Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
allen stiles
United States
white lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules indicate that I can spend $4 for any resource I need, but the design limits the quantity of each resource based on the number of players. So, does there have to be a resource available in order to buy it, or can I, at any time, spend $4 and be 'credited' with 1 of a resource. This affects several situations. For example, if someone is able to collect all of 1 resource, and refuses to spend any, other players could be severely limited. But if I can buy resources that don't exist, I could potentially get a lot of gold just prior to the end of the game, and spend my last turn buying non-existant resources for the sake of getting the end of game victory points. I'd like more clarity about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot buy resources that aren't there. AFAIK there can be no "virtual" resources. They are limited purposely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

You cannot buy resources period. The rule you are referring to applies specifically when you are paying to build a building: in that case you can spend $4 instead of any resource required for building. But that does not allow you to put $4 into the bank and take 1 resource from the bank and put it in your personal supply. Ever.

Now some buildings do allow you to buy resources. In the case you are activating the appropriate building, you can only buy resources which are actually in the supply. Everything is counter limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Schröder
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
"The game is out there, and it's either play, or get played. That simple." (Omar)
badge
"The game is out there, and it's either play, or get played. That simple." (Omar)
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot buy resources. You can only spend $4 instead of a resource when you have to pay one.
So you're problem does not exists :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you buy more than one resource at a time for this purpose? Or only one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

You are not buying resources. You are building a building. When building a building you can spend gold instead of any or all of the resources required. All resources, all gold, or anywhere in between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Can you buy more than one resource at a time for this purpose? Or only one?

More than one.

At least that's how I've been interpreting the rule "each resource can be replaced by 4 gold". If a maximum of one resource was meant I'm sure the rule would have been worded differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you build a building you consider the cost.

If the cost is 1 wood. You may pay 1 wood, or 4 gold to build the building.

If the cost is 1 wood and 1 clay. You may pay 1 wood and 1 clay, or 1 wood and 4 gold, or 4 gold and 1 clay, or 4 gold and 4 gold.

So on and so forth.

You may not replace a cost in gold for building with 4 gold, though I think that is obvious.

At no time during the building action may you purchase goods. You are not buying resources when you choose to pay 4 gold instead of a resource. You are replacing that resource with 4 gold.

You may decide to spend 4 gold instead of any resource when building, even if you have that resource available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.