Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone caompare Caylus to Power Grid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Barringer
United States
Rushford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They aren't really the same type of game IMO.

In Caylus you are doing different things every round trying to stay ahead with prestige points, favors from the king, and building while maintaining enough money to pay your workers the next turn. Interactivity comes in with competition for turn order and running for the "best" buildings.

In Powergrid you are branching out in a network and upgrading your powerplants. This also involves a certain amount of fiscal acuity as you have to use your money on powerplant, cities, and resources to fuel your plants in a constantly changing fuel market. Interactivity comes in when you're bidding for powerplants, cutting people off when you're placing cities, and buying resources which in turn raises their prices.

Both have somewhat daunting rules, but are very easy play once you've learned them. If someone wo's played before can teach you, you'll save a lot of time.

These are two of the best games I've ever played, but it's not comparing apples to apples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kelly
United States
Madison
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They both take awhile (about 3 hrs), both are pretty fiddly with lots of small pieces, and both are efficiency games. Caylus is prettier, but my group found Power Grid a lot more fun and less of a brain-burner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid is WAY more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
muppaphone wrote:
They both take awhile (about 3 hrs), both are pretty fiddly with lots of small pieces, and both are efficiency games. Caylus is prettier, but my group found Power Grid a lot more fun and less of a brain-burner.

I don't think any of my games of PG have ever gone more than 2 hours...maybe 2 1/2 the first time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muppaphone wrote:

I'm the polar opposite. I've enjoyed caylus a lot more and find power grid to require more mental power (unless you're allowed to use a calculator).

They are both good games, but very different from each other, making comparisons difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kelly
United States
Madison
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
muppaphone wrote:

I'm the polar opposite. I've enjoyed caylus a lot more and find power grid to require more mental power (unless you're allowed to use a calculator).

They are both good games, but very different from each other, making comparisons difficult.

That's really interesting. I kind of grokked the economics of Power Grid right off while one of the guys in my game group sucks at it but consistently beats me at Caylus. All those cubes and which one will be coming at which time confuse the hell out of me, but the Power Grid stuff seems sort of transparent.

I guess that we've now rendered this thread useless to the questioner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
They both have little coloured houses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akke Monasso
Netherlands
Aalten
Achterhoek
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
custom golf clubs wrote:
Can someone caompare Caylus to Power Grid?

They're both heavier games that require a strategy to do well. They're both fun games, but Power Grid is a better design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're both overrated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
muppaphone wrote:

Not only that I have the opposite opinion I ask how big meeples or wooden houses must be that you don't consider them small and fiddly anymore meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm confused again. What does fiddly mean in these two games? For me I would define fiddly as they don't work well out of the box and you need to screw around with the rules. Do you mean these are fiddly because you have to move pieces around? I don't see how that is bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kelly
United States
Madison
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean there are too many of them and you're constantly exchanging them and the Power Grid ones tend to roll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chantigny
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid is a bit easier to learn and alot more intuitive for the casual gamer.

Caylus is harder to grasp and you can't really do well on your first game since you need to know what happens at the end to target a strategy next time.

Both are great games and I enjoy them. I guess Caylus works well with hardcore gamers and Power Grid can be teached to less hardcore ones easier.

Good luck in choosing and if you're not sure, well buy both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games can EASILY be played in under 2 hours with 3-4 players. Both games are very different. Both games are best with 3-4 players. Both games get longer than is good for them with more. Both are great games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Power Grid offers less opportunity for new players to completely humiliate themselves. In Caylus, a new player often places a worker, say, in the castle intending to build. When that phase FINALLY comes and he's all eager to chunk his house down, you have to shamefully point out he already spent his one spam (food) elsewhere and doesn't have the resources to build there. Happened to me, and usually happens to any people we teach the game to. Maybe we're just dumber than most!

I enjoy both games with a slight preference to PG. I think it's easier to get people to play PG. It's not as intimidating and easier to explain.

I agree with the "buy both" comment. I did and do not regret it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider Power Grid a more fun game. I have played it several times and it never seems to lose the "fun" factor. I have lost in convincing ways and won when I thought there was no hope. I have even tied for a win on the tie-breaker. We play with Jay and he has a no table-talk house rule. As I have stated before, I love to say, "I think Jay is going to win" on the last turn. It drives him crazy.
Anyway...
Caylus is a game that I just really didn't like. I thought it could have multiple ways of winning, but I haven't played enough to see if this is true. It sounds as if, from reading the various reviews, that there are few paths to victory; I reiterate, I have not played it enough to be sure.
So I would go for PG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
They are currently ranked 3rd and 4th best game by the BGG Users, so you can't really go wrong with either one.

I think alot of the "fun" that people talk about for Power Grid has to do with the changes from game to game.

In Caylus, the only random elements are the order of the 6 neutral buildings. After this, everything in the game is a by-product of the players decisions. So if you have a group that doesn't vary its play style and always has the same number of players, the games can start to feel the same after a while. Not that this is necessarily bad, it's just a feature.

In Power Grid, the order the power plants are available for auction is randomized, as well as which power plants are removed from the game with fewer players. You also, never use the entire board, so you can vary which map you use and which regions of each map are in play. There are also 2 expansions which each have 2 maps on them. So if you get them too, you have 6 maps to choose from, and a whole slew of possible board configurations. This makes each game feel different and provides slightly different challenges with each playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Neff
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goofyboy wrote:
Power Grid is a bit easier to learn and alot more intuitive for the casual gamer.

Caylus is harder to grasp and you can't really do well on your first game since you need to know what happens at the end to target a strategy next time.

I would definately agree.

Your best bet is going to be to determine who you're going to be playing the game with and what they (and you) like.

Both are very good heavier weight games, Caylus IMO is a little harder to pick up on, which can be good or bad, depending on what you and your group like. If your group is not into the heavier games (or isn't there yet), I would suggest Power Grid first, then a future move to Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 2-player situation, I'd recommend Caylus over Funkenschlag, because of the powerplant-auctions. Both games can be played by two, but Caylus is the tenser and more strategical one.

But...I love the new Benelux-board!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.