Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Halekakis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there--silly question forthcoming! I searched for a while on the rules forum here but didn't see this one asked (which leads me to believe that the people I played this with the first time were high on the crack, but anyway...).

I played only once before this evening with a gamer group up here in Seattle; they seemed to think that the rules stated that your railroad lines needed to be completely contiguous. As in, once you built your first rail, all your rails from there on out had to connect to where you started. Now that I've purchased the game myself and played once with friends, I see no reference to this particular rule. Can you build anywhere you like all willy nilly or no?

Thanks in advance for the answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Banks
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those gamers are full of horse-puckey -- you can build wherever you like at any time.

The only times you need contiguous lines are to collect the Major Line cards, and at least one of the Tycoon cards (connect NY & Chicago). Otherwise, have at it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other explanation besides being full of "something" is they are confusing RRT with Age of Steam. In AoS you must be contiguous, but not in RRT as the poster above pointed out.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Durrett
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TMJJS wrote:
The other explanation besides being full of "something" is they are confusing RRT with Age of Steam. In AoS you must be contiguous, but not in RRT as the poster above pointed out.

Good luck!

You track network need not be contiguous in AoS either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I'm confused ... shake

On page 6 of the rules for RTT in the Build Track section, second paragraph, first line states:

"When a player builds track, the ends of the track must match up so that the railroad forms a continuous line."

Does this not apply to the entire rail network?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. That rule is to prevent a player from building multiple links in one turn (which would not match up end to end) and also prevents blocking in more than one place on a single turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things:

1) In the Computer Game, the contiguous requirement is only for a couple of scenarios, not all of them (at least in RRT 2).

2) I do not own the game. However, the way I read the rules, for each time you choose to "build" track, you must build contiguous for that particular phase (of up to 4 track pieces, or a connection, whichever comes first). However, if you choose to "build" track multiple times, then you can end up with multiple track segments that are not contiguous.

Sam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
butsam wrote:
for each time you choose to "build" track, you must build contiguous for that particular phase (of up to 4 track pieces, or a connection, whichever comes first). However, if you choose to "build" track multiple times, then you can end up with multiple track segments that are not contiguous.

When you execute a build track action, all track built during that action must be contiguous and belong to a single link. There is no requirement that that link connect to any other that you have built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.