Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make sure this is 100% clear, I am in no way connected to Cody Miller or this game in anyway other than being a fan who wasn't hardcore into board gaming when the Kickstarter happened. Now that that is out of the way...

I wanted to start this thread as a tool for Cody so he can gauge how feasible it is to make more Dev Kits (as well as my own curiosity on how many people would want this). So, post how many copies you would theoretically buy and what is the absolute most you would pay per kit.

As an example:

I personally would probably buy 3 kits. This is because I want a more realistic solar system. Thus I want more empty space to put in the pile of tiles.

For price, I would pay up to $15 per kit. I'd pay $25 per kit if it were to include Sellsword and the envoy cards. My understanding is the Sellsword piece was in the same shrink wrap as the Dev Kit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dev kit and Sellsword were part of the same "Kickstarter" bonus package.

However, it was sold as a complete unit with the base game (different SKU numbers), so AFAIK they aren't easy to get separately.

If Cody is after ideas how to continue the longevity of Xia this certainly a good way of keeping the fans happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would help people determine their level of interest if the contents of the Dev Kit were spelled out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
It would help people determine their level of interest if the contents of the Dev Kit were spelled out.

More or less this:

Quote:
Components - Kickstarter Edition With Sellsword Miniature and Dev Kit (FOG 1702):

This edition comes with everything in the retail edition of the game (FOG 1700), plus the following Kickstarter-exclusive items:

8 Envoy Mission Cards (These are the same 8 Envoy Mission Cards that are in the non-Sellsword Kickstarter edition of the game)
1 Envoy Mission Rules Card
1 Sellsword Miniature & Flight Stand
1 Sellsword NPC Card
1 Sellsword Rules Card
1 "Dev Kit" for modding the game which includes (the Dev Kit was not labeled as Kickstarter-exclusive so may be available separately at a later date):
3 Empty Sector Tiles - Optionally, these can be used as empty space in Xia with no modding required.
3 Empty Flight Stands
1 set of 12 blank Outfits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mb
This game is quickly capturing the imagination and creative side of our game group. I know of three copies of the game in our group. The amount of buzz and conversation centered around expansion ideas abound.

I know we would be interested in multiple dev kits. It is hard to discuss pricing without knowing the contents of a dev kit and quantity of each item. My loosely prioritized list of contents would be:

1. Blank tiles. More sectors to explore in space is top priority for us.
2. Blank outfits in multiple sizes and configurations including sizes and configurations not included in base game.
3. Blank Mission cards with matching card backs. We would print stickers with new missions.
4. Blank Title cards with matching card backs. We would print stickers with new titles.
5. Blank exploration tokens with matching "?" backs.

There are other ideas but they expand the game in new directions and would be beyond the scope of a development kit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I would certainly be interested in probably getting 1 or 2 kits for some blank tiles (I was stupid and didn't get the KS vesion), I would prefer that he release an official expansion with more sectors, more missions, and more NPC for more variety and hopefully artwork that stays consistent with the base game. You could also add a few blank sectors in the expansion as well

As for cost of the dev kit, I'd probably only buy them if they were like $10 or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bixby wrote:
1. Blank tiles. More sectors to explore in space is top priority for us.

This is a must, must, must!

For me it's about making the game more realistic. Some things I can reason out for abstraction (i.e. think of the planet spaces like zoom ins as opposed to the planets being nearly the size of Xia. Though the flavor text hints that Xia might be artificial anyway, so who knows....). But really, it needs to be there to increase the probability of not being able to easy get back to a planet and to slow down traders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
No the Sellsword and Envoy cards are not part of the Dev Kit, and if you did not get the Sellsword edition you are most likely out of luck. It was a KS only exclusive. Cody has been pretty clear with his intentions and loyalty to those of us that Kickstarted. While I can see more NPC's being added in an expansion at some point, I cannot see the Sellsword ever being offered again.

Jacob you list the additional contents of the Sellsword addition which includes a "Dev Kit". It even goes on to denote clearly what that includes by using a colon or ":" and the word "includes" to show that the bullet points following are what make up the Dev Kit.

Quote:
3 Empty Sector Tiles - Optionally, these can be used as empty space in Xia with no modding required.
3 Empty Flight Stands
1 set of 12 blank Outfits

I don't see a whole lot of demand for having tons more Flight Stands, and I would love to see something like blank cards with appropriate back... like 15 Mission and 5 Title; plus 5 blank exploration tokens. Though I would be surprised if this happened.

Though fingers crossed for a Dev Kit 2.0 version.

---------------------

Also if you need a lot of cards, like want to add whole new types of missions, etc. Maybe get some Blank Playing Cards from Amazon.

Sure they won't have the back, but as long as you add more than a few, it's not really going to matter. Depending on how you add missions, if you only do one new type of mission... then people will know that you are on that type of mission, but they wouldn't know what your mission is. It would be a simple enough matter to simply duplicate some of the missions in the missions deck (maybe changing the start and/or end spot for more variability) to help hide what missions have been added.

For me, since I'll be adding 5-10 new sectors to my "finished" game, I'll need missions that start and end in those sectors. While I'll be making some from scratch, and even adding some new types of missions, I'll also simply be copying some of the regular missions and rerouting them to those sectors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
No the Sellsword and Envoy cards are not part of the Dev Kit, and if you did not get the Sellsword edition you are mostly likely out of luck. It was a KS only exclusive. Cody has been pretty clear with his intentions and loyalty to those of us that Kickstarted. While I can see more NPC's being added in an expansion at some point, I cannot see the Sellsword ever being offered again.

