Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it works in this situation. Interesting thing here is that nobody got shot or arrested.

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY — A video of a man detaining another man at gunpoint along a busy street was going viral online Monday, as police explained the complicated details behind it and why nobody was arrested following the ordeal.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=33951655&nid=148&title=vira...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Does "Hand up, Dont shoot" really work ?
So...a man with a gun tried to stop the prevention of a robbery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If only more people carried. Then we could have had a guy with a gun stopping the guy with a gun stopping the guy with a gun stopping the guy with a knife. What could go wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
If the thief hadn't stopped, I wonder if the civilian would have shot him as that would seem to be illegal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb

I wish they said what happened first...or if they did I missed it.

I did hear the armed man say he has a knife in his pocket....I wonder if the man on the ground pulled it out to rob or threaten someone? If so, I salute the "gunman" for stopping him, as well as for his composure.

Oh, to the anti gun folks....maybe criminals would think before attempting to rob, rape or kill someone if there was the possibility they were armed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
If the thief hadn't stopped, I wonder if the civilian would have shot him as that would seem to be illegal.

I wonder if someone would have been stabbed or beaten or robbed if the man on the ground was not detained? That would be illegal too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So there were no arrests and nobody got shot. That's great. I wish every encounter went like that.

Do you feel there should be any consequences for someone pulling a weapon on someone and detaining them when police determine there is not enough cause to lead to an arrest? Or can anyone pull on anyone and then they can go out for a beer afterwards* because hey... no hard feelings?

* Except in instance in the video because... SLC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
So there were no arrests and nobody got shot. That's great. I wish every encounter went like that.

Do you feel there should be any consequences for someone pulling a weapon on someone and detaining them when police determine there is not enough cause to lead to an arrest? Or can anyone pull on anyone and then they can go out for a beer afterwards* because hey... no hard feelings?

The consequence is actually a civil suit, not a criminal suit, false imprisonment, which includes "willful detainment", "Without consent", and "Without authority of law".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also possibly Assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

The consequence is actually a civil suit, not a criminal suit, false imprisonment, which includes "willful detainment", "Without consent", and "Without authority of law".

Then I hope that guy gets the pants sued off him. I'm good with people being armed. But being trained on how to handle a weapon safely does not mean you are trained on how to deescalate confrontation, on how to assess threats, or how to respond to potential threats. It just means you know how to handle a weapon safely. The guy seemed in control of himself and his weapon, but he was nowhere near in control of the situation.

And if nobody was arrested, then there really was no situation to be in control of. Clean him out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wise ol Gnome wrote:

I did hear the armed man say he has a knife in his pocket....I wonder if the man on the ground pulled it out to rob or threaten someone? If so, I salute the "gunman" for stopping him, as well as for his composure.

Oh, to the anti gun folks....maybe criminals would think before attempting to rob, rape or kill someone if there was the possibility they were armed?

Try clicking on the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Conner
United States
Bridgeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course it works!
If your intent is to rabble rouse the riff-raff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

False imprisonment is a felony as well as a tort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Jythier wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Which then raises the question.... if the guy on the ground wasn't arrested, then why wasn't the guy with the gun arrested?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Jythier wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Which then raises the question.... if the guy on the ground wasn't arrested, then why wasn't the guy with the gun arrested?

The linked article says everyone involved declined to press charges. The gun guy was also well known to the police which must be why they didn't shoot him on sight with that weapon being brandished and all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Hmmmm. Guy steals a bike.

The linked article didn't state that, do you have an additional source?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Bike guy should really be glad this was not nighttime in Texas, or knife guy would have been within his rights to kill bike guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Hmmmm. Guy steals a bike. Guy tries to get his bike back at knife point.

Imagine! Neither is inclined to press charges!

Because neither criminal is willing to press charges against the other the guy who stopped the knife wielding criminal is painted as the bad guy.

Got it. Carry on with the mindless prattle.

Unlike you, I am not willing to fill in the blanks to make one side look perfect and the other unabashedly guilty.

Even if we were to assume things are 100% as you described it, it still doesn't answer the question I asked, which is what should happen when guy with a gun detains someone who doesn't deserve detaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
You state as a fact: guy steals a bike.

The article didn't say that. I ask if you have an additional source...

It does say:

Quote:
Heiden said that man had been confronting who he believed to be the bike’s thief when the security guard spotted them.

The guy may have stolen the bike or may not, but at least from this article there is not enough info to state that he was categorically a bike stealer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody was arrested for stealing a bike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Nobody was arrested for stealing a bike.

Nobody was arrested for anything.

Hence.........

Oh nevermind.

And if nobody was arrested for anything, are we to take from it that there is no consequence to be had for pulling a gun and detaining someone who wasn't engaged in an arrestable criminal activity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Wise ol Gnome wrote:

Try clicking on the link.

Um, yea, thanks. I just watched the video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.