Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw Treasure Falls at a local specialty kids' toy shop and decided to pick it up for $10, as it looked like it would be interesting to a child, however the gameplay turned out. I tried it out this evening with my 4-year-old daughter, 6-year-old twin boys, and 9-year old daughter.

They were extremely interested to try it. We set it up, putting the water discs randomly over the river, and the treasures on top. It looks rather pretty set up, I must say - people walking by will probably stop to look. The kids were very curious to see how the game itself worked.

Bethany, the nine-year-old, started the die rolling, and as she pushed the log up to the shoreline stoppers, the children were delighted to see how the waterfall worked, and watch the water discs at the edge fall off. The next four die-rolls all managed to be "X"'s (meaning turns are skipped). The game carried on from there, with Bethany getting more than her share of the treasures. Apart from her, the others didn't seem to really understand the strategy behind the proper place to place the new water discs in front of the log. Bethany would cleverly place the discs so that she could get the next treasure or two right to the edge of the falls on her turn, and her plans worked. She was even able to capture the white treasure, which managed to find its way ahead of another one to the waterfall's edge, much to the despair of the others. They did seem to understand and quickly memorize the value of each color of treasure pretty quickly though.

Final Scores:
Bethany: 13
The others: tied at 5

The game lasted about 20 minutes - perfect for this type of very light kids' game. It's more engaging than I thought it would be - even for an adult. I'm interested to see how adults would like it if I could convince them to try it for a quick filler.

One thing I wasn't sure of was if this game could potentially last forever if there was one treasure left on one of the edges and people kept putting new water discs on the other edge before pushing the log. That would not be good. However, unless the water discs are set up perfectly in straight lines of either only small or large discs per line, it turns out that this wouldn't happen. The treasure would keep moving toward the edge, even if only a tiny bit at a time.

Overall, I think this game is a hit with the kids - a good little purchase. They would love to have played again right away. It's simple, short, has a good dose of the "what will happen if I do this?" element, and the kids can actually see the motion of what's happening in the game. I would rate this game a 5 myself, but on a scale of 1 to 10 for kids' games only, probably more like an 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed! Have had similar success with 3 and 5 year-olds....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.