Subject: BGG contributions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrewzgamez AzGzEz

Sarasota
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find it odd that the BGG website would have advertised on its site an item which is otherwise available on e-bay . Is this not ' self-promotion ' ? , if not , then what amounts to such action ? The e-bay asking price was about $300 for some crap item ( in the most recent , but just can't recall what it was .. perhaps Civilization Anniversay ed. , or something ) I am willing to provide totally free of charge a number of print&play games . There is not so much as a single advertisement . This, to my mind , is what a website such as BGG should be about . Am I required to but a certain amount of micro-badges or Geek-gold , or the like .. ( in other words , give back-handers ) in order to be taken seriously ? Theball's in your court .
Regards
Andrewzgamez ( ' z z ' on a Google search , pleaze )
AnduMandu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you please restate your post more clearly?

And possibly with links?

I can't tell at all what you're trying to explain or refer to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this code for something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Manduwolf wrote:
I find it odd that the BGG website would have advertised on its site an item which is otherwise available on e-bay .
It's not really clear what you mean here. When you say "advertise on its site" do you actually mean advertising? Because that's simply standard practice where a vendor pays to have ads displayed. I suspect you mean that they're offering something for sale. But again, that's not clear what you would mean either. There is a BGG store, where BGG itself offers items for sale, but it mostly sells promo items. There is a BGG marketplace that BGG facilitates, but that's BGG members putting items up for sale, not BGG itself.

Manduwolf wrote:
Is this not ' self-promotion ' ? , if not , then what amounts to such action ?
I can't answer this until you clarify my questions above.

Manduwolf wrote:
The e-bay asking price was about $300 for some crap item ( in the most recent , but just can't recall what it was .. perhaps Civilization Anniversay ed. , or something )
Anything that sells for $300 on ebay isn't something you'd find in the BGG store. That's must be for a game you saw in the BGG marketplace. Which means it's just a member of the website offering it up for sale. I'm not sure why that would be an issue for you. BGG functions as a marketplace in the same way that Ebay does. It makes sense to me that if you want to buy or sell a boardgame that you'd have a better chance on a site that is specifically devoted to board games.

Manduwolf wrote:
I am willing to provide totally free of charge a number of print&play games . There is not so much as a single advertisement . This, to my mind , is what a website such as BGG should be about .
Well... it may or may not be legal to offer free print and play versions of games online, depending on the game. Most retail games, like the Civilization game you mentioned above, probably would not be a game that you could legally distribute a print and play version of. I don't know why you would think that a site devoted to board games, board game enthusiasts and board game designers should necessarily be about allowing users to illegally print and play games which are available for purchase.

Manduwolf wrote:
Am I required to but a certain amount of micro-badges or Geek-gold , or the like .. ( in other words , give back-handers ) in order to be taken seriously ? Theball's in your court .
Nope. Your arguments stand on their own logic, or lack thereof.

Manduwolf wrote:
Regards
AnduMandu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribing to this one. I have the feeling it could get a little crazy .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dempster
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what this is about, I saw the other post from this guy recently.

He is a teacher of English in Japan and in the course of his teaching developed some games that he would like to share with the community free of charge, so he posted here telling possibly interested parties where they could find his work.

It now seems that post has been removed and he has been slapped on the wrist for shameless self promotion, and he feels aggrieved that his desire to share with the community has been thus interpreted. To add insult to injury BGG carries ebay advertisements which are clearly for personal monetary gain of individual traders.

It comes down to the balance between altruism and self promotion, and I haven't actually looked up his games to be able to judge that myself, but clearly someone at BGG did and rightly or wrongly decided to remove the post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magnus_eisengrim wrote:

He is a teacher of English in Japan and in the course of his teaching developed some games that he would like to share with the community free of charge, so he posted here telling possibly interested parties where they could find his work.

It now seems that post has been removed and he has been slapped on the wrist for shameless self promotion, and he feels aggrieved that his desire to share with the community has been thus interpreted. To add insult to injury BGG carries ebay advertisements which are clearly for personal monetary gain of individual traders.

It comes down to the balance between altruism and self promotion, and I haven't actually looked up his games to be able to judge that myself, but clearly someone at BGG did and rightly or wrongly decided to remove the post.

Where were they posted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
magnus_eisengrim wrote:
shameless self promotion, and he feels aggrieved that his desire to share with the community has been thus interpreted. To add insult to injury BGG carries ebay advertisements which are clearly for personal monetary gain of individual traders.

The ruling here is super clear for both cases:
If you want to link people to game related content AWAY from BGG, BGG expects payment for the use of their site as a promotional vehicle.

That means 1) you can post ads you pay for and 2) you can't post ads you don't.

Although I'm not sure how you could divine any of what you said from that original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magnus_eisengrim wrote:

I remember this as well. I guess the question is, what is the proper method to offer such a thing on the site?

Pete (suspects maybe there isn't one for legal reasons)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
The individual in question can go through the process and upload a version of the game to the database, get it approved, then add the files, then upload pics of his versions ...

Same as any other game in the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Manduwolf wrote:
I find it odd that the BGG website would have advertised on its site an item which is otherwise available on e-bay . Is this not ' self-promotion ' ? , if not , then what amounts to such action ? The e-bay asking price was about $300 for some crap item ( in the most recent , but just can't recall what it was .. perhaps Civilization Anniversay ed. , or something ) I am willing to provide totally free of charge a number of print&play games . There is not so much as a single advertisement . This, to my mind , is what a website such as BGG should be about . Am I required to but a certain amount of micro-badges or Geek-gold , or the like .. ( in other words , give back-handers ) in order to be taken seriously ? Theball's in your court .
Regards
AnduMandu

So drunk posting is a thing now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
The ruling here is super clear for both cases:
If you want to link people to game related content AWAY from BGG, BGG expects payment for the use of their site as a promotional vehicle.

That means 1) you can post ads you pay for and 2) you can't post ads you don't.
Actually, I'm fairly certain that you can post the latter in the press release forum. I'd say that restricting those posts to the press release forum is much more about preventing the regular forums from getting spammed as it is about trying to prevent people from promoting their own content without paying an ad cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
The individual in question can go through the process and upload a version of the game to the database, get it approved, then add the files, then upload pics of his versions ...

Same as any other game in the system.

He can also add the game to the many lists of free P&P games which people who are actually interested in these games are watching. He just went about the whole thing in a way that was against the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TracerBullet wrote:
Manduwolf wrote:
Regards
AnduMandu

So drunk posting is a thing now?

wasn't it always devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
magnus_eisengrim wrote:
He is a teacher of English in Japan...

He teaches English?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Lucas
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Siouxfire wrote:
magnus_eisengrim wrote:
He is a teacher of English in Japan...

He teaches English?!

My thoughts exactly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dempster
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Where were they posted?

Right here in General Gaming. Well the games are on his own website he just posted an announcement here. I subscribed to new threads in this forum though I am starting to feel there is more chaff than wheat and just sorting it takes so much time without even making a meaningful contribution myself. If I see a chance to step in though I will as in this case where I knew what he meant but others didnt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the BGG rules (which all members should have read when joining), promotions are restricted to the News Forum of the game in question and one announcement in the Press Releases Forum, nowhere else.

Unless someone already said that, in which case I said it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.