Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Tobago [+] solo_rules [+] [View All]
NICK KOUKOS
Greece
HERAKLION ,CRETE
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first attempt for a solo variant. Your comments are mostly welcome.

TOBAGO

(My solo variant)

Goal: Get as much treasure as you can – compare results. The artificial opponent (AI) doesn’t score*, but use AI’s markers when placing cards. Use a discard pile for treasure cards “accepted” by AI and another one for completely discarded cards (“removed” from now on).

Setup: for 2 players. No amulets used in the game, so where statues face is not important

Gameplay: I use a 20-sided die for AI’s options, but I think any die with denomination of 5 should do. On Player’s turn the options are the usual ones: play a card or move

Important notice: The AI’s cards should always remain face down and in the sequence they are drawn. Put any new card at the bottom of the AI’s stack.

On AI’s turn, roll the die and do the following according to the result of the roll:

1,6,11,16: Put the first AI’s card (on top of the stack) in the column of the grey treasure

2,7,12,17: Put the first AI’s card (on top of the stack) in the column of the brown treasure

3,8,13,18: Put the first AI’s card (on top of the stack) in the column of the black treasure

4,9,14,19: Put the first AI’s card (on top of the stack) in the column of the white treasure

5,10,15,20: Move (If there is at least 1 discovered treasure don’t use the die and move)

In case the card of the AI doesn’t fit to the treasure, try another treasure in clockwise direction. In case the card doesn’t fit anywhere, discard it and move instead. Replenish AI’s “hand” to 6 cards. If it is AI’s turn and there is (at least) 1 discovered treasure, don’t use the die and move, according to:

AI’s movement priority - Use the full number of steps if possible

1. Towards location of closest discovered (but not raised) treasure
2. (Next) treasure with fewest markers on board (at least 1)
3. Closest, smallest area of treasure with most hints (cards)
4. Biggest area of Player’s choice
If AI is already in an area which corresponds to #1, don’t move.

Treasure raise

Assign the number of cards corresponding to the Player’s and AI’s markers face down. Look at Player’s cards only. Take another card from the stack (always face down) and shuffle all the cards (Player’s and AI’s). Reveal first card. If the next marker to be resolved is Player’s, choose whether you keep the card or not. If the next marker is AI’s proceed as follows: if the card’s value is equal to or greater than 4, discard it (the AI accepts it). If the card’s value is equal to or lower than 3, roll the die: on an odd number discard the card (AI accepts it). On an even number keep the card to resolve the next marker in sequence. If a card is not accepted in 2 consecutive turns from Player and AI, remove it from the game - it is not counted against you in case of alternative scoring (see end of these rules). If a curse card is drawn: Stop the distribution of the cards – whoever (Player or/and AI) has markers left to be resolved loses his most valuable treasure (remove these cards completely).

*For a greater challenge you can deduct the value of the discarded (but not removed) cards when counting your score (your score could be negative in this case)

After several times I have playtested this, I came to an additional (optional) rule, applicable only for the player: In case none of the 6 cards could be assigned in a treasure, discard one treasure card and replace any (or all) of the cards with new ones.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tornabe
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found out about this game and was questioning to add it it to my collection but these solo rules sound great. Now I just need to find a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a reasonably priced copy at Grooves Land.

Full Link: https://www.grooves-inc.de/zoch-28400-tobago-bruce-allen-284...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¿¿¿
Australia
The Most Liveable City In The World
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is where I got mine from, comes with multiple languages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Greenwood
United States
White Bear Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick - You should do a instructional play-though video of your solo variant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.