3 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Quest 2: Victory for the Overlord rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
mbmbmbmb
We played Descent: Journeys in the Dark yesterday. It was me as the overlord player and two other hero players. We played the second quest and the hero players controlled two heroes each, since we realized after our last gaming session (same quest but with only two heroes) that the quest probably was too tough for fewer heroes.

The heroes were:

1st player: Ronan of the Wild (I can't remember the skill cards) and Grey Ker (skills were Boggs the Rat, Crack Shot and Precision, if I remember correctly).
2nd player: Battlemage Jaes (skills: Wild Talent, Mata and Kata + one that I can't remember) and Red Scorpion (skills: Relentless, Alertness, Quick Casting).

The following contains spoilers for Quest 2.

The heroes quickly killed the monsters in the Start Area and moved towards Area 1. When they was inside the corridor and closing in on the first giant I played some trap cards. However, I did the same mistake as last time we played this quest. I played a Crushing Block inside the corridor, which meant that the giant couldn't advance through it. Oh well, I have to try to remember not to do that the next time.

Some of the heroes eventually entered the big room at the end of the corridor and managed to open the chest (Grey Ker managed to draw Bow of Bone) and activate the glyph, while I managed to kill Battlemage Jaes (if I remember correctly) by using the Dark Charm trap.

Boggs the Rat and Red Scorpion who both where waiting in the Start Area prevented me from using any spawn cards effectively. Because of this I thought that I'd better get some of the power cards on the table and I debated for a while whether I should play Horde of the Things or Brilliant Commander as both would be useful in this situation where I probably wouldn't play many spawn cards. In the end I played Brilliant Commander as that would allow me to place some tougher monsters on the board since they are more useful late in the game than several weak monsters.

The heroes left the giant alive behind the obstacle from my misplaced trap and continued towards Area 4 where his heart is. In the meantime I saved up on threat tokens and played the Evil Genius power card, so that I would go through my deck quicker and get more cards. I also played some trap when they opened the door to soften them up a bit before releasing the monsters in Area 4 on them. I upgraded the hellhound to a master hellhound and it dealt some damage before biting the dust.

The main battle in this area turned out to be with the master ogre. It quickly entered the corridor to block the heroes access to the room at the other end. I also spawned some hell hounds to further block the access to the gold chest (where the heart was). The ogre turned out to be tough one, it resurrected twice due to it's Undying ability and that must have been a bit frustrating for the heroes. In the end it died and the heroes entered the room. However, I couldn't let them open the gold chest just like that, so I decided it was time to unleash the mighty Curse of the Monkey God on the unlucky hero that opened it. I then quickly spawned some skeletons in the room who easily killed the poor monkey.

After that the heroes continued towards the giant and killed it easily. Right, one giant killed, onwards to the second. On their way there I used the Dark Charm trap once more and killed one of the heroes. When they entered the corridor in Area 2 they somehow managed to stay close together and that was quite lucky for me. I held a Charge card and two Rage cards in my hand. So I decided to try to end it quickly before they could collect any more conquest tokens. I played the Charge card and one of the Rage cards and rushed out with the giant and managed to kill two heroes with the second attack and that was enough for me to win the game.

In the end it was a tight game, it could easily have ended with a win for the heroes. The heroes made some mistakes and so did I, so the quest felt pretty balanced overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Letourneau
Canada
St-Lambert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to burst your bubble, but you cannot play rage and charge together when activating a monster. P.11 of the rules. You cannot play 2 overlord cards that have the same triggering requirements. Both rage and charge have "when you activate a monster" as the trigger...

Christian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing that out, I had completely forgot about that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.