Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Wingard

La Mirada
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everybody, so by now it's clear that there's a lot of geeks out there that are unhappy owners of Lucky Loop, due to the brilliant/insidious ploy of Tanga's Mystery Board Game sale.
See here: http://www.tanga.com/blogs/show/93
and here: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17414

So, in the spirit of making lemonaid after being sold lemons, I thought perhaps the combined intellect of the Geeks United could come up with a variant(s) for this game that's actually fun.

Now, this isn't the place for people to rise up and defend the original. I appreciate the fact that you paid full price and want to prove that it was WORTH it. We'll all play the original version and have some fun, I'm sure. But I bet the naysayers have good points, too.

This is a call for ideas for variants that will address some of these alleged issues:
Too lengthy
Too fiddly
Too simplisitic
Too luck-based

On behalf of the recipients of all the Christmas gifts from Tanga Mystery Board Game buyers, I thank you in advance!
-Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game isn't a 'lemon'. I like it well enough. Greg S also gave it a decent review.
Ok, here are the alleged 'issues' and my thoughts:

Too lengthy = play with 2-3 players instead.

Too fiddly = Not at all. You pick a 'mission' and roll to try and make it.

Too simplisitic = Do games have to be complex? Play it for what it is. It's Yahztee with variable goals. Now that isn't overly simplistic to me.

Too luck-based = It has...dice. What do you think? as with dice games, there is luck and there are ways to mitigate the luck issue.

Here are my thoughts about the whole Lucky Loop/Tanga issue:

1) Eurogamers who look at dice and go 'Random! Random!' will naturally dislike the game.

2) What were people expecting from the Tanga deal? Roads and Boats??? In fact, the speculation was heavily predicting this game as THE game people were getting so deal with it.

Ok, have you guys ACTUALLY played the game before starting to moan about how crap the game is? Or are you all keeping all your multiple copies in shrink?

Play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we allowed to moan about how crappy the game is, if we already bought it back when Funagain had it for $5, played it, THEN got rid of it, before unknowingly buying it again in a blind purchase from Tanga?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Neff
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're allowed to moan.... it's a free county (at least to where Tanga ships), but I don't think anyone who does has much room to gripe.

Tanga did not mislead anyone with what they sold. The game that you received is a $34.95 retail game (even if certain people don't feel it is worth that), just as advertized.

If you're not happy about it, then maybe you should think twice about purchasing something that is a "Mystery Game"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
Are we allowed to moan about how crappy the game is, if we already bought it back when Funagain had it for $5, played it, THEN got rid of it, before unknowingly buying it again in a blind purchase from Tanga?

Haha. That's really funny. That's just bad luck. Who knows, you might be destined to own the game!

Ah well, if you got rid of it once, you'll get rid of it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't say I was going to moan...hell, I haven't even got my mystery game yet, so it MAY be R&B.

Since I already have R&B, am I allowed to moan about geting a game I already own?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, I spend Geek Gold on useless things like this.
badge
Gloria: [to Robot] I'm just scared I'll come home one day and find you screwing a toaster.
mbmbmbmbmb
My two copies of Lucky Loop showed up today and both of my kids are interested in playing it, no moaning here if my kids are happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Neff
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said

tuneloon wrote:
You're allowed to moan.... it's a free county (at least to where Tanga ships

and my comment wasn't totally directed towards you. There are just a lot of people complaining that they feel ripped off by Tanga, when Tanga was in no way deceiptful in their advertising of the Mystery Item.

My three will be here tomorrow. Two of my game group members even went in on my purchase of 3, so I will (probably) get 1 Lucky Loop for $6, and I won't be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm sure adding a provost to Lucky Loop would help. Provosts help any game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wingard

La Mirada
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemme be clear - obviously I haven't played the game, but I'm actually looking forward to it. I'm glad I got 6 copies of Lucky Loop from Tanga, and I posted so everywhere I could.

