Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy!

I am thinking about running a campaign for some friends of mine and had a few questions to hopefully make things a bit easier and more annoy able for everyone! I would love some advice from people that have run or participated in he campaign.

1 How difficult is it to run a campaign? And specifically, to play through a mission managing all the baddies? Is there a lot to keep track of and memorize? I am a little worried I will be overwhelmed and the players will kick my butt.

2 Are there any tips or overall common mistakes for us to avoid? Or advice for our first few nights?

3 Does anyone have suggestions for what I can use to replace the 2D terminal and crate tokens with something 3D that matches the theme of the game?

4 What benefits will I get from buying the expansion figures to replace the cardboard tokens (other than the obvious)?

Thanks all for your help and advice! I just want to know what I am getting I to, make sure that I can do it, and do my best to make sure everyone has a great time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't specifically comment on 1, but for 2, I think there's a common mistakes thread here already (surge/health comes immediately to mind).

For the crates, I bought these, and painted them up with a simple grey/ rust and mould wash and they look great.
http://shop.microartstudio.com/tech-crates-1-6-p-444.html

Perhaps i'll post a picture later. If I had an airbrush, I would spray some Rebel symbols on them.... but alas...

Regarding the last one, the skirmish missions, command cards and figs spring to mind, but for the campaign, you specifically get new side missions to can use to add some variety to the main campaign game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
1 How difficult is it to run a campaign? And specifically, to play through a mission managing all the baddies? Is there a lot to keep track of and memorize? I am a little worried I will be overwhelmed and the players will kick my butt.

The imperial player has all the information, you have access to the campaign book, can plan your strategy, and during the game you can more or less react to the rebel strategy. I loved being the imperial player.

You should be willing to spend a little time outside of the missions to read rules and reread rules. However, the campaign is designed in the way that it seems to allow gradual learning, a few new things appearing in each mission. The rules reference guide is a great resource. You should read through it after the first few campaigns to catch any mistakes. Don't worry about making mistakes, just go through them before the next session. Also see the rules threads here to see what the most often-made rules mistakes are.

If you think something in the game is overpowered or klunky, check the rules, you may be playing incorrectly.

jgortner wrote:
2 Are there any tips or overall common mistakes for us to avoid? Or advice for our first few nights?

What are some crazy or common rule-breaking mistakes your group made whilst learning the game?
Unspecified Rules Collection Thread (community collection for upcoming updated rules, errata/FAQ)
Also, read carefully the second page of the campaign book, preferably also read it aloud to the rebels (or allow them to read it). There is nothing secret before the 4th page of the campaign book.

jgortner wrote:
3 Does anyone have suggestions for what I can use to replace the 2D terminal and crate tokens with something 3D that matches the theme of the game?

LEGOs.

jgortner wrote:
4 What benefits will I get from buying the expansion figures to replace the cardboard tokens (other than the obvious)?

They look nicer, you also get a new side missions and agenda cards, but they are by no means required to enjoy the campaign. You might also buy them also after you see who you will encounter in the campaign (as the imperial player you know what most of the next missions will contain).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Strawser
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!

Were four games in and here's what I think so far:

1. Running a campaign isn't too bad. Setting it up correctly before you start helps. FFG provides a good tracker sheet (identical to the one on the back of the campaign book) you can download to keep track of everything. Also, I recommend storing stuff carefully between missions as it really cuts down on setup/teardown time. For our game each of us has a ziplock bag for their character, upgrades, equipment, etc. Also, since you're playing with friends keep the Rules Reference Guide handy and work together when you have questions. We've done that and it's worked well for us. Don't sweat when stuff goes wrong, we misinterpreted a couple of rules here and there but we've corrected as we've continued. Overall, it's been a blast so far. Finally, managing the baddies is pretty straightforward as all of the relevant information is on the card (movement, attack, special abilities, etc.).

2. Take it easy and have fun. I wouldn't recommend playing more than two missions in a session particularly as missions seem to be getting longer as we progress. If you have questions about the rules or gameplay open them up for the whole table to discuss and resolve. That way everyone can agree on the solution. Also if you can play some Star Wars music in the background it adds some fun.

3. Haven't worked on this one yet.

4. Cool figures and extra side mission cards that will help provide variety down the road as you play through multiple campaigns!

Hope you and your friends have a blast!

Thanks,
Don
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Crates and terminals don't block movement and can be stood on top of (and that's often a viable strategy for blocking with large figures). Oft missed rule for those looking at replacing with 3D bits!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
Crates and terminals don't block movement and can be stood on top of (and that's often a viable strategy for blocking with large figures). Oft missed rule for those looking at replacing with 3D bits!

Oh wow. This is good to know. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emre Gökçe Cimen
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are tons of common mistakes in this game. So after you play Aftermath, be sure to read the whole Rules Reference Guide all over again (I mean it).

To name a few of those mistakes:

* Heroes and imps can use a special action once per round. Command included.

* Make sure everyone flips their cards and hero activation tokens when you use them. You can't imagine how often rebel players forget they played this turn.

* Only green deployment points are active throughout a mission unless specified.

* Non-elite Imp officers can only make other units move - not attack (thus they're crap).

* Always be careful turning the round and threat dials. And don't forget.

* Do not accidentally deploy mission reserve figures as a free deployment option.

* Don't forget you can deploy neutral units in most of the missions.

* Read the line of sight rules 10 times. There are too many details.

* Mobile units can walk over red bordered squares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gecimen wrote:
* Heroes and imps can use a special action once per round. Command included.

Clarification: each special action can only be used once per activation. (So you can still do two different special actions.)

Gecimen wrote:
* Don't forget you can deploy neutral units in most of the missions.

What do you mean? Neutral is a special reserved word in the game. Neutral figures are only added by mission events or mission setup. There are no neutral deployment cards. (Mercenary deployment card figures are imperial figure during the campaign.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emre Gökçe Cimen
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
(Mercenary deployment card figures are imperial figure during the campaign.)

This is what I mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Haas
United States
Lenexa
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

d6-2:

Have ALL the players read the rules before you start playing. It is a complicated game and relying on others to clarify rules just doesn't work. You can download the pdf of the rules for everyone.

My favorite tips for the Rebels are; don't let the Imperial player know your strategy, save up credits and money for more expensive equipment and skills, use stress to move and attack twice, use a surge during an attack to lower stress, two figures in front of a door do not keep you from shooting at the door and most importantly don't try to kill everything! Go for the objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leifericson wrote:
two figures in front of a door do not keep you from shooting at the door

They do now, see the FAQ/errata. (But there is still Mak and Target Acquired and some other tricks.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Mäkäräinen
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leifericson wrote:

d6-2:...two figures in front of a door do not keep you from shooting at the door...

From the official FAQ:
“When attacking a door, using an ability that affects a door, or
counting spaces to a door, the door is considered to be occupying
each empty space with which it shares an edge.”

If there are figures in front of the door, those spaces are not empty, so the door isn't considered to be in them, and thus the figures block the LoS to the door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.