Recommend
18 
 Thumb up
 Hide
57 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Shadowstar Corsairs» Forums » General

Subject: Relaunch Progress rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Wolfe
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmb


Because it is now a certainly rather than just a possibility, I'm starting this new thread to let everyone know what's going on with the relaunch for Shadowstar Corsairs. Here's where I am currently:

Notification of the Relaunch will be through all of the following:

- An Update posted to the 1st campaign (automatically notifies all current backers).
- A post to my Facebook page and Twitter accounts.
- An email to everyone on the 0-hr mailing list.
- An email to my customer list from RPGNow.

Links to Facebook, Twitter, and the mailing list are at the bottom of my web page at 0-hr.com

There will also be adds here on BGG, including a permanent front page add (if the spot is available) on the day of launch, which will probably be April 14th or 21st depending on how fast things come together.

To focus on the game and miniatures I am not going to do the Pick 2 option, but I will put those items on sale on my website for people who want a poster or single miniature. My plan is to have the following

Pledge Levels:

- Just joining for updates and bonus download(s)
- The game (including all stretch goals of course)
- The game (+ stretch) plus Kickstarter Exclusive components (a ship, sector, and promo cards)
- An set of injection-molded plastic miniatures exactly like what is in the game
- An set of cast resin miniatures, professionally painted (or not if you prefer)
- Name a planet & name a ship options like before, but with more available.

Big Changes for the 2nd campaign include:

- The funding goal will be less than $50k.
- Painted miniatures (4-color screen painting) in all games will be an early stretch goal
- There will be 6 types of player ship miniatures instead of 4. #7 will be a stretch goal. The exclusive is #8.
- The Cruiser and Alien scout will be an expansion/stretch goal.
- A higher stretch goal will add the Flagship Expansion with 5 large ship miniatures.
- Stretch goals for more sectors, 5 player support, and more cards, will still be there.

There are some other changes (like small ships and stations) that need research and testing but may be there, or be added in during the campaign. I am talking to a new manufacture that can do a minimum print run of 1000 units (whereas he previous had a 2500 unit minimum). This is what allows me to cut the goal in half, but the cost per unit is going to be a little higher - probably $64 instead of $59 for the base game.

The rules and art are still being tweaked based on continuing feedback, but the existing videos by Undead Viking and Dice Tower will still be applicable. There will be other presentation and miscellaneous improvements as well. Thank you all for the suggestions - please keep them coming.
18 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Very exciting! I wish you the best. I'm sorry that the game didn't get funded the first time around, but this version sounds even more awesome!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Dolan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As many as 8 player ship types? Wow! Sign me up.

A question on the release timing, do you have a sense for which days of the week had the highest site traffic? I'm not sure how kickstarter schedules campaigns, but is it possible to set the start & duration so that you get the early/late bump on the highest traffic days? I.e. if weekends have higher traffic, start it at 6:00 am on a Saturday, and run it through 6:00 am on a Monday (so the last 48 hours also happen on a weekend)

I haven't ever started a campaign, sorry if this is an impossible suggestion.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wolfe
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Statistics show that Tuesday is the best day to launch and finish, and that weekends are actually the worst. Seems counter intuitive to me, but there you go. For months, apparently June and July, plus December, are bad.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Caracappa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo, can't wait. I am sure it will be absolutely worth the wait.

Best of luck in the next campaign. With all these tweaks and the strong base built from the first campaign, I can't see how it won't fund next time around.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rodney
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Ryan you have truly listen to the backers and others. I am excited. Flagships! What?! Man you didn't just lowered the goal but you raised the rewards. This should be epic. You have showed your passion for Corsairs and I hope the re-launch brings your dream into reality.

cool goo
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
0 hr wrote:


Because it is now a certainly rather than just a possibility, I'm starting this new thread to let everyone know what's going on with the relaunch for Shadowstar Corsairs. Here's where I am currently:

Notification of the Relaunch will be through all of the following:

- An Update posted to the 1st campaign (automatically notifies all current backers).
- A post to my Facebook page and Twitter accounts.
- An email to everyone on the 0-hr mailing list.
- An email to my customer list from RPGNow.

