Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Herring
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to start a new league but with "already established" teams. That is, I want to have X amount (undetermined thus far) Star Player Points already given to each team. Each team would get exactly X, however they wouldn't decided who got these SPP but rather they would be randomly distributed.

I doubt it, but has anyone already determined what is the probability point distribution for each position? For example, I haven't conducted a hard study, but I believe non-linemen tend to average more SPPs than lineman. After all, you tend to use them more for SPP-earning actions. They are more likely to blitz or throw/catch/run for a TD.

If not, how would you wisened veterans do this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about expensive teams like the D/H/W Elves, where people can often start a league with 11x Linemen? Would they still get the same X SPP than say a Human team that has Linemen, Catchers, Throwers and Blitzers in the lineup? If an all-Lineman team would have to spread fully randomly (since they are all the same position, nobody gets any weighted results), wouldn't it be more balanced/fair to have a starting Human team spread SPPs fully random too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No idea - I've never actually paid attention to how they get distributed. There are so many randoms it would be very difficult to assess, I think.

I get that a team with a thrower will use him to pass mostly so he'll get 1, and if you have someone who is vey fast they will score more, but any player can get a casualty on a die roll, and there will be times when you are forced to pass with a non thrower, or injuries mean you are scoring with linemen.

In any event, if a player X ends up with 3 skills for being in a high profile position, and then he suddenly gets his head ripped off in game 1, it's a moot point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neal Smith wrote:
In any event, if a player X ends up with 3 skills for being in a high profile position, and then he suddenly gets his head ripped off turn 1 of game 1, it's a moot point!

Fixed for accuracy .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Neal Smith wrote:
In any event, if a player X ends up with 3 skills for being in a high profile position, and then he suddenly gets his head ripped off turn 1 of game 1, it's a moot point!

Fixed for accuracy .

Or in my case, bloody fans throwing rocks before turn 1 and knocking his head off*

*has happened!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta love a good Pitch Invasion too devil .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were going to do this, I'd set up a chart for SPPs that teams would roll on for each game. Let's assume that these teams are playing because they're successful, so they get 15 SPP per game (including the MVP). First, you'd randomly select the MVP for the game as normal. Then, roll on the table for what kind of SPP to assign. Something like this:

D8:
1 - Casualty (can be given to anyone, select randomly)
2-3 - Casualty (positional, given to a Blitzer or Blocker, select randomly)
4-5 - TD (positional, select randomly between Catcher, Blitzer, etc)
6 - TD (select randomly from whole team)
7 - Int (select randomly from whole team)
8 - Completion (to a thrower if available otherwise, select randomly)

...and just keep going 'til you got to the right number. You could adjust which players count counts as what (Wardancers are available for all the slots, perhaps, and so on). You could also adjust for the probabilities of certain events, but something like this would ultimately result in the positional players getting more of the SPPs, which is what I think you'd want. This may even be too lineman-friendly, but then, it could simulate only those linemen who live long enough to get to your league...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, position players definitely accumulate SPP faster than Lineman, unless the coach is making a concerted effort to get his Linemen upgraded.

I like Ron's idea above. I'd think about maybe going with 24 SPPs in total, though. That's enough for theoretically 4 upgrades, giving a team equivalent of having played roughly 2-3 games. I wouldn't necessarily worry about MVPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was saying that you'd get 15 SPP per "game" simulated, so you'd roll a few to simulate a season. It could be adjusted down or up, but ultimately only the total SPPs matter. One thing I'd say for sure would be not to simulate, say, eight games if your league plays eight-game seasons. The SPP totals will be inflated, because they don't take player elimination or injuries into account. Just pick a target total and try to get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Brown
United Kingdom
Coulsdon
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why not use a standard tournament set up and rules:

TEAM SELECTION
A MAXIMUM of 1,200,000 Gold Coins are available to Field your team.

You can also create your own stars for your team. To do this you will need to
purchase your players skills.

SKILL COSTS
Cost Required
+20,000 "Normal " New Skill
+30,000 "Double" Skill (Skills that can only be taken on rolling a double)
+30,000 +1 MA or +1 AV
+80,000 +1 AG
+100,000 +1 ST

STAR PLAYER CREATION RULES:

1) You may NOT purchase the same combination of skills or stats on more
than one player (this includes players with just one skill, so you may not have two players with just Block, but you may have one with just Block, one with Block & Dodge and one with Block & Tackle).

2) You may only create experienced and veteran players (up to two
skills per player). Must have in total >=11 players(including all Stars)

3) Only one of each stat increase is allowed per TEAM, so sorry NO
you CANNOT make six +1 Strength halflings / gobbos ...

4) Veteran Created Star Players (I.E. with Two skills), MUST have at least one "Normal" (+20k) New Skill.

So you can't create a Star Player with 2 Stat increases, a Stat increase
+ a Double Skill or 2 "Double" Skills.

5) You cannot give Created Star Players Exceptional Skills (though
chainsaw Snotlings would have been fun...)

This allows more choice when building your team, as well as letting you put some skills in. If you want more advanced teams, then just up the Max starting gold value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Herring
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, that was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Brown
United Kingdom
Coulsdon
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Glad to help, I used to play a lot of blood bowl. Those sort of rules work really well and are common in a lot of tournaments. I have a load of custom boards you can print out if you want them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Herring
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbrownesquire wrote:
Glad to help, I used to play a lot of blood bowl. Those sort of rules work really well and are common in a lot of tournaments. I have a load of custom boards you can print out if you want them.

That would be awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Brown
United Kingdom
Coulsdon
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is a link to the files

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.box.com%2Fsh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.