I think there might be a place for complaining about Lucky Loop.
I think there might be a place for raving about Lucky Loop.
I'm telling you that this isn't either of those places.

This forum is for coming up with variants that would give the game variety, and just possibly make it more fun.
Cool? Cool.
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desultor wrote:

I think there might be a place for complaining about Lucky Loop.
I think there might be a place for raving about Lucky Loop.
I'm telling you that this isn't either of those places.

This forum is for coming up with variants that would give the game variety, and just possibly make it more fun.
Cool? Cool.
cool

Very cool. My bad for being OT.

As for variants?

I have addressed the alleged 'faults' and don't think that they are valid.

As for variants?

I suggest:

1) Playing with less players 2-3 is ideal.
2) Instead of playing 4 shows before being allowed the 'private show', try 3 shows.

The game isn't that long and could qualify as a middle length filler. I don't think it needs any variants but mileage obviously varies. I don't see how Tom Vasel could say that this is 'random' and yet like Dancing Dice!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Humphreys
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game for the first time today. It wasn't a terrible game, but there are at least a couple serious flaws that need fixing to make it reasonably strategic.

First off, (as would be expected), the luck is high. This is not a problem in and of itself, except for the bonus chips. In fact, I think that the bonus chips may be where the game's true flaws lie.

The bonus chips can be used to add an extra die roll to the trick set, or to reroll up to three dice. Thus, the bonus chips help to negate luck. You earn bonus chips by completing a consecutive number of tricks and setting trick records.

In this way, bonus chips add a certain amount of momentum to the leading player. They can get lucky and perform a trick well and score 2 bonus chips. Then, the bonus chips can be used to fudge the die rolls in their favor, allowing them to "fix" bad rolls on the next trick. An investment of two chips could very well return two more bonus chips, which can be invested on the next trick for two more bonus chips, and so on. The key is:

ONCE A PERSON GETS LUCKY ONCE, THEY NO LONGER NEED LUCK TO STAY AHEAD.

There is no catch-up mechanism (such as in games like Power Grid, or even Nexus Ops). He who gets ahead stays ahead. The game may very well be decided after one round!!!

This is an oversimplification, and I've only played one game, but I feel that this would be true on subsequent plays.

So.... How to fix it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wolgemuth
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beisaic wrote:
I played this game for the first time today. It wasn't a terrible game, but there are at least a couple serious flaws that need fixing to make it reasonably strategic.

First off, (as would be expected), the luck is high. This is not a problem in and of itself, except for the bonus chips. In fact, I think that the bonus chips may be where the game's true flaws lie.

The bonus chips can be used to add an extra die roll to the trick set, or to reroll up to three dice. Thus, the bonus chips help to negate luck. You earn bonus chips by completing a consecutive number of tricks and setting trick records.

In this way, bonus chips add a certain amount of momentum to the leading player. They can get lucky and perform a trick well and score 2 bonus chips. Then, the bonus chips can be used to fudge the die rolls in their favor, allowing them to "fix" bad rolls on the next trick. An investment of two chips could very well return two more bonus chips, which can be invested on the next trick for two more bonus chips, and so on. The key is:

ONCE A PERSON GETS LUCKY ONCE, THEY NO LONGER NEED LUCK TO STAY AHEAD.

There is no catch-up mechanism (such as in games like Power Grid, or even Nexus Ops). He who gets ahead stays ahead. The game may very well be decided after one round!!!

This is an oversimplification, and I've only played one game, but I feel that this would be true on subsequent plays.

So.... How to fix it?

I am not sure you are playing the rules for getting the Bonus Chips correctly.

The rules state on page 5 that in any one round a player can receive a maximum of one bonus-chip.

The other rules for how to win chips are...

1. Whoever successfully completes exactly two stunts in a stunt rountine receives a bonus-chip.

2. The player, who is first to achieve a result of at least 12 points within a stunt routine, receives a bonus chip.

3. Whoever then beats the existing best score (for a stunt)also receives a bonus-chip.

4. Each player, scoring 20 or more points in one flight, also receives a bonus-chip.

If I understand the rules correctly. If I have done 2 of the 3 cards(exactly 2 stunts) for a routine and decide to stop I get a bonus-chip. If I attempt the 3rd card and fail, I get a bonus-chip. If I attempt the 3rd card and am successful, then I get the points. If my points beat the current high-score for a stunt then I get a chip or if my score is over 20 I would get a bonus-chip.

But again, I think the key here is that I only get one bonus-chip.

Technically I could earn a bonus-chip for passing rule 3 and a bonus-chip for passing rule 4 if my points were greater than 20, but I only get one.

This leads to the question of scoring high when you attempt a stunt to prevent others from scoring higher and getting a bonus-chip. Also if you are the first one to complete the stunt and it is high (say 18), you earn the bonus-chip and set the bar high for everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, I spend Geek Gold on useless things like this.
badge
Gloria: [to Robot] I'm just scared I'll come home one day and find you screwing a toaster.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a quick rules question. I haven't played it yet but glanced over the rules. Top of page 3 on the English rules that you can down load it says when playing an individual card it doesn't have to have a higher degree of difficulty but the example next to it says the card has to have a higher degree of difficulty, which is right?

TIA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wolgemuth
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkEA wrote:
I have a quick rules question. I haven't played it yet but glanced over the rules. Top of page 3 on the English rules that you can down load it says when playing an individual card it doesn't have to have a higher degree of difficulty but the example next to it says the card has to have a higher degree of difficulty, which is right?

TIA

Looking at the german which said...

Sie muss gleicher farbe sein, jedoch einen höheren schwierigkeitsgrad haben.

I ran it through a translator and it came back with...

She must be same farbe (color), have, however, higher schwierigkeitsgrad (degree of difficulty).

This implies to me that the replacement card must be higher in difficulty like the text above the picture and the same color.

I think the other text on the left that says you don't have to have a higher degree of difficulty is an error in the English Rules translation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Dietrich
Germany
Troisdorf
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to apologize, this is indeed a mistake.
The card has to be of the same color and a higher degree of difficulty (as it was stated on the right side of the rulespage near the example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Dietrich
Germany
Troisdorf
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right, Brent.
1. Only 2 successful attempts -> no scoring but a chip (It doesn't matter if you only make two attempts or three attempts with a failure on the least one).
2. Three successful attempts -> scoring but no chip
2.a Scoring is the best in the resp. category -> scoring plus 1 chip (BUT only if the scoring is 12 or higher). So if you get the best score (e.g. early in the game) buit this score is lower than 12, you will get no Bonus-chip.
2.b Scoring is 20 or above -> scoring (20) plus 1 Bonus-chip

And, it is not allowed to get more than 1 chip in one turn!
Hope that helps
and all the best from germany
Bernd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Hwang
United States
Elmsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you also get a bonus chip if you miss the final flight plan by 1 card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wingard

La Mirada
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me that most nay-sayers are wanting this game to be more/less than it is - and it's not really possible to add/subtract what's missing/abundant. Also, there's probably some bitterness over the rules and box being in German, and the English translation lacking polish in the rules PDF. Or they're just upset at being snookered by Tanga's Mystery sale.

So far for variants we have the following (thanks Shawn!)
1) Play with only 2-3 players.
2) Move to Freestyle after only 3 successful routines.

I'll play the original (with corrected English rules) and probably both the above variants this weekend, and see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a variant that vastly improves Lucky Loop, but it requires some extra components.

1. Take a block of wood and place a board on it.
2. Place LL on one end of the board.
3. Jump on the other end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
3. Jump on the other end.

You big bully.....Lucky Loop is a fine family game. Why would you want to flip it around the room making its bits spill out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.