Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a long time of waiting for someone to buy it for me already, I've decided to take the plunge and buy Mage Knight, since I'm flush with BDay cash.

The question is whether I should also buy The Lost Legion to go with it, or instead also buy Festival Season to expand Dungeon Lords.

Background:
I've been adding more co-op/semi-co-op games to our stable since we've been enjoying Descent, Sentinels of the Multiverse, and most recently Sentinel Tactics and Betrayal at House on the Hill. We still enjoy pure competition games though too (Galaxy Trucker and Xia ftw).

Dungeon Lords has made the table twice in as many years I think, and we all enjoyed it, but it's been awhile. It has been recently requested and Festival Season sounds fun.

For both games we will always have at least 3 players, more often 4, sometimes 5.

Considerations:

Do either Festival Season or Lost Legion add much time to game length?

Since we will mostly play MK as a co-op and mostly with 3-5 players, is it worth getting and playing without the expansion? How long is a 4-5p game of MK+LL compared to a 4p game of DL+FS?

This will likely be my last game purchase until Xmas, so are we going to be sad if we get MK and not LL? Or is Festival Season going to make us love DL even more and want to play it on the reg?

I know, these are subjective questions, but luckily I'm looking for subjective answers! Thanks for reading this far

Poll
Which Expansion?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Festival Season
57.1% 4
The Lost Legion
42.9% 3
Voters 7
This poll is now closed.   7 answers
Poll created by oddbod
Closes: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is my favorite game, and Lost Legion is an incredible expansion for it, but if you're going to be playing with 4 or 5 players, I'd pick Festival Season instead, purely due to game length. Lost Legion is required to play Mage Knight with 5 (plus the Krang expansion to play it with 6, or co-op with 5), but you would have to be pretty crazy to try that. I enjoy playing it with three, if everyone knows the game, but when I tried once with 4 players (admittedly, some were new), and when we finally decided to quit after 6 hours, we'd almost made it to the half way point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Roehrig
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lost Legion is a must have if you plan to play mage knight solo alot. In my opinion it doesn`t ad much to the multiplayer experience...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.