Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Background:
As discussed over here, there is some interest in a region die that is more heavily weighted towards sending the sandstorm in one direction over the other. This should help avoid games where the sandstorm stays on one side of the planet for most of the game.

The default Region Die includes these faces:
1W / 2W / 3W / 4E / 5E / 6E

Variant:
I propose a variant region die with these faces:
1E / 2W / 3E / 4E / 5W / 6E

I've posted a PDF to the file section that includes the revised set of dice. [LINK]

Design Considerations:
In a perfect world (or a computer game) I would use an 18 sided region die. 3 faces for each region number, and of those faces, 1 face would say W and 2 would say E.

I chose east as the main direction purely because of the way I'm used to weather patterns moving where I live (the northern hemisphere of earth). It could be argued that west would be better since that would be in increasing order of region number, which might be more intuitive.

I've chosen faces 5 and 2 for the minor direction because they are the two numbers that are non adjacent both on the physical die and the game board.

It is possible that a 4/2 weighting is not severe enough to have the desired effect. However, I suspect a 5/1 split would leave not enough options available for someone who really wants to make storm move backwards on his turn.

EDIT: Added link to the PDF file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Burns
United States
Mantua
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MyNameIsFourteen wrote:
Background:
...However, I suspect a 5/1 split would leave not enough options available for someone who really wants to make storm move backwards on his turn.

what about a 4/1/1 split. E/W/No movement? (haven't played yet so not sure how much this effects.)

Edit
Or E/W/Either direction which represents weather control from the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fewwdragon wrote:
MyNameIsFourteen wrote:
Background:
...However, I suspect a 5/1 split would leave not enough options available for someone who really wants to make storm move backwards on his turn.

what about a 4/1/1 split. E/W/No movement? (haven't played yet so not sure how much this effects.)

Edit
Or E/W/Either direction which represents weather control from the book.

The spice harvest die already has some faces that say to skip the storm movement phase this turn, and I don't want to make the storm move less often. I think letting the player choose e/w is probably too drastic, given that they already have some control via the reroll mechanic. I would consider a more significant variant only if several plays with the 4/2 split show that it isn't enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nygaard
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't finished building my copy yet, and trying this variant was a low priority for me. But now that someone else has done the work for me I'd love to make an extra storm dice and try this out!

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Astakhov
msg tools
Mike, I reworked your version using vector images and vertical symbol alignment from the latest rules. Hope, it'd be useful to someone.

Didn't have enough time to vectorize all the file (any volunteers?).

You can find it here https://cloud.mail.ru/public/921c4b886b65/Dune_Alternate_Dic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wirdjos wrote:
Mike, I reworked your version using vector images and vertical symbol alignment from the latest rules. Hope, it'd be useful to someone

It's useful to me just for the information that the latest rules contain separable vector images. If I had realized that I would have done it that way in the first place! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about making the storm more like the orginal Dune board game and have it move only East, but by a variable amount?
So replace your West moves with moving 2 spaces East instead. That would make the storm move around the board more quickly. Sectors moved over would not be locked, but would lose 1 unit in each non-Fremen faction if exposed (open region marked X without Fortifications).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.