Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was browsing my local target and saw this on their shelf.

http://www.target.com/p/apples-to-apples-freestyle-card-game...

This game needs a BGG entry btw.

But my question is, isn't this game pretty much Say Anything?

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't there a bunch of party games that are just slight variations off this concept? None of them seems particularly original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:

What do you think?

Yes, it looks very similar.

I suspect you have an unstated follow up question, like "Does that violate some intellectual property?" or "Should we boycott the new game due to our moral outrage?" But maybe it's better if you actually state your concern over the similarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i have a feeling you can't copyright "fill in the blank" whether it by card or by writing it on a dry erase board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dommer2029 wrote:
porkchop_tw wrote:

What do you think?

I suspect you have an unstated follow up question, like "Does that violate some intellectual property?" or "Should we boycott the new game due to our moral outrage?" But maybe it's better if you actually state your concern over the similarity.

I am not really concerned about all that. It's just weird seeing both games on the Target's shelf. If they already have Say Anything, why do they have the new apples to apples?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
dommer2029 wrote:
porkchop_tw wrote:

What do you think?

I am not really concerned about all that. It's just weird seeing both games on the Target's shelf. If they already have Say Anything, why do they have the new apples to apples?

Off the top of my head, here are two possible reasons:
1) They carried Say Anything first, but have had success selling Apples to Apples, so they believe that the new version will appeal to people who like that brand but wouldn't pick up Say Anything.
2) The games may be very similar, but include different questions, so they believe that the new version would appeal to people who already have Say Anything and are looking to inject something new.

In general, consumers benefit when multiple companies produce similar products, as competition tends to keep the price down. We don't think, "Hey, that's weird" when we see Heinz and Hunt both producing ketchup, stocked next to each other on the same shelf. Or even seeing Armageddon and Deep Impact next to each other in the movie section. Why is this so much different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
dommer2029 wrote:
"Does that violate some intellectual property?"

That would be rather difficult, since there's no such thing.

There are copyrights, trademarks, and patents, but none of them are property. None of them are remotely analagous to property. And the only reason the term 'intellectual property' exists is because a bunch of lawyers and rights holders want to warp language and make people think of the former as if they were property, because, as George Carlin taught us, controlling language is how you control thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scoring system is probably simpler.

But yes, the mechanism is pretty much an outright copy.

Pete (doubts this game is on Say Anything's level)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the description, this is much simpler than Say Anything. Just like Apples to Apples, the judge selects their favorite answer, and that's it. Nobody else places wagers on which answer they think the judge will select, unlike Say Anything. Really, this game is more similar to Apples to Apples than it is to Say Anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.