Bruce Nettleton
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite sure where the designer want to gather play test info, but here goes:

We played three games this afternoon with three players, only one of which had played a single game of Glory to Rome several years ago. It took a couple of passes through the rules to grasp how the cards cycled through the floor, our hands, the work space and sales. I think the rules are clear enough. It's just that the game is non-intuitive in this regard.

We had a couple of questions about card powers, which I see have already been addressed in the forums. Namely, we didn't understand if Doll allowed us to bypass the powers of things like Mask and Tower and didn't understand what was meant by "empty spaces" on the coin card.

Two of the three games were wonby players who made zero sales, relying entirely on constructing works along with one bonus or another: The Tapestry in one game and the Coin in another. The third game was won by a player who only made one sale, although without a works bonus, this game was much closer with the second place player making sales and scoring interest at the end of the game.

I know three plays is not enough to make any final judgements, but it feels like a construction engine takes a little too long to ramp up.

The Coin card also feels radically over-powered, especially in a rush-down construction strategy. It fundamentally doubles the player's score for the hand all by itself.

The other phenomenon we ran into in game two was what we called a "Prayer Circle." All three players realized that they needed to draw a particular action card to advance their strategy and chose to pray to avoid giving their opponents advantageous actions. The game essentially stalled for a couple