Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Mackie
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had to be done. Outrageous lite fun when you have six players who aren’t ready to call it a night, even when it’s already technically nudging Monday morning.
House rules included: Check the bottom card on your stack for a 6 and reshuffle if necessary; use a 1 card to whip a player immediately in front and swap places; no changing lanes in the spaces immediately in front of a dividing wall; and (in one case) start one space behind the start line. When I crashed out in the first race there was some discussion of introducing a trailing corpse obstruction rule, but we didn’t end up implementing this. Perhaps next time.

Our first race was always going to be a tight one, with very little margin for card space wastage. I took an early and very comfortable lead, but with two 6s in the hand was living on borrowed time. The inevitable third 6 appeared, and I was the first to crash out. Another chunk of the race later, and Pat fell victim to the same cruelty of fate. In the lead with 6s in the hand is like playing Russian Roulette. Seven spaces from the finish line and Alex was the next to spin up the loaded chamber. Brad managed to get within one space of the line before his horse collapsed with exhaustion, as did Richard’s. Finally, Marcus’ stopped short just another one space back. Caesar and his people were therefore witness to one of the greatest anticlimatic blood spectacles in recent history. Very funny stuff.

So we had to play again, this time on a more forgiving track. Richard finessed the win, to be followed by Pat, and everyone made it home safe and sound. But Caesar was displeased. "Boring. Race again, my charioteers, and this time show me some blood!" he cried.
So the third race was underway on a more brutal track. Little margin for error, and much whipping ensued – just what Caesar ordered. Brad secured the pennant, with plenty of juice left in the tank. I was the first to collapse, 4 spaces short of the finish line, having been forced too many times to take outside lanes. Tragically, Richard too fell short of the line, by a single space. Pat was the last to die, also 4 spaces short, allowing Alex and Marcus to survive for another race…

Game 1: 26 minutes (no-one finished)
Game 2: 19 minutes. Everyone finished - Richard, Pat, Al, Marcus, Paul, Brad.
Game 3: 19 minutes also. Brad wins, then Alex, then Marcus (I think).

(Originally posted on www.themineshaftgap.com.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.