Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Move along
badge
Nothing to see here
mbmbmbmbmb
All

The rule on Celitc Unity states that the Welsh and Irish blocks roll one die "when they find themselves in combat" (quote from 2.4 rules).

Does this mean at the start of a combat, before anybody rolls for any blocks? Or does it mean when it it the Welsh/Irish block's turn to roll in the first combat round? If the latter, can the Welsh/Irish block retreat and avoid the roll for celtic unity?

As you can imagine, the various interpretations of this rule have very different effects on gameplay.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
The latest rules state:

Quote:
5.2 CELTIC UNITY

The Welsh and Ulster blocks were not entirely reliable on the battlefield. Accordingly, each time Ulster and Welsh (both infantry and archers) blocks find themselves in battle, roll one die before combat to test the loyalty of each block.

1-4: No effect
5-6: Block goes into the Draw Pool

i take it to mean that it is a die roll before any combat is resolved - which means prior to retreats (since retreating is a combat move).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
ijmcf wrote:
Does this mean at the start of a combat, before anybody rolls for any blocks?

Exactly. When the blocks are laid out for combat...before the first combat roll, see the the Welsh/Irish even stick around.

Quote:
Or does it mean when it it the Welsh/Irish block's turn to roll in the first combat round? If the latter, can the Welsh/Irish block retreat and avoid the roll for celtic unity?

No and no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chamberlain
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be a dumb question, but what blocks are Welsh and Ulster? I don't see them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/42120

Look at the pieces on the bottom row - you will see Ulster and Wales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Rieger
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to open up the thread once more but in our play the question arose whether or not the Celtic unity rule would

a) ALWAYS apply when EITHER a Welsh or Ulster block is fighting together with other blocks or

b) ONLY apply when BOTH a Welsh and the Ulster block are present in one force.

I read the rules in favor of option B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Goode
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lebenslicht wrote:
Sorry to open up the thread once more but in our play the question arose whether or not the Celtic unity rule would

a) ALWAYS apply when EITHER a Welsh or Ulster block is fighting together with other blocks or

b) ONLY apply when BOTH a Welsh and the Ulster block are present in one force.

I read the rules in favor of option B.

I'd also like a clarification on this question. Also, is it one die roll for all of Welsh/Ulster blocks or one die roll per block?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've played it like this and believe it to be correct that ANYTIME those blocks find themselves in combat (by themselves or with others) roll one die per block to test loyalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Goode
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmurph22 wrote:
I've played it like this and believe it to be correct that ANYTIME those blocks find themselves in combat (by themselves or with others) roll one die per block to test loyalty.

I ended up reading the "Sam vs. Frodo" sample game on the HotS WEB site and I came to the same conclusion as you about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.