King of New York» Forums » Rules

Subject: Card questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Some of the cards have caused questions to arise, I couldn't' find answers in the forum, so here they are:

1.Carapace:
Card says " ...You can discard this card to heal 1 damage for each Carapace token on it"
when can a player discard the card to gain health per token?
Can he do so only on his turn or on other players' turns as well?
And if only on his turn, is there a specific time during the turn?

2.Fury:
The card says to add an ENERGY and Destruction dice to the results if you are in a borough with at least 3 units.
Does that mean that the 3 units have to be there when the turn starts, or can the player destroy a building (add a unit) and gain the bonus.
Basically when do we check to see if there are 3 units

3.New york Marathon:
the card says: "When this card is available for purchase, Monsters must pay 2 Energy to move (including fleeing form Manhattan), unless movement is obligatory."
Does this mean that if a player does not have at least 2 energy he cannot move (including fleeing)?

4.Phoenix Blood:
Card says " Gain 1 Energy each time you take damage"
Does this include damage taken from units and cards? Or only other players' attacks.

5.Air Force 1:
Card says +4Stars and All Units attack all Monsters in their Boroughs.
I am assuming this includes yourself, right?

I know there are a bunch of questions and some might be silly, I would appreciate answers tho.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You have to play the card on your turn. You'd play it after you roll the dice but before you purchase cards as purchasing cards ends your turn.

2. Turn order is roll the dice first so if there aren't 3 units in the borough when you roll the dice this card wouldn't come into effect.

3. Correct you can't flee if you don't have at least 2 energy. Manditory movement would be the result of a card effect or if there were 2 people in Manhattan because of player count and someone died and the player count dropped so a monster gets ejected from Manhattan. Not when it comes down to a choice.

4. Yes each time you take damage. There are two types take damage or attacked. Take damage is any damage attacked is specifically when attacked.

5. Correct all monsters are attacked including yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woods
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jooice wrote:
Hello,

Some of the cards have caused questions to arise, I couldn't' find answers in the forum, so here they are:

1.Carapace:
Card says " ...You can discard this card to heal 1 damage for each Carapace token on it"
when can a player discard the card to gain health per token?
Can he do so only on his turn or on other players' turns as well?
And if only on his turn, is there a specific time during the turn?

Unless specified otherwise, it can be anytime.

Quote:

2.Fury:
The card says to add an ENERGY and Destruction dice to the results if you are in a borough with at least 3 units.
Does that mean that the 3 units have to be there when the turn starts, or can the player destroy a building (add a unit) and gain the bonus.
Basically when do we check to see if there are 3 units

The units have to be there when you go to resolve your dice.
So you need 3 units before you start rolling.

Quote:
3.New york Marathon:
the card says: "When this card is available for purchase, Monsters must pay 2 Energy to move (including fleeing form Manhattan), unless movement is obligatory."
Does this mean that if a player does not have at least 2 energy he cannot move (including fleeing)?

Correct. The only mandatory move I can think of is moving into Manhattan. Though there may be cards that force a mandatory move that I've forgotten.

Quote:
4.Phoenix Blood:
Does this include damage taken from units and cards? Or only other players' attacks.

It says "damage" not "attacks", so any damage you take will trigger the card.

Quote:
5.Air Force 1:
Card says +4Stars and All Units attack all Monsters in their Boroughs.
I am assuming this includes yourself, right?

Of course. It says "all Monsters".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woods
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
1. You have to play the card on your turn. You'd play it after you roll the dice but before you purchase cards as purchasing cards ends your turn.

What makes you think it has to be on your turn? There's no text specifying that. I may want to discard it on another players turn before they resolve the dice if I see they're saving claws and it might kill me.

All it says is to "discard this card for health". I think you can do this at any time. If they wanted to restrict it to your turn, it would be a simple matter of "on your turn, you can discard this card".

Unless there is something on the card that I'm missing. I don't have it in front of me and the full text wasn't posted, so maybe there's something there that I'm missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just going through the rules and that card. You can play it whenever you want, not just on your turn. I was thinking of another common question from KoT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tubesteak wrote:

Quote:
4.Phoenix Blood:

It says "damage" not "attacks", so any damage you take will trigger the card.

So if a player gets damage from attacks and units on the same turn, would he get 2 energy? I would think so, but just checking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes as long as the sources of damage happen at different times you gain energy each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:

2. Turn order is roll the dice first so if there aren't 3 units in the borough when you roll the dice this card wouldn't come into effect.

3. Correct you can't flee if you don't have at least 2 energy. Manditory movement would be the result of a card effect or if there were 2 people in Manhattan because of player count and someone died and the player count dropped so a monster gets ejected from Manhattan. Not when it comes down to a choice.

4. Yes each time you take damage. There are two types take damage or attacked. Take damage is any damage attacked is specifically when attacked.

5. Correct all monsters are attacked including yourself.

Agreed on everything but point 1. Mandatory movement also includes moving into Manhattan if there's no monster there, and moving "deeper" into Manhattan when you start your turn there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.