Links to Facebook, Twitter, and the mailing list are at the bottom of my web page at 0-hr.com

There will also be adds here on BGG, including a permanent front page add (if the spot is available) on the day of launch, which will probably be April 14th or 21st depending on how fast things come together.

To focus on the game and miniatures I am not going to do the Pick 2 option, but I will put those items on sale on my website for people who want a poster or single miniature. My plan is to have the following

Pledge Levels:

- Just joining for updates and bonus download(s)
- The game (including all stretch goals of course)
- The game (+ stretch) plus Kickstarter Exclusive components (a ship, sector, and promo cards)
- An set of injection-molded plastic miniatures exactly like what is in the game
- An set of cast resin miniatures, professionally painted (or not if you prefer)
- Name a planet & name a ship options like before, but with more available.

Big Changes for the 2nd campaign include:

- The funding goal will be less than $50k.
- Painted miniatures (4-color screen painting) in all games will be an early stretch goal
- There will be 6 types of player ship miniatures instead of 4. #7 will be a stretch goal. The exclusive is #8.
- The Cruiser and Alien scout will be an expansion/stretch goal.
- A higher stretch goal will add the Flagship Expansion with 5 large ship miniatures.
- Stretch goals for more sectors, 5 player support, and more cards, will still be there.

There are some other changes (like small ships and stations) that need research and testing but may be there, or be added in during the campaign. I am talking to a new manufacture that can do a minimum print run of 1000 units (whereas he previous had a 2500 unit minimum). This is what allows me to cut the goal in half, but the cost per unit is going to be a little higher - probably $64 instead of $59 for the base game.

The rules and art are still being tweaked based on continuing feedback, but the existing videos by Undead Viking and Dice Tower will still be applicable. There will be other presentation and miscellaneous improvements as well. Thank you all for the suggestions - please keep them coming.



Sounds great! Hope it works out...I'll be there at Launch.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your going to smash it Ryan thumbsup
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
Good luck! I plan on being there in April!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzi R
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that RPGNow says, "To celebrate the launch of my board game, featuring ships from Future Armada & digital rewards fullfilled by DriveThru/RPGNow, everything is half off for the duration of the funding campaign!" Maybe you could add the name of the game/Kickstarter to make it easier for people to find. I search for your name every two to four weeks just so I don't miss one of your starship products (which should be unnecessary now that I've joined your newsletter). However, to attract people who are new to your work, putting Shadowstar Corsairs in there could make it more likely for them to check it out.

I'll be there in April to pledge!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wolfe
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
RPGNow.com has rules against driving traffic to offsite URLs, that's why the add banner is vague. Though I did go out of my way to include RPGNow content as part of the campaign reward so that I could mention the Kickstarter in a mass mail to previous customers.

I would think that people who liked the Armada issues would have a good chance of liking the board game - though it's always hard to judge how much boardgame <-> RPG crossover there will be. I like both, so I figure most gamers do



[shamelessplug]

Now that I think of it, if you like the look of the board game and happen to need some deckplans for a sci-fi role playing game, check out the fleet at: http://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/606/0-hr-art--technology

[/shamelessplug]
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Dolan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
0 hr wrote:
Statistics show that Tuesday is the best day to launch and finish, and that weekends are actually the worst. Seems counter intuitive to me, but there you go. For months, apparently June and July, plus December, are bad.


... [the peanut gallery realizes Ryan has done all his homework plus the extra credit and quietly sits down. . . A slow clap breaks out.]
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzi R
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
0 hr wrote:
RPGNow.com has rules against driving traffic to offsite URLs, that's why the add banner is vague. Though I did go out of my way to include RPGNow content as part of the campaign reward so that I could mention the Kickstarter in a mass mail to previous customers.

I would think that people who liked the Armada issues would have a good chance of liking the board game - though it's always hard to judge how much boardgame <-> RPG crossover there will be. I like both, so I figure most gamers do



[shamelessplug]

Now that I think of it, if you like the look of the board game and happen to need some deckplans for a sci-fi role playing game, check out the fleet at: http://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/606/0-hr-art--technology

[/shamelessplug]


If I hadn't already purchased all of them plus the KS posters, I'd be there now!

