Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simone Tessaro
Italy
Rome
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello, this game is very interesting and it's on the top of my wishlist. But i've a question. Which is the size of the board? I've a small table in a small house cry, and this makes the difference sometimes..

Bye

Simone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick search of the reviews threw up these measurements: 114cm by 91cm, or 45" by 36".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll need room for the bank, the bag of cubes, the pile of track tiles (could be in a plastic container but needs to be somewhere), shares - both the stock and for each player, and the engine cards.

What I'm trying to say is that RRT, like most board games, also needs space around the outside edge too.
I'd leave a 6 to 8 inch margin on the edges when considering table size.

Now, to a certain degree there is empty space on the Railroad Tycoon board for some of this stuff. But it really will fill up a large table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
A word of warning ...

With Eagle going bust, this one is proving harder and harder to find.

If you know somewhere that has it, I would advise you to make a quick decision!

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
We keep TV trays on hand for games that overflow our table. RRT is not the worst offender, since at least the per-user bits are not too numerous. We use one tray for all the "bank" items: money, shares, the shuffled deck of RR Ops cards. We use a couple of plastic bowls to hold track tiles, so they don't spread out the way piles can and they can easily be picked up and handed around; they can usually rest in a corner of the board. Each player gets a smaller plastic bowl for his locomotives: again, these can be placed in any unused spot and easily moved if necessary. We spread the available Ops cards over the artwork and usually-unused territory at the top of the board. As the game progresses there are fewer cards available so any territory they cover gets freed up before it's needed.

The board overlaps our table by about 1/4" on the east and west, leaving some uncovered table space at north and top. Along with the TV tray, it works fine. If we didn't have a TV tray, we'd probably drag up another chair and put the box on it and use that.

RRT is a great game. I say get it, and work out the logistics later!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
simotessa wrote:
Hello, this game is very interesting and it's on the top of my wishlist. But i've a question. Which is the size of the board? I've a small table in a small house cry, and this makes the difference sometimes..

Bye

Simone

Buy Age of Steam instead. It is a better game and the board is small so it will fit on your table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...or copy the map and lop off the useless edges.
You will need a scoring pad of paper or some replacement but this can
chop 4 inches off the sides and more off the top.
:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
You can reclaim the edges of the board by using hholzgrafe's Modular Scoring Track. It solves several problems: players can rest their elbows without worrying about knocking scoring markers off, each score slot is actually big enough to hold a half-dozen markers without crowding, and it's much easier to read the actual scores and incomes for each slot.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=16626

We lay it out along the top edge of the board. Of course it takes up some room of its own, but it works much better than the printed track.

Yes, hholzgrafe is related to me. Other RRT improvements from the Holzgrafe family include Helen's tuckboxes and my money wallets, all available in the Files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald M. Zabos
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
simotessa wrote:

Bye

Simone

Hello,

you can also play RRT on a biig carpet - like we did because of a too small table. But beware: after five hours of gameplay there will be at least one of six people complaining about situation. Be sure to have some beer around for relaxation and everything will be fine ...

Gerald

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.