Jason Carter
United States
Forestdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet!!!

https://fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/3/23/bonds-of-th...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herwig Riedl
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
roll the hard six
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
finally hell hounds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
So we see all heroes with familiars in one pack. I guess it makes sense this way But I´d have bet that the kobolds would be the left over monster, after pack number 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Origins 2018 Jun 13th - 17th
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 2 left to play
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an update on where things will stand after this releases:

Monsters

http://i.imgur.com/55nGyes.png

Heroes

http://i.imgur.com/1VluUzb.jpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm very excited for this! Kobolds got a really intersting update and so did Bright Blaze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally getting my favorite hero Lyssa! Tho i always thought she'd be a scout, not a mage. The hellhounds look really great, was afraid they'd blend in with the Barghest too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I had some time to read the kobold changes I must say they are great. The new spawning mechanic means they are weak at the start of an encounter, which makes them bad frontline forces. On the other hand, if left unchecked by the heroes for too long, they can respawn at an insane rate.

So instead of being the horde which becomes useless if once erradicated (because of weak reinforcements), they are now a tactical choice, which the heroes have to keep in mind.

With this change I can now dare to play with kobolds without the heroes crying foul when they realize there are 12 of them at the start of an encounter. It was often too easy to block certain choke points with them, but now it takes at least 2-3 overlord turns before they can be used for such a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Summerfield
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Oh my goodness what they did to Kobolds.surprise At first they de-buffed them, and then they buffed them. I actually like them this way. Slow to start; unstoppable when finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was hoping for Nagas or Demons, but I'm glad we have Deep Elves in second edition (never had the first edition minis). The choice of heroes is nice, and the sculpt/art on Challara is superb. Also really love that Lyssa (another non-main race hero!) and Vyrah are updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pletcher
msg tools
I am really excited about this H&M collection. The heroes especially I am excited about.

A pointer to you evil overlord types. devil
One thing to note about kobold "small beginnings", its say minions are not place at SETUP. Its worth noting that a few quest you place an open group in the middle of the encounter which is not SETUP. So if that happens you can place all 9 minions right away.

Expect a few compaints from the goody goody heroes but its by the book. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice catch. It could be bad wording, but setup usually means the encounter setup. RAW you seem to be right.

Nevertheless, I can´t help and think this is not intended. Instead I can already hear the heroes complain about such a case.

I guess I wouldn´t take kobolds as a "place later" group then, because in this case the new kobolds seem to be even stronger than the old ones. While I like to be a mean overlord, I usually try not to get an unfair advantage against the heroes. Thats why I never used the CK Kobolds to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both monsters and heroes looks a bit .. unfinished.. to me. Hopefully its the image but the hand of the female (?) sitting on the beast looks really weird, and the foot of the hero to her left looks like its partially in slime or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
bpletcher wrote:
I am really excited about this H&M collection. The heroes especially I am excited about.

A pointer to you evil overlord types. devil
One thing to note about kobold "small beginnings", its say minions are not place at SETUP. Its worth noting that a few quest you place an open group in the middle of the encounter which is not SETUP. So if that happens you can place all 9 minions right away.

Expect a few compaints from the goody goody heroes but its by the book. devil

I'm guessing FAQ will address this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carter
United States
Forestdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, perhaps they mean "setup" of the monster group, and not setup of the quest?

I'm just getting my feet wet with Descent. I am curious, what abilities did hell hounds have in 1st Ed?

Also, per the chart that Heath provided, it looks like there are A LOT more heroes left and only a couple of packs worth of monsters. Do you think (if) they release a couple of more monster and hero packs, they will be done? Or do you think from that point on, they will release "Hero Packs" with like 7 or 8 heroes in them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fwav8or wrote:
Do you think (if) they release a couple of more monster and hero packs, they will be done? Or do you think from that point on, they will release "Hero Packs" with like 7 or 8 heroes in them?

Donno, but if they can just give me Varikas and One Fist i'll be happy

This is also the first pack that's offering a different mix of hero classes... two mages and two scouts. May help speculate on the next pack. Two healers and two warriors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see the extra heroes get paired up with entirely new monsters. At least, that's probably what I would do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voidreturn
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Initially, I thought this was a total buff to the kobolds, then I realized it was a total nerf.

