Subject: Which do I open: Bohnanza or Pick Picknic? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: kids [+] children [+] [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll soon be getting an order delivered from TH containing Bohnanza and Pick Picknic. I got both with the intention of including our 6YO daughter in more of our gaming (her choices are limited with our current collection).

I want to play one right away, and set the other one aside as a stocking stuffer for Christmas.

My question is: will our family of four (me, wife, 6YO, 10YO) have more fun with one than the other in the next month or so? Does one play better with 2 than 4? Or is there really no difference - and we'll have a blast either way? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza is actually a bit more complex that simply a filler, so at the moment I would suggest Pick Picknic. It plays very well for kids, we have friends with it, (kids aged 7 and 4(?)) and the kids really enjoy it.
You 10 year old will enjoy Bohnanza, but I think maybe a 6 year old may find it a bit tough, but chuck her in at the deep end and she'll be fine.

I'm not sure either play well with two though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i would keep Pick Picknic and get them used to playing, by the time x-mas rolls around they will be ready for bohnanza. i found that bohnanza is a much better game and kids in our 4th grade class are finally starting to understand some of the strategy involved.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/16948

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Open and play Pick Picknic. Enjoy.

Make sure you get a card holder before you try to play Bohnanza with your six year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Huddleston
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above posts. For a 6 yo, I would choose Pick Picknic first. It plays faster in a shorter time frame, and is more simple than Bohnanza. My 6 yo loves Pick Picknic but we haven't introduced Bohnanza to him yet. Although my 8 yo daughter has been playing Bohnanza for close to a year now and is one of her favorite games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Pick Picknic is better for young children.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.