Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While waiting... and waiting... I FINALLY broke down and opened my in-shrink copy of ATB 2nd Edition over the weekend. Bad move. I started re-learning all the rules so that I'd be ready when the solo expansion arrived... and then remembered as I was reading the that there WEREN'T that many rules. Thirty minutes into reading, and I was ready to play. And then it hit me that... doh... now I wanted the solo expansion more than ever. I don't mind playing both sides for some wargames, but I vastly prefer playing against an AI so I can immerse myself in my side's story. So now I'm pining for the solo expansion even more, reading about it more, and trying to figure out how it works.

For those that have played it, how long does resolution of the AI turn take? I'm hoping that it's somehow fairly seamless and transparent. In some AI-driven games, the entire game feels like it is dominated by taking the AI's turn and managing the AI. Does the CoH expansion avoid that fate? Is it overly fiddly or messy to run? Or is it, draw a card, find out what unit it wants to move, and then move it and do an action?

Now, I would be naive to assume that a strong AI would be perfectly easy to run. There are tradeoffs to be made, of course. So, I'm hoping there's a middle ground that lets me play the game without feeling like I'm doing bookkeeping for the AI, and just immerse myself in the solo adventure.

And, for those that answer, if you can tell me what kinds of flowchart decisions are made, like "closest enemy to player attacks" or "enemy group furthest from control point moves two hexes closer". I'd like to hear some of the options that AI gets. I mean, even Gears of War, the solo board game, has AI decisions like that. And the D&D Adventure games have basic AI like that. So how does CoH transcend all AI's ever published and be the best ever? What does IT do differently that makes it revolutionary?

But mostly, I'm just doing this to pass the time as the expansion gets closer. I hear "at the printer" and "sent to the printer" and have no idea how long things take from there.... I should not have opened my box. Should. Not. Have. Opened. My. Box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Late Night Gamer
Norway
flag msg tools
http://youtube.com/lnightg
badge
mbmb
As much as I am looking forward to the solo expansion and buying the base game (nope I don´t have it yet), when this thing http://academygames.com/games/conflict-of-heroes/first-men-i... comes out - I´ll be running round the streets howling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't get the Youtube Vide to embed... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpgpnRwVgCU#t=278

Interview with Uwe on how IA works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Video doesn't work. Probably not the best idea to post one without comment.

Link to the video works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ianoble wrote:
Video doesn't work. Probably not the best idea to post one without comment.
Been trying to get it to show, cant get it to work, so there is the link.

Uwe interview on how the IA works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mjacobsca wrote:
... I hear "at the printer" and "sent to the printer" and have no idea how long things take from there....

suppressed giggling, accompanied by the cheerful pops of snot bubbles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip James
msg tools
I don't feel like re - writing everything from my phone, but I went over as much as I could in my session report here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1315963/getting-out-aliv...

As examples of AI actions: "AI closest to lowest DV unit - fire," "AI furthest from Control Marker - low risk (explained in rules) move towards," "AI in 0 DM hex closest to highest FP unit - move toward cover."

That sort of thing. The orders themselves are pretty simple, but which order you follow (most cards have 6 - 8 possibilities) depends on the board situation.

In general, I spend more time planning my moves than moving for the AI...it's very smooth, especially considering how adaptable it is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Sayburr wrote:
I can't get the Youtube Vide to embed... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpgpnRwVgCU#t=278

Put the video ID (JpgpnRwVgCU) not the entire URL into the forum youtube code:

(BGG wiki page Forum formatting is useful for this sort of thing. Or quote an existing post that does whatever effect you want.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Sayburr wrote:

Put the video ID (JpgpnRwVgCU) not the entire URL into the forum youtube code:

(BGG wiki page Forum formatting is useful for this sort of thing. Or quote an existing post that does whatever effect you want.)

So simple... thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link. It looks like a lot of the same AI fundamentals as Gears of War: The Board Game, Dungeon Twister 2, and even the D&D Adventure Games. However, the cards seem to have some special actions on them that probably change things quite a bit. And actually, I like how the AI's in those games keep things coming at you, but it does seem kind of mindless sometimes. In Gears of War, the AI just kept attacking and moving towards you until they were dead and re-spawned all over again. In the D&D Adventure games, some of the monsters would run away from you, making it hard to deal with them. In Dungeon Twister 2, the AI actually respected goals and objectives, and tried to achieve them first if it could.

I'm genuinely curious to see what this AI does better than the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
If I recall correctly, the AI in gears of war and the D&D games are instructions based on enemy type. That's not the case here. This AI is more situational. It prioritizes actions in specific contexts instead of directing a unit type to do something. For instance, close combat will be performed by a unit eligible to do so before units that are adjacent would fire which also happens before the other instructions, which could include rallying, moving towards an objective, or other actions. I think it's deeper and more robust than the AI in those other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burning Monkey wrote:
If I recall correctly, the AI in gears of war and the D&D games are instructions based on enemy type. That's not the case here. This AI is more situational. It prioritizes actions in specific contexts instead of directing a unit type to do something. For instance, close combat will be performed by a unit eligible to do so before units that are adjacent would fire which also happens before the other instructions, which could include rallying, moving towards an objective, or other actions. I think it's deeper and more robust than the AI in those other games.

I believe 100% that it's deeper and more robust. But mostly because the front page says "unique emergent behavior"; when I read the word "unique", I assume it MUST be unique. I'm hoping for the best!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.