First, you have to have the master minion to get the Spawner; heroes can take that down pretty quickly every so often to keep the numbers thinned.

Then, you are now limited by group limits, whereas the previous version was not. That means, you cannot possibly kill one of your own kobolds to split it into 2 for blocking purposes.

Lastly, to get the max of these, you'll need 12 turns. Most encounters do not last that long. It likely means that an overlord would be choosing kobolds as a distraction rather than a blocker. Considering how freely heroes tend to move about, that is definitely where the nerf lies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker Suczynski
msg tools
voidreturn wrote:
Initially, I thought this was a total buff to the kobolds, then I realized it was a total nerf.

First, you have to have the master minion to get the Spawner; heroes can take that down pretty quickly every so often to keep the numbers thinned.

Then, you are now limited by group limits, whereas the previous version was not. That means, you cannot possibly kill one of your own kobolds to split it into 2 for blocking purposes.

Lastly, to get the max of these, you'll need 12 turns. Most encounters do not last that long. It likely means that an overlord would be choosing kobolds as a distraction rather than a blocker. Considering how freely heroes tend to move about, that is definitely where the nerf lies.

your last point isn't entirely accurate
in a four person game, you start with 3 master kobolds. each one can spawn one minion next to them each turn, so assuming none of them die, you can have all 12 out in three turns, which is pretty good if you are playing a larger map and they are positioned in a way that the heroes won't be going for them right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
voidreturn wrote:
Lastly, to get the max of these, you'll need 12 turns.

That is incorrect; with 2-3 heroes you have 2 Masters, and with 4 heroes you get 3 Masters. So 3 turns to max them out normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Summerfield
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
IncrediSteve wrote:

I just noticed:

Are these kobolds, or koboldSSSS?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If my comment isn't obvious, all of their abilities start with: "S"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voidreturn
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
IncrediSteve wrote:
voidreturn wrote:
Lastly, to get the max of these, you'll need 12 turns.

That is incorrect; with 2-3 heroes you have 2 Masters, and with 4 heroes you get 3 Masters. So 3 turns to max them out normally.

So I misread the Small Beginnings and thought it applied to masters as well. I didn't actually do the math behind how many turns were needed if you reinforced the masters instead of start with them during the setup (it's 6 turns worst case scenario).

So it looks like the Act 2 masters go from 6 to 7 health. I hope the Act 1 versions get to move with 4 speed. If so, then it could become a go-to monster because of the sheer numbers that they can mass if left alone, forcing the heroes to address them instead of the quest goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
There are pros and cons to the changes of the Kobolds.

You can't clog a hallway to death on the first turn, but in larger maps you could effectively just pump out minions to constantly harass the heroes and use up actions. If Kobolds started out of range of the first hero turn you still can have 9 (4 hero games) running before the Heroes get a chance to do damage them. The masters could be very hard to catch as well if Scamper is used to always move them out of effective range.

Kobolds are still a great tactical choice in the right circumstances. They aren't for dealing damage, but if you can open/close doors with them, move objective tokens, clog hallways, then they are one of the best options for giving the OL a TON of actions each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wallack Wallack
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is just me or Challara got a really nice boost? She moves 3 (as before) but she can always place that familiar each turn to move 5 and attack to potentially attack 3 times each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ferrete
Switzerland
Aarau
Aargau
flag msg tools
Wallack wrote:
Is just me or Challara got a really nice boost? She moves 3 (as before) but she can always place that familiar each turn to move 5 and attack to potentially attack 3 times each turn.

From what I can tell, Brightblaze can only be placed at the start of an encounter and doesn't come back (similar to allies in LoR), except for her Heroic Feat which gives it a second chance and a free activation. I'm always a bit weary of using heroes with only 3 speed myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wallack Wallack
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
MCFRR3 wrote:
Wallack wrote:

From what I can tell, Brightblaze can only be placed at the start of an encounter and doesn't come back (similar to allies in LoR), except for her Heroic Feat which gives it a second chance and a free activation. I'm always a bit weary of using heroes with only 3 speed myself.

Missed the start of each encounter ... I play mainly the two coops now, so discarded ... haha

Will switch to redjacks when I have a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.