BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Would you kill one person to save three? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure most of you have heard the trolly question... for those of you who haven't, here it is:

---

There is a runaway trolley barreling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are three people tied up and unable to move. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. However, you notice that there is one person on the side track. You have two options:

(1) Do nothing, and the trolley kills the three people on the main track.

(2) Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill one person.

Which choice do you go with?

---

Poll
Do you activate the lever to save three (killing one), or allow the trolly to kill the three people.
Do nothing (the three people will die).
Activate the lever (one person will die as a result).
      58 answers
Poll created by BimmyJim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
I'm sure most of you have heard the trolly question... for those of you who haven't, here it is:

---

There is a runaway trolley barreling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are three people tied up and unable to move. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. However, you notice that there is one person on the side track. You have two options:

(1) Do nothing, and the trolley kills the three people on the main track.

(2) Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill one person.

Which choice do you go with?

---

Poll
Do you activate the lever to save three (killing one), or allow the trolly to kill the three people.
Do nothing (the three people will die).
Activate the lever (one person will die as a result).
      58 answers
Poll created by BimmyJim

I'm Batman. No one dies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens when you pull the finger?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No idea what I would do, I suppose saving more is better, but I the choice would haunt me.

I do find it hard to imagine these are the only choices though, do the exercise seems rather artificial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pull the lever. You didn't say the lone person on the side track was tied up or otherwise incapacitated, therefore you should be able to shout out a warning to that person.

Now if it's one person tied to the tracks, and three with earbuds staring into their i phones...

edit: Yeah, I'd still go for the one over the three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to remember the version I heard was that the single person was someone who you knew/ had some value to you and the three were strangers.

Either way, it is a trolly question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
No options to kill them all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Is my Mother-In-Law one of these people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
I'd let the trolley run over the three and then shoot the other one so I didn't feel bad.

It wouldn't be nice to exclude someone and all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So much depends. For example, do I get to pick which people are in which situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pull the lever becasue the single person is not tied up and has a chance to live while the 3 you said were tied up. I am merely playing the odds. if the 1 was tied up and the rest were not, then I don't pull the lever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would intend to pull the lever but quite possibly not have the reaction time to accomplish the task depending on how close the train is (presumably very, otherwise the idiots would just get off the track). It's clearly the best option unless you're only thinking about reducing your own guilt over killing someone or hold some fringe view like "everyone must die" or "levers are icky."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
Pull the lever half way, causing the trolley to derail, and killing everyone onboard.
No mention of passengers, or even what kind of trolley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
TROL...Eyyy!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've been Ninja'd !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
If the one guy's named Lazarus, I'm pulling it on odds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
You've been Ninja'd !!
Who?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

I do find it hard to imagine these are the only choices though, do the exercise seems rather artificial.

Wrong, contrarian.

cooler king wrote:
Pull the lever. You didn't say the lone person on the side track was tied up or otherwise incapacitated, therefore you should be able to shout out a warning to that person.

Wrong.

jeremycobert wrote:
I pull the lever becasue the single person is not tied up and has a chance to live while the 3 you said were tied up.

Wrong.

The Message wrote:
I would intend to pull the lever but quite possibly not have the reaction time to accomplish the task depending on how close the train is (presumably very, otherwise the idiots would just get off the track).

Wrong, navel-gazing special snowflake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Wrong, contrarian.

cooler king wrote:

Wrong.

jeremycobert wrote:
I pull the lever becasue the single person is not tied up and has a chance to live while the 3 you said were tied up.

Wrong.

The Message wrote:
I would intend to pull the lever but quite possibly not have the reaction time to accomplish the task depending on how close the train is (presumably very, otherwise the idiots would just get off the track).

So how many passengers are on the trolley, can it be derailed?

To be wrong answers there has to be a right answer, so what is the right answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't touch the lever and, if possible, leave the trainyard, because it looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Wrong, contrarian.

cooler king wrote:

Wrong.

jeremycobert wrote:

Wrong.

The Message wrote:

I was almost afraid the community would have changed too much since my last break so it's comforting to see you're still a douchebag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Activate lever. Obviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Questions like this are flawed because real life never presents us with a choice this stark. Kirk was correct; there is never a situation where all options are morally wrong.

As to the general question of if it's okay to kill one person to save others, the answer is almost always no. That said, there is a difference between trying to save three people and trying to kill one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Message wrote:

I was almost afraid the community would have changed too much since my last break so it's comforting to see you're still a douchebag.

Are you saying you weren't around for most of the time I wasn't around? What bad luck for both of us.

Simple polls call for simple responses, not hearing about your slow reflexes, Snowflake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.