Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received this and haven't even had a chance to open it yet, and haven't tried to digest the rules or strategies in any detail so please forgive what is a naive question...

Why doesn't this play with 2P?

I bet there's a simple answer.

Edit: Ok now we've opened it, with just the two of us. It seems it would be better with 3+, but it isn't immediately obvious to me that this isn't still a game with 2. Any thoughts anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Becker
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess that with two players you very often find a card being worth 0 points for one player while the other player has to avoid it like hell. I don't think that the game would work in those situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. Although as in most 2p games, one's loss is the other's gain sorta thing... if it's X points to one and Y points to the other than the differential is X+Y, which is what it's actually worth to both players. So it seems to be a matter of managing the relative number of chips to try to get leverage.

Maybe the game was playing us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
Hmmm. Although as in most 2p games, one's loss is the other's gain sorta thing... if it's X points to one and Y points to the other than the differential is X+Y, which is what it's actually worth to both players. So it seems to be a matter of managing the relative number of chips to try to get leverage.

Maybe the game was playing us.

For one thing, with two players you can calculate (at any time) how many chips the other player has in his hand. This is a substantial element to the game with 3+ players.

With 3+ players, you are often attempting to drive the price up of a card you know you want to take - but you aren't sure when the others will run out of chips and thus be forced to take the card you want.

Also, with 3+ players it is difficult to keep track of an exact score of a person (because it is difficult to keep track of how many chips they have in their hand).

With 2 players, this extra information may result in:

a) reduction in tension in the bidding
b) reduction in tension in the endgame scoring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.