7 Posts

7 Wonders» Forums » General

Subject: Is there a good color-blind reference? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viking Erik

New Jersey
msg tools
So I was introducing 7 Wonders to a friend who is color-blind to red. He can't distinguish the brown, red, and purple card frames or icons. It's impossible for him to work with the guild cards that reference those cards by the colored iconography. He's a savvy gamer and would become familiar with the card types and guild references after enough plays, but he won't be inclined to put in those plays for a game that he literally can't see properly.

Is there any good reference to help a color-blind player? I looked through the file section here and there are a number of reference sheets, but they all talk in terms of "brown cards" and such, which just reiterates the same problem. He would need a way of referencing and distinguishing these without the color terms.

I could look to make something suitable if none exists, but figured I'd ask here first. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
The purple cards should be easy, because they're all called 'xxx Guild'

Brown cards all have resources and reds all have the 'war' icon. I'm guessing the difficulty arises when looking at the 'icons of a certain-colour card'.

Depending on how precious you are, I would suggest the easiest way is to annotate these icons with a biro. I can understand how this might be anathema to quite a lot of gamers though.

Failing that, there is a card reference in the back on the rules booklet - you could always highlight the ones that your friend will need to look up.

Alternatively, just have the player who passes him the cards to lean over his shoulder, point and say 'red'...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with page 10-11 in the rules.

If the issue is only with brown/red/purple cards, here is what you need to know:

All of the purple cards say GUILD on them. You might be able to learn the guild's function by their names. Or just refer to the description in the rules.
All of the red cards have a military symbol on them.
All of the brown cards have a resource symbol on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viking Erik

New Jersey
msg tools
Yeah, the problem is identifying the iconographic references. Mostly on guilds but not just them. He cannot tell what kind of cards Vineyard is referencing, for example, whether it looks for red or brown or purple. He would learn eventually that Vineyard looks for resource-producing cards and that Spies Guild looks for sword cards, but not right away on the first play.

The biro comment got me thinking in the right direction. My copy is sleeved, so I can just stick slips of paper with textual descriptions in the sleeves with the relevant cards. Even more elegant than writing on the cards or using an external reference sheet.

Sleeved clues could even accomodate reference material for new players. Things like the Marketplaces, or Arena which is pretty complicated by counting the wonder stages for coins now and points later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vikingerik wrote:
So I was introducing 7 Wonders to a friend who is color-blind to red. He can't distinguish the brown, red, and purple card frames or icons. It's impossible for him to work with the guild cards that reference those cards by the colored iconography. He's a savvy gamer and would become familiar with the card types and guild references after enough plays, but he won't be inclined to put in those plays for a game that he literally can't see properly.

Is there any good reference to help a color-blind player? I looked through the file section here and there are a number of reference sheets, but they all talk in terms of "brown cards" and such, which just reiterates the same problem. He would need a way of referencing and distinguishing these without the color terms.

I could look to make something suitable if none exists, but figured I'd ask here first. Thanks!

I'm colourblind myself and I love 7 Wonders. I have played 8 games this year and am ever more impatiently awaiting my ninth game.

I do understand the frustration with the guild cards. It's not the cards themselves, it's the red/brown card icons that yield the bonus points. I some times struggle with them, but more frequently I don't. When in doubt, I just don't play that particular card. However, should you want to be able to play the game without running the risk of passing a card that you either do not want your neighbour to have or could use yourself, just memorise the few names of the guilds. There really aren't that many of them. If necessary, you could even use a cheat sheet in era III.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
Start with page 10-11 in the rules.

If the issue is only with brown/red/purple cards, here is what you need to know:

All of the purple cards say GUILD on them. You might be able to learn the guild's function by their names. Or just refer to the description in the rules.
All of the red cards have a military symbol on them.
All of the brown cards have a resource symbol on them.

There's also an official companion app for 7W with this info. However, it's the same layout and content as the rulebook.

Otherwise, I've seen folks sharpie letters so that you can tell the color from that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biro comment got me thinking in the right direction. My copy is sleeved, so I can just stick slips of paper with textual descriptions in the sleeves with the relevant cards. Even more elegant than writing on the cards or using an external reference sheet.

Ithink thats the way you want to go just don't cover up the clues in the bottom right of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.