal100 wrote:
TedMarshall wrote:

There are deckduilders with asymmetric staring decks.
And if you assume that 40 cards from Afterlife will be stating cards that gives 80 cards to build 6 staring deck with 10 cards, So there is a bit of leeway.

For example in base game there is:

4 offering tables
8 foods
12 urns
16 shahtis

And in afterlife is for example
4 AArtifacts lets's assume that is also offering tables
8 BArtifacts
12 CAtrifacts
16 DArtifacts

SO you can have up to

1 offering table
1 food
1 BArtifact
2 urns
2 CArfifacts
2 shahtis
2 DArtifacts

in each of 6 identical starting decks. It is up to 11 cards per deck, and exactly 10 if you don't assune AArtifact=Offering Table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello VotK Fans

The 40 starter cards in VotK: Afterlife are exactly the same as in VotK. This allows for easier mixing of the sets and for playing with 5 or 6 players.

The set cards and unique cards are all different. The set cards are almost the same color as those in the original VotK. This allows sets to be combined in 2 ways: as distinct, separate sets, or as combined "supersets." One possibility is to combine the original statues set with the Afterlife tomb art set to create a superset with 14 distinct cards (a player could conceivably score 14 x 14 = 196 points for getting all 14 cards).

Another way to play is by splitting the sets in half. By doing that, there is only one copy of each set card instead of two. There are so many ways to combine the two games that I couldn't test them all. I'm sure you gamers will come up with some awesome new ways to play.

It looks like VotK:A will be available at GenCon. Stop by the AEG booth, and I'll be glad to sign your copy.

Thanks for your support.

Tom Cleaver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
systomx wrote:
Hello VotK Fans

The 40 starter cards in VotK: Afterlife are exactly the same as in VotK. This allows for easier mixing of the sets and for playing with 5 or 6 players.

The set cards and unique cards are all different. The set cards are almost the same color as those in the original VotK. This allows sets to be combined in 2 ways: as distinct, separate sets, or as combined "supersets." One possibility is to combine the original statues set with the Afterlife tomb art set to create a superset with 14 distinct cards (a player could conceivably score 14 x 14 = 196 points for getting all 14 cards).

Another way to play is by splitting the sets in half. By doing that, there is only one copy of each set card instead of two. There are so many ways to combine the two games that I couldn't test them all. I'm sure you gamers will come up with some awesome new ways to play.

It looks like VotK:A will be available at GenCon. Stop by the AEG booth, and I'll be glad to sign your copy.

Thanks for your support.

Tom Cleaver

When playing 4 playesr base game I noticed that game was a little but "short" - players decks couldn't get economy good enough before III era cards started. Playing with double deck could give time and chance to some strategies to grow.
On the other hand it will probably double playing time (but some powerfull deck could 'snowball' and be much more effective).
I prefer idea of 5 supersets to 10 separate sets. But I'm afraid it could deepen something which occured freqently in base game.
It is much harder to earn 9 points from collecting 3 parts of 3 part set than from colecting 3 parts of 7 part set and 3/7 has potential to grow.

On the other hand, supersets with split would eliminate duplicaties ( so every card entombes counts for score) and it would give two playing sets , variability, huge scoring potential and original playing time.

I think that this expansion could give game re-playability potential comparable to Gosu Kamakor (10 choose 5 combination of clans to build the deck.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Gannon
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for that great breakdown Mr. Cleaver. VotK is easily one of my favorite deck builders and I'm always complaining I never see people playing it enough at my store. I'm happy to see it is getting continued support. I sadly will not be at GenCon so I will have to wait for it to hit my FLGS with bated breath! Will you also be at Origins? I would love to get my original copy signed if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
systomx wrote:
Hello The set cards and unique cards are all different. The set cards are almost the same color as those in the original VotK.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2456556/valley-kings-afterli...
what do you mean by "almost"? Can you comment this image?
the colors of "Khopesh" and "Mirror case" are OK, but, IMHO, "Brooch"(Jewelry)is too brown and "Offering chapel" (Chambers) is orange (not yellow).
thank you for the answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We did the best we could to make the set colors distinct between the two versions, and yet close enough in color so that they could be combined without a problem.

Tom Cleaver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cleaver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Carl

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. Yes, I was at Origins.

Tom Cleaver
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.