I guess I'm going to have to finish up my research on the flux capacitor...

Calinor wrote:
Jacob you list the additional contents of the Sellsword addition which includes a "Dev Kit". It even goes on to denote clearly what that includes by using a colon or ":" and the word "includes" to show that the bullet points following are what make up the Dev Kit.

I'm I not protected under the less clause of my statement?!?!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the OP question posed. Assuming only 3 blank sector tiles and 12 blank outfits...

I would buy 3 @ $10/each
@ $15 I may or may not buy 1 more.

I've been working on plenty of methods to make my own tiles, and if the Dev Kit is too expensive I'll just get creative. There is also the satisfaction of doing it yourself. While $10 may not cover the cost, let alone allow for at least some profit to make it worthwhile... I can't spend too much money on developmental tiles for a game, when I could just be Kickstarting 1-2 whole games with that money.

Edit: If it was $10, and sold by Amazon (either as an Addon or Prime available) (I'm saying $10 and no shipping fee) I would likely order one of these every couple of months... Until I finally got exactly the layout I'm dreaming of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Oughton
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I too envision a price point around $10-15 for the Kit--assuming its contents are like the one included in the Sellsword KS (one punch board with three blank sector tiles, a slew of outfits, and an exploration token blank, if I remember correctly)--and would buy 2 or 3 almost immediately and probably more as I find more fanmade materials I like.
Like suggested above, this will almost definitely NOT include the sellsword miniature and rules, as Cody has stated pretty specifically that he would hold that as a true KS exclusive. Same is probably true with the Envoy missions.
I also would love to have some blank cards with matching backs for mission and titles, like suggested above. This may have to be a separate Dev kit, however, as I think the intention of the "regular" Dev kit would be a single punchboard with the three sector tiles and other associated bits like arrived with the KS. I think Cody mentioned he would just be printing a bunch of those (as is, without changes) if he were able to make the Dev Kit financially feasible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dev kit is basically two printed and cut sheets. That should be no more than $10. Like said above, it's three sectors, a set of blank outfits, and some other blank bits.

As far as making your own cards, just get some opaque sleeves, and print out whatever you want on the card in measured squares on normal copy paper, cut them out, and sleeve them with some playing cards or magic cards or something for a stiff feel. I've proxied tons of stuff, and this is generally the easiest way to do print and plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Fleming
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
While I can see more NPC's being added in an expansion at some point, I cannot see the Sellsword ever being offered again.

While I agree with this statement, it is truly a shame for those of us not aware of the KS until after the fact.

Perhaps an alternative would be a new ship and captain skill that could be provided for sale from Cody and company. That would keep the Sellsword KS exclusive but provide an alternate component to people that came to (and enjoyed) Xia later.

As for the Dev Kits to OP asked about, I would purchase 3 myself and pay $10USD for each kit. Of course, I would purchase alternate Outfit shapes and extra "official" tiles from Cody and company as well.

(Edit: Clarification for Dev Kits recognized in earlier posts.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randomfleming wrote:
Calinor wrote:
While I can see more NPC's being added in an expansion at some point, I cannot see the Sellsword ever being offered again.

While I agree with this statement, it is truly a shame for those of us not aware of the KS until after the fact.

I can see arguments from both camps, but I don't want this thread to become a back and forth on KS exclusives. I was just providing what I would be willing to be pay for future Xia products.

That said, I'll gladly buy someone's Sellsword mini and card for $10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
For those willing to proxy their own Sellsword mini and instruction cards, you can still use them in the game even if you didn't get in on it. The Sellsword's rules aren't that complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
For those willing to proxy their own Sellsword mini and instruction cards, you can still use them in the game even if you didn't get in on it. The Sellsword's rules aren't that complicated.

Sure. I actually use the T1 ship that doesn't get picked as Sellsword. I'm just a completeist and want the mini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Fleming
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

Can you point me in the direction of where to find those rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randomfleming wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

Can you point me in the direction of where to find those rules?

http://faroffgames.com/images/sept_update/Xia-cards-vertical...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Egg0las B0w
United Kingdom
Stourbridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've already made 6 additional sector tiles from the ones posted in the files section. But would definitely be up for buying additional Dev kits. I think $10 is a reasonable cost for 1 sheet of these. I don't think I'd be prepared to pay much more. I'd probably plumb for 2 initially and see where I was at after that.

Love the idea for using blank playing cards (why didn't I think of that?) I'm looking to buy some right now :o)

The game is wide open for expansions. I'm not impatient or anything but come on Cody, get another kickstarter going with lots of extra tiles, NPC's, ships, missions, additional rules etc. Game is awesome and I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Snedeker
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone is interested I would be willing to sell my blank sector tiles and blank outfits since we don't use them in my gaming group. We have used them as extra "empty" space but people don't enjoy finding nothing when they explore a new area so we stopped using them and they just sit in the box. I love the idea of making new sector tiles but realistically I know I won't get around to making them...

Send me a message if you would like to buy them. As for price, I would guess somewhere in the $15-$20 range but depends on what you are willing to offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.