Too bad about RPGNow's rules, though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Coleman
United Kingdom
Hampton
Middlesex
flag msg tools
But what about the solid gold minis and diamond encrusted board tile stretch goals!! Disappointed.

But seriously new campaign sounds great and I'm sure it'll easily fund this time round.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wolfe
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
boxjuggler wrote:
But what about the solid gold minis and diamond encrusted board tile stretch goals!!)


Shapeways.com will 3D print a 14k Gold version of a miniature for $4,272.92 (wholesale). I suppose I could make that an "Add On", though I'd recommend the platinum version for $12,416.85 if you really want to impress the ladies.



17 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
0 hr wrote:
boxjuggler wrote:
But what about the solid gold minis and diamond encrusted board tile stretch goals!!)


Shapeways.com will 3D print a 14k Gold version of a miniature for $4,272.92 (wholesale). I suppose I could make that an "Add On", though I'd recommend the platinum version for $12,416.85 if you really want to impress the ladies.



Why settle? I'll just get both!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
In gold, it looks very Naboo-ish.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Robertson
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
One suggestion: if you do make a Kickstarter exclusive, make sure that you allow yourself the option to sell it later through other outlets such as cons and BGG. Give the Kickstarter guys a generous window of exclusivity, but after about six months or so, get the content more available. There are many products which I am never going to buy just because I missed the KS exclusives. I've also talked with creators who are stuck with a room full of stuff that they can NEVER make money from.

Just my two cents.

Craig (still working on fulfillment from our KickStarter)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
0 hr wrote:
boxjuggler wrote:
But what about the solid gold minis and diamond encrusted board tile stretch goals!!)


Shapeways.com will 3D print a 14k Gold version of a miniature for $4,272.92 (wholesale). I suppose I could make that an "Add On", though I'd recommend the platinum version for $12,416.85 if you really want to impress the ladies.




C3PO's second cousin twice-removed?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that I really love the way this new campaign is shaping up. The price point feels good, and I think the idea of painted ships (as in Xia) as an early stretch goal is a great move.

Color me excited, and be assured that you will have my backing on Day 1!

Looking forward to seeing this game succeed the way it should have first go-round. And at least now, it looks to be even bigger and better!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Fitzgerald
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
designer
I'll be in my bunk... at moesgametable.com
badge
Time for some thrilling heroics
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the unobtainium version? ;)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, I've supported this game from almost day 1. Can't wait to get my copy. This relaunch will succeed for sure!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Shapeways.com will 3D print a 14k Gold version of a miniature for $4,272.92 (wholesale).

How much is the whole set to replace the ones in the box?

Quote:
There are many products which I am never going to buy just because I missed the KS exclusives.

This is backwards IMO. There are too many people that either remain "on the fence" and never commit, and worse, those people that think they're going to wait until after the game exists and get it cheaper somewhere else (which is often quite possible).

Two of the reasons I bought the full KS exclusive version of Xia revolve around the exclusivity of it. For starters it was promised that the only way to get the exclusive content was to pledge the KS. Second that the game itself wouldn't go on market for a duration after the KS, so that he could control the price of the game, and prevent people that didn't help fund the game, or help to reach the stretch goals, from getting a copy of the game cheaper than backers did.

I'm all for a creator selling, or even better awarding, exclusive content. Especially at conventions, or other face to face type of occasions. I don't like the idea of "6 month exclusive" cause that isn't exclusive. If something goes on sale for general consumption... it dilutes what made it special to begin with.

It's important that such exclusives aren't important to the game (of course). Not just in the mechanical sense, but if a game is rated a 6, but rated an 8 with the exclusive content... that's a problem. Like in Xia, having the extra missions is cool, but not game changing, and a lot of people can live without the Sellsword; 1 in 3 games he doesn't even get activated at my table, but it's nice to have that stuff.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we assume, it will be the 1st Tuesday in April, which would be the 7th?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rodney
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He said about the middle of April I believe. Ryan has been working the relaunch for sometime but let us be patient and wait. He will reach out to us and we will go to him or the Kickstarter. Even thought we don't know the exact time it will be sooner than we think.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.