Subject: Catan cards - Mint too powerful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Christensen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I just played this game for the first time as a two-player with the 'science & Technology' expansion and it seems to me that that 'Mint' card from the base deck is far too powerful. Since we didn't use all the cards (obviously), I wonder how the Mint compares to other cards and if there are others that might equal or counter the Mint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Production doublers!

The Mint takes a 3-1 trade down to a 1-1, so all you need to counter it is a couple of extra production items. The two easiest/cheapest ways of getting that much extra production over your opponent are the production doublers and the two extra land cards that come with that 5th settlement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christensen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
A 5th settlement? I must have been doing something wrong as I only got one extra settlement by game end. Either the die rolls didn't help me or I bought the wrong items or my opponent bought the right items. I had two production doublers but hit on them only three times in the game which didn't help me much at all. My foe was getting gold almost every round and buying 1 to 1 just as often. There was no chance I could compete against that which is why I am considering not using the 'mint' in future games unless someone has some different advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thies Kolln
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you only got 3 settlements down, you should look there for reasons why you lost and not blame the power of the Mint. I think this is a very well balanced game, and have yet to find a card that is generally overpowered. Like many other cards, the Mint can be very powerfull, in the right situation. If you get the extra gold field and get the Mint built relatively early, it can generate a lot of benefit for you. However, it doesn't really increase your total resources, just makes them (or at least gold) more flexible. Production doublers and extra production regions (from more settlements) that actually get you more resources are probably more beneficial in most games, especially when combined with the right fleets. I'd say that the Gold Fleet can help you as much as the Mint over the course of a game because you can get it on the table early without having to first build a city.

In any case, I'd recommend a lot more plays of this game before deciding to leave out a card. If you ultimately still feel the Mint unbalances the game, by all means play it the way you prefer. But because there are so many cards and strategies available in this game I predict you'll see different cards playing the deciding role in each game. And sometimes it also just comes down to a good/bad roll of the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Preston-Marshall
New Zealand
Twizel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played with the Knights and Merchants expansion recently, and because it has cards that give extra gold when the Year of Plenty is rolled, the Mint did seem excessively powerful (at one stage I was getting 5 gold every time Y of P was rolled, so she didn't really have much of a chance).

All the same, I don't think I'd leave the Mint out, as concentrating on putting together a combination like this is a bit risky, and probably means missing out on other opportunities, keeping things in balance to some degree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Gurrola
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing I think about the mint, is that it costs a lot, doesn't give victory points, can be targeted by the arsonist, gives like 1 or 2 commerce points(forget the number). It could help, but me and my opponent are cutthroat, so important stuff never seems to stay out. It's just how you play the game, and while we thought it was important at first, it hasn't come out in the last 3 or 4 games as other things were better to play(we also expand very fast and have intense competition for the last settlement.) We are veterans of the game, and after a while you just have to work with what you get, and you probably needed more settlements, as one strategy never seems to beat out another(more settlements doesn't always win...mostly loses here heh). Just play more and you will realize the power of all the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.