Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Friends, as fate would have it this turned out to be our last session of the Grand Campaign. Full explanation will be given below.

The seventh session began with the coming of spring, or so we thought. The Wehrmacht had been looking forward to a spring offensive, starting early May, but mother nature intervened with heavy rains and severe mud all over central and northern Russia. Not much action took place during the first turn of May. The soviet defenses on the northern side of the northern Volga river bend were improved and the Soviet offensive in northern Finland advanced 30 miles southward. The Finnish front had been severely neglected by the German player and we felt that it was time to up the ante a bit in that sector. Feeling quite secure that no action would take place outside Leningrad, we sent two armored corps from that area, via rail, to the Finnish front AND scheduled two airdrops outside Helsinki to take place early June. The objective of the airdrop would be to cut supply to the south and east fronts of the Finnish army.

We had come to realise that the only way to stop the imminient onslaught of the German panzers would be to divert their attentions. The Moscow area had been turned into a single huge fortification, with sveral hundered of thousands of men stationed there. We figured that the Germans probably wouldn't crash headlong into the Moscow front, but instead try to surround the city and cut off supplies. My companion Fredrik had strengthened the northern banks of the Volga to the best of his ability and I had started to assemble an armored/mechanized strike force between Bryansk and Gomel, well hidden in forest areas. The German frontline was between 20-30 miles north of the Soviet strike force. In order to protect the railroad leading to the Moscow area, the Germans had opted to maintain their frontline on the southern side of the northern Dnepr river bend, just south of Smolensk.
This in combination with the development in Finland would give the German player something to think about.

The second half of May welcomed the sun and the Wehrmacht unleashed its armored spearhead along with every single aircraft they could muster, with its sights set on reclaiming their lost bridgehead on the northern banks of the Volga. Our soldiers fought bravely, but were no match for the Wehrmacht. A bridgehead was eastablished and the German advance troops continued northwest another 30 miles during the exploitation phase. Unlike the Germans, who were fully deployed along their frontlines, we had some depth in our defenses which meant that although the situation was serious, it could in no way be considered a catastrophe.

My friend Fredrik had leave the session early so I took over his duties as commander of the Moscow and northern fronts. My first move was to strengthen the defenses around the German bridgehead, by diverting forces from Moscow there. The Germans might be unstopable, but they would have to work hard to move forward. I then started thinking about where to create the diversion. I started with the Finnish front.

The newly arrived armor had now reached the frontline and engaged the Germans there. A breach in the Axis defenses would mean that the road to Helsinki would lay open. At the same time I released troops from Leningrad to attack the Finns north of the town, thus applying serious pressure to entire the Finland.
These operations were partially successful. The Leningrad offensive pushed back the Finns and in the northern sector three infanrty corps broke through the defenses, the armor however was left behind.

The piece de la resistance however was to be found further south. I decided to gamble and go for broke in the Bryansk sector. I charged forward with every armored and mechanized corps in the area, plus several more from the southwestern Moscow area. Twelve corps under the command of General Zhukov against six strong German infantry corps. The offensive took place almost without any air support, as both the Luftwaffe and the Soviet air force was deployed north of Moscow. The Germans thought I would strike against the bridgehead.

The counter offensive was a 100% success. All six German corps were annihilated and a 180 mile wide gap in the German front was created. My troops stormed across the Dnepr and threatened to envelop over a million Germans.

Although the situation could have been saved, by rushing backwards with the German army, the German high command decided to capitualte. This was quite premature, as they could have saved the situation (although they probably never would have won the game in the end) and we could have continued to play an exciting game for at least another year or so. However, we respected their request but decided that for our next game we'll play regardless.

Ooops... Internet cafe time out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I enjoyed these session reports a lot. Great job! Thumbs Up! (I don't know how to insert the litte thumbs up, but I'll give your report 1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
...time ran out at the internet cafe.

It's been fun writing these session reports, knowing that people read and appreciate them. I wish the game would have continued. The German setback was hard but not impossible to save. Too bad they didn't put up a fight. For our next games, we'll definitely set a "minimum number of turns" or something like that. It's no use playing monster games like this if one side capitulates if they feel they don't have a chance a achieving an overwhelming victory...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cowards - Im on the next plane to Sweden. I'll shoot a few of the German commanders/players. That will stiffen their resolve. I was so looking forward to these session reports, now what will I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Rumor has it we're starting another "monster" late december / early january, but this time it will be The Killing Ground from New England Simulations. If anyone would be interested in reading session reports from the Normandy bocages in July - August 1944, let me know and I'll drop you all a line when that campaign kicks off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
gschandel wrote:
I BOUGHT WAR WITHOUT MERCY A WEEK AGO. I WAS ENJOYING IT VERY MUCH, PARTICULARLY THE OVERRUN PROVISION, UNTIL I DISCOVERED THAT IT CAN BE RENDERED USELESS SIMPLY BY STACKING THE DEFENDER HEXES 2 OR 3 COUNTERS HIGH. IN MY OPINION, THE VALUE OF THE MOBILE ATTACK ELEMENT OF THE GAME WAS THE SINGLE MOST VALUABLE ASPECT OF THE COMBAT SYSTEM, AND THE GAME CAN BE RUINED AS A SYMULATION BT NEGATING THE OVERRUN PROVISION.

THEN I STARTED THINKING THAT THIS COULD BE CORRECTED BY THE SIMPLE ADDITIONAL INTERPERTATION THAT IN A MULTIPLE STACK DEFENDER HEX, A SINGLE UNIT COULD BE OVERRUN; THEN ANOTHER SINGLE UNIT COULD BE OVERRUN BY PAYING THE 1 MP OVERRUN COST AGAIN; AND FINALLY A 3RD UNIT COULD BE HIT BY THE SAME PROCESS USING UP THE ENTIRE MOVEMENT ALLOWENCE OF 6 MPS IN THAT ONE HEX. THIS IS CONSISTANT WITH THE COMBAT RULES ALREADY IN PLACE IN THE GAME, AND STEMS FROM THE FACT THAT INDIVIDUAL UNITS MAY BE ATTACKED SEPARATLY DURING THE COMBAT PHASE, AS LONG AS ALL UNITS ARE ATTACKED BY SOMEONE; AND THAT, IN THIS GAME, IN AN OVERRUN, DEFENDERS ARE ATTACKED IN ECHELON, 1 AT A TIME.

I THINK THAT THIS SAVES THE GAME SYSTEM, MAKING IT COMPETITIVE WITH RUSSIAN FRONT AND (THE LESS COMPLEX) RUSSIA BESIEGED AS THE BEST AND MOST FUN EAST FRONT GAME SYSTEMS.

ANYONE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS?

GEORGE SCHANDEL

schandel@optonline.net

On the left, middle of your keyboard theres a Caps Lock key, you can turn off the capitol letters PLEASE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well, if you stack up like that everywhere your opponent won't overrun you. He will surround you and watch you starve to death, since there'll be a lot of gaps in the line. I haven't played this for some time now, but I don't recall any problems like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george schandel
United States
mastic beach
New York
flag msg tools
is that the key that has "caps lock" printed on it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
gschandel wrote:
is that the key that has "caps lock" printed on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
larry finazzo
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
We are really going to scold people for using the caps lock key?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.