Subject: Calif. Ballot Initiative To Kill Gays And Lesbians rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2015/03/24/395070728...

Now maybe you're thinking there's no way such a blatantly illegal measure would ever be approved by California voters.

But here's the rub: We might get a chance to find out, because it appears that there's no legal way for state officials to stop the author of this proposal from collecting enough voter signatures to put it on the ballot.

Just plain nuts

I saw first hand the downside of ballot initiatives when I lived in Colorado. There was always some crackpot thing on the ballot that we voters had to be sure and vote down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a thread on this, and I thought incitement to kill was illegal, if this is not then I suggest a counter law making it so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to think that the ability to make ballot initiatives is worth the downsides. Vigilance is the price of liberty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
When the measure is defeated, make it an annual holiday for gay people. Exchange gifts of ready to eat foods, recount the story, and then everybody gets drunk at a feast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there cake involved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:
I tend to think that the ability to make ballot initiatives is worth the downsides. Vigilance is the price of liberty.

Jeremy thumbed this post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
twomillionbucks wrote:

Yeah, I suppose so. Although if truly crazy things make it onto the ballot, it probably means you should raise the number of required signatures to place things there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:
twomillionbucks wrote:

Jeremy thumbed this post.

But so did I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:

Somebody wise said that someplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Hmm. Is trolling lefties worth $200?

That really isn't the question.

Just Sayin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:

I absolutely loathed ballot initiatives when we lived in CA. There were too many of them and they tended to substitute for elected officials doing their damned jobs. It also tended to reflect mob mentalities and deep pockets (remember, CA passed a ballot initiative outlawing gay marriage).

I'm all for grassroots, but I don't think CA has this particular process right. Too easy to get them on the ballot, too easy to pass, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Is there cake involved?

Often!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
twomillionbucks wrote:

I absolutely loathed ballot initiatives when we lived in CA. There were too many of them and they tended to substitute for elected officials doing their damned jobs. It also tended to reflect mob mentalities and deep pockets (remember, CA passed a ballot initiative outlawing gay marriage).

I'm all for grassroots, but I don't think CA has this particular process right. Too easy to get them on the ballot, too easy to pass, etc.

Obviously, the people are also a branch of government and need checks and balances as well. That's easy to forget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
twomillionbucks wrote:

According to the article it takes over a million dollars on average to actually get the over 365,888 signatures needed to get something on the actual ballot... so I don't think that makes things too easy from a "for the people, by the people" kind of government.

So I support initiatives as a concept.

This jackass is really just being a jackass to make news. This isn't likely to ever actually get on the ballot, thankfully. And by giving him the press he wants he has accomplished his goals of being a hate filled jackass and causing problems.

So thanks idiotic news outlets... good job being tools for idiotic evil people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes Christians look bad, even though we know that we're not agreeing with this.

And again, why not a Adulterer suppression law? Why not a fornicator suppression law? Why focusing on this particular sin that he's not tempted by, but leaving alone the sins he's tempted by?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty ridiculous, what would the extreme left wing version of this be? Abortion until the age of 18? Kill mass polluters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
Pretty ridiculous, what would the extreme left wing version of this be? Abortion until the age of 18? Kill mass polluters?
Kill people who propose these stupid laws?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Conner
United States
Bridgeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And who here thinks something so ridiculous will actually pass?
*bored face*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stigmatador wrote:
And who here thinks something so ridiculous will actually pass?
*bored face*
In America...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Jythier wrote:
Makes Christians look bad, even though we know that we're not agreeing with this.

And again, why not a Adulterer suppression law? Why not a fornicator suppression law? Why focusing on this particular sin that he's not tempted by, but leaving alone the sins he's tempted by?

Maybe he came to some gay guy's house for game night and the guy didn't tell him beforehand.

That would do it for most people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Hmm. Is trolling lefties worth $200?

That really isn't the question.

Just Sayin...

I think it is. This thing has no chance of success and no chance of actually becoming law but a 100% chance of lefties getting their collective panties in a bunch about it.
Yes I mean what kind of arseholes get in a lather over people saying they what them dead?

I mean it's not as if it's a video posted on youtbe or anything serious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
When the measure is defeated, make it an annual holiday for gay people. Exchange gifts of ready to eat foods, recount the story, and then everybody gets drunk at a feast.

They're gay, not Jewish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scary part is that Californians like to point out that they are trendsetters leading the way into the future.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
twomillionbucks wrote:

It has been disastrous for CA. Costly public services are routinely voted in, while the tax hikes necessary to pay for them are voted down. If I had a vote, sure, I'd want more stuff for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
perfalbion wrote:
twomillionbucks wrote:

It has been disastrous for CA. Costly public services are routinely voted in, while the tax hikes necessary to pay for them are voted down. If I had a vote, sure, I'd want more stuff for free.

So true. It shocks me every year just how many bonds pass. I just vote no on everything. Look at the mess the state is in over high speed rail. It's costing 10x as much as the voters approved and going to take decades longer. Elon Musk will probably build a hyperloop system before the project breaks ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.