Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Jacobson

Omaha
Nebraska - NE
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know. The only thing similar about these two is the worker placement mechanic. But I'm trying to decide between the two. Agricola may be more appealing to my wife who is not the only person I game with, but certainly she is a frequent participant. Then there is the theme of MP which I love. Ialso like the idea of different kinds of workers. Supposedly you can play one player Agricola so that's a bonus. Any thoughts to sway me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Agricola is the more "epic" game of the two. If you love games with lots of nice components and a nice variety of cards, then Agricola is the game for you. Manhattan Project is a little easier to get your head around and doesn't look as impressive sitting on the table. If I had to choose one, it would be Agricola (but I don't think you can go wrong with either game). I have played the solitaire variant of Agricola as much or more than I have played the multi-player version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agricola by a long shot. A great number of people will tell you to look at Caverna instead as it is Agricola 2.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jacobson

Omaha
Nebraska - NE
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my only problem with that is it's twice the price as well. Is Caverna worth it when I could buy afford two games art it's price point instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is very fun to solo and there is endless variety with the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mb
Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll swim against the current. Manhattan Project. Or since we're talking about Agricola, Monopoly. ABA is my motto ("Anything But Agricola").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tammy Smith
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to go with Manhattan Project too. We own both, and have played several games of each, but given the choice between the two, I would choose MP. I like the theme better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that Agricola has a lot more plays in it than Manhattan Project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are great games. That being said- Manhattan project if you want to have fun, Agricola if you want to agonize over how to feed your family.

I'll speak up for those that get TMP to the table much more often. My wife prefers it as well- probably because she can blow my stuff up and spy on me.

Personally, I like racing a lot better than fixed turn mechanics. And in Worker placement, I like actions that get more expensive rather than getting completely blocked.

Come to think of it, you should check out Keyflower, my favorite game of the type. probably TMP #2 and Agric #3, tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Gunnell
United States
Lilburn
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy my Agricola + Farmers of the Moor with Animeeples on the market....

(shameless plug, I know)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rayne Smith
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely recommend going for Manhattan Project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the minority here, I much prefer The Manhattan Project to Agricola.

For me, and I repeat, FOR ME, Agricola is a tediously punishing exercise in forcing you to do a bit of every thing. DON'T specialize, DON'T try a different strategy and DON'T forget to feed your meeples or you will surely loose. The only choice I have is what order I'll do things in.

Someone mentioned Agricola and Epic in the same sentence, I fail to see what is Epic about subsistence (if not survival) farming. For me, Epic goes much more in hand with an Arms Race to Nuclear Weapons!

MP may not be politically correct but it's a load of fun, yes, you'll still need to have a mix of engineers and scientists, you can't go all one or the other and hope to win but, there's a lot more freedom into what strategy to go for.

Sorry if my post sounded too rantish
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not tried the physical versions, but I own MP on Android and Agricola on iPad...

MP is fun with lots of options and ways to go and I may well pick up the physical version some day.
Agricola is the complete opposite and I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. It feels too much like hard work and unless you play a certain way you're going to fail.

All in my humble opinion of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ollie Hunt
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gohawks wrote:
I know. The only thing similar about these two is the worker placement mechanic. But I'm trying to decide between the two. Agricola may be more appealing to my wife who is not the only person I game with, but certainly she is a frequent participant. Then there is the theme of MP which I love. Ialso like the idea of different kinds of workers. Supposedly you can play one player Agricola so that's a bonus. Any thoughts to sway me?

Looking at the games you already own, Agricola would fill more of a gap. You seem to have a couple of cooperative games and some lighter competitive games. Agricola would add a weighty feather to your bow.

Whether or not there is a weighty game that's better for you than Agricola is something you'd have to decide for yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.