Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Prime Time
United States
New Plymouth
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played cannibal island last night 4 players for the first time and won. It was really tight during the first 6 rounds, but the last 3 rounds were relatively easy, so I'm wondering what we did wrong.

1. When you burn a cannibal village, do you lose any weapon strength?

2. When you get a temporary pawn, is it a 1 time use or a permanent help? (We had 3 brown pawns and 1 green pawn)

3. Why would you build roof or palisade in this scenario? You don't roll any weather dice at all, right?

4. What other mistakes might we have made?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
primtim34 wrote:
We played cannibal island last night 4 players for the first time and won. It was really tight during the first 6 rounds, but the last 3 rounds were relatively easy, so I'm wondering what we did wrong.

I haven't won this one yet. The first game, playing solo with all 4 characters, they all died horribly at the start of the 4th turn. Second game, with three characters, I lived a little longer, but they all died at the start of the 7th turn, with only one village burned at that time.

I have it set up to try two characters next.

Quote:

It doesn't say that, so I assume not. Though admittedly, there are things that happen in this game that contradict the wording.

Quote:
2. When you get a temporary pawn, is it a 1 time use or a permanent help? (We had 3 brown pawns and 1 green pawn)

Depends on where you got it from. Extra pawns from the items you can build (like the Map) are permanent. If it comes from a Discovery token, it's one use only.

Quote:
3. Why would you build roof or palisade in this scenario? You don't roll any weather dice at all, right?

I agree. Plus, you have to move camp a lot, and the scenario rules make you lose ALL roof and palisade, instead of the usual half. Plus, there's no time to build them anyway.

Quote:

Don't know, but if you say it was easy, I have to think you were doing something wrong. Did you use 4-player rule for Organizing Camp? (That is, gain 2 Determination OR move morale, but not both). For me, this scenario is all about organizing camp. Then again, I suck at it, so I'm probably wrong about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just hijack Rubric's frame and enhance on his answers (where possible).

Quote:
Quote:

It doesn't say that, so I assume not. Though admittedly, there are things that happen in this game that contradict the wording.[/q

Absolutely correct. There is no Weapons damage, you only compare your weapons strength with the cannibal's strength.

Quote:
[q]2. When you get a temporary pawn, is it a 1 time use or a permanent help? (We had 3 brown pawns and 1 green pawn)

Depends on where you got it from. Extra pawns from the items you can build (like the Map) are permanent. If it comes from a Discovery token, it's one use only.

If an item provides it, it is permanent (as long as you have the item). If a treasure provides it, it depends on the text, but I think all of them are temporary.
All others are always temporary.
...except Dog and Friday, of course...

Quote:
Quote:

I agree. Plus, you have to move camp a lot, and the scenario rules make you lose ALL roof and palisade, instead of the usual half. Plus, there's no time to build them anyway.

Indeed. And, here's a heretical thought: "Why ever build the palisades?". I almost never do - except when the scenario really demands it...

Quote:

I don't know - there are so many possibilities, but mostly these are mistakes you would have made in other scenarios, also. Did you count the totem symbol of the city towards the village strength?
There is also a discussion whether you are able to attack the city without your camp having a direct link to it (via explored tiles) or not. I'd say you need them, but that is purely interpretative speculation of thematic background...

It reads, though, as you might have had quite a little luck with events and such. If you keep getting into problems during the first rounds (especially if the book events are drawn early), it could take longer to burn down the villages. If not, and you handle it well, then you can go through quite a few villages early-on, and the rest is not so harsh anymore. And if you are able to balance your wounds, it works even better.

That said, I think it is a little harder with less characters. Especially since you do not get the bonus for roof building (you don't need it, here) and also since you do not have access to all special abilities that might be needed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
That said, I think it is a little harder with less characters.

Uh oh.... I was hoping it would be easier with fewer characters. Trying to get 4 food per turn is insane. Plus, with the book icons causing massive wounds in the early turns, the morale quickly drops to -3. With 4 players, it's much harder to fix bad morale.

Hmm, I just realized that when I played my 3-character game yesterday, I forgot to STOP using the 4-player Organize Camp rule. Damn! It's always something.... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you won with three, that is a major boon. The organize card makes it harder, so if you won with it, all the better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Well, if you won with three, that is a major boon. The organize card makes it harder, so if you won with it, all the better!

But I didn't win.... I have lost both times I played this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh.

Then better luck next time!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prime Time
United States
New Plymouth
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it looks like we were almost doing everything right...we were keeping extra workers earned through discovery tokens. Other than that we were doing it right...oh well, it was still a ton of fun and I'm looking forward to playing it again!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teri A
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
Thanks for this. I won this first time solo and wondered if I was supposed to have weather, because it didn't feel that hard. I played with the dog, Friday and the soldier. I fluked having 4 hunting tiles come up and only 2 totems the whole game (plus the city). I used determination tokens every round to increase weapon level. I guess some of my event cards were okay. But the game wasn't the usual fight to survive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.