Subject: Buyers Choice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colby Bimore
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I recently came across the SMG and SDD game products. Aside from miniatures versus cardboard figures, scale of map, and cost both games seem similar. Am I basically correct?

I ask because I am trying to decide which of the two I should buy into. Are both games going to be further enhanced going forward? Is one more popular in terms of sales versus the other? Do fans of this game play one more often than the other?

Any feedback is welcome, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic mechanics are almost identical, the exception being movement due to the change in scale. Both are played man-to-man, and have been discussed in various threads under each game. The DDS version feels a little more squad-like because each tile is smaller and movement is by tile rather than inches, as in the SMG game. I like both.

Note that they Re so similar that you can get soldier cards for both games that share the "same" stats.

As for future enhancements, only the publisher knows for sure wen we might get more, but more is is pending for both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
starfleetdroid wrote:
One suggestion I have is if you don't prefer one game over the other then I suggest you buy SDD first. It is cheaper to get into and if you find you don't like the system later on it won't cost you so much money.

Stephen has the right call on this one. SMG can get up there if you start to go crazy. Not saying that there can be a nice investment in SDD when you start adding soldiers, chapters and tactics but its way easier to get into overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Edwards
msg tools
One other factor to consider is the table space you have. SDD requires less table space than SMG. SDD comes with significantly more soldiers than SMG (32 v.10 if I remember correctly). To use 30 soldiers in an SMG game you would realistically need to buy an expansion set for additional map squares as well as the additional soldiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Anderson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another item to consider is game experience.

The games are very similar, but in SMG you have to worry about the facing of your troops and firing arcs. You do not have any of this in SDD. This means that infantry tactics are a little "easier" in SDD because flanking is less relevant.

For the initial $40 investment though, I personally think SDD is a "no brainer" as an entry to the series to try rather cheaply before taking the plunge.

George

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Bimore
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Thanks to everyone for your feedback, it is much appreciated.

I missed the boat on the SDD discount sale. The game's price has gone from the $40 special offering back to its regular price of $60, still a good buy.

After weighing all the facts I am leaning toward SMG instead of SDD. I have read both rule sets and the one thing I don't like as much is the Move+ / Move++ area movement modifiers concept. I much prefer the SMG measurement system as it seems cleaner to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on your definition of clean. Plenty of people have issues with the movement in SMG because of the seams in the map. I have still not found the perfect game but this one sure is fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Bimore
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Thank you for your input Martin!

By "clean" I mean I much prefer a movement system where you just measure out the movement (be it by inches or squares). Having to place a Move+ / Move++ marker just because you are moving through a diagonal corner versus a side seems "unnecessary" to me.

Perhaps the better approach would have been to just allow one diagonal move and have the soldier stop right after that move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Colby, welcome to the club of SMG. I'm sure you'll enjoy the scenarios and the painted miniatures. While many folks may like DDS, it just did not appeal to me. The stand up card board figures were a turn off as were the rules. Granted that SMG is a bit pricier, you are getting painted miniatures with the base game...enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to intrude on the discussion, but I was curious what SDD stands for? I have always been intrigued by SMG, but the cost has always held me back. Is SDD similar with less expense? Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Stephen! Great information. Now I'm heading over to the SDD page to check it out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.