Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stack abilities with sheriff rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
as_the_water as_the_water
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi, I have a question.

Can I stack the sheriff ability that allows me to kill two zombies with only one exposure dice, and the gun ability that allows me to kill one zombie without be exposed?

So I can kill two zombies without being exposed. What do you think of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as_the_water wrote:
Hi, I have a question.

Can I stack the sheriff ability that allows me to kill two zombies with only one exposure dice, and the gun ability that allows me to kill one zombie without be exposed?

No, the abilities are separate. You can kill three zombies and roll for exposure once in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
braceletwinner wrote:
as_the_water wrote:
Hi, I have a question.

No, the abilities are separate. You can kill three zombies and roll for exposure once in this case.

You can stack abilities. For example, a character that can draw and keep two cards at a location that also has the blueprints can draw and keep three using one action. Weapons can stack the same way. For example, having the switchblade and the gun would allow a killing of one zombie with any die (thanks to the switchblade) without rolling for exposure (gun).

I would say OP is correct in the combining of the abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JCChrono wrote:
braceletwinner wrote:
as_the_water wrote:
Hi, I have a question.

You can stack abilities. For example, a character that can draw and keep two cards at a location that also has the blueprints can draw and keep three using one action. Weapons can stack the same way. For example, having the switchblade and the gun would allow a killing of one zombie with any die (thanks to the switchblade) without rolling for exposure (gun).

I would say OP is correct in the combining of the abilities.

Abilities don't negate each other. You can combine effects, but you can't cancel out one kill to make another kill safer. The text is pretty clear: two kills for one roll and one kill for no roll.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the ability on the bottom of the card isn't an attack (doesn't use his attack ability). It's a 4+ ability to kill two zombies. He can also do a normal attack, of course, at 2+ using normal attack rules. So using the gun on the normal attack would be fine, but not on the ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time that it came up in a game, we allowed the combining of these two abilities, but I agree with Wade. Using the Sheriff's ability is not an attack, even though it kills zombies. (Bev Russell and Thomas Heart's abilities aren't attacks either, but you'd never have to roll for exposure there anyway).

The switchblade works with other weapons because it allows you to use any die to perform an attack, and the other weapons all say "when performing an attack..."

You can stack blueprints and Janet/Alexis/Andrew/Carla/Arthur/Jenny/David's searching abilities because they all affect searches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jexik wrote:
The first time that it came up in a game, we allowed the combining of these two abilities, but I agree with Wade. Using the Sheriff's ability is not an attack, even though it kills zombies. (Bev Russell and Thomas Heart's abilities aren't attacks either, but you'd never have to roll for exposure there anyway).

The switchblade works with other weapons because it allows you to use any die to perform an attack, and the other weapons all say "when performing an attack..."

You can stack blueprints and Janet/Alexis/Andrew/Carla/Arthur/Jenny/David's searching abilities because they all affect searches.

Ah, yeah, I recalled Daniel's ability saying "when performing an attack".

Nevermind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.