Joe Cholewa

Illinois
msg tools
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to pick up a solitaire war game. I've tried to do some research, looking through past threads, lists, etc. I've got some ideas, but I'm interested in what others have to say.

My only constraints are that the game is in print and has nothing to do with World War II or later. I was looking at The Great Battles of Alexander, Guilford, or Under the Lily Banners. Complexity isn't a concern, because I won't be needing to goad anyone into playing!

So what do you think of my choices? Would you suggest something else?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not my favorite period of time, but I am always on the lookout for solitaire wargames or wargames that play well solitaire, so I'll jump in.

I have heard that Bonaparte at Marengo has good solitaire rules and that it is and excellent game, so check it out if it fits you.

One of my most played games solitaire is A House Divided, the Phalanx edition is beautiful and I think it plays pretty well as the Grey try to find gaps in the Blue's distribution as the Blue's just advance south.

I've also played Command and Colors: Ancient solitaire, but I wouldn't recommend it for solitaire playing, as there are too many options and too many bluffing (with cards, and with withdrawals) opportunities that get "lost in translation" when played solitaire.

Thinking about it there are no solitaire (designed for solitaire) wargames pre-wwii that I am aware of (either in print or out of print), so if you hear of one please let me know (I have to find something in which occupy my time before Fields of Fire finally reaches the P500).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Akinde
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Republic of Rome plays very well solitaire, IMO. But obviously, it is not very easy to get hold of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cook
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One game you might look at is 'Men of Iron'- volume 1 by GMT games. I don't have it yet but I hear it is good for solo play. It is also still in print, unlike most of the popular solo wargames. GMT also makes a game called Borodino which might be good.

I enjoy Memoir '44 solo, but I wouldn't really call it a wargame.

There are some oop games that are supposed to be good as well: Napoleon at Leipzig, Mosby's Raiders, and SPQR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT games give all their games a "Solitiaire rating". No special rules though, I guess you play both sides...

Here I Stand and Twilight Struggle are '2'- low. For the People is a '6'- highish. Scale runs from 1-9. I have played all three games solitaire and I think For the People is a bit better, knowing the other person's hand doesn't spoil the game much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guilford is a Revolutionary War game that I found pretty fun to play solitaire, anything in that series from GMT would probably be a good choice. In fact, as someone else mentioned, look at GMT's website. Many of their games play pretty well solitaire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cholewa

Illinois
msg tools
Thanks for the quick reply, checking out GMT's site helped a lot (But.. so many!)

I thought I would pick Guilford and one other; I'm tossed up between Great Battles of Alexander or Men of Iron. Which do you prefer? I'm kind of tossed up theme-wise; they both interest me greatly.

Thanks again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GBoH is much more complex than Men of Iron, and in my opinion, a better game with a more interesting topic. Then again, I'm a huge fan of Alexander the Great.

One example of why I like GBoH- the units are more differentiated, and many carry historical unit designations. Read a short book on Alexander's campaigns to get to know his elite units and you'll enjoy the game much more. (The game rules include a pretty good bibliography, and your local bookstore will have at least a half-dozen in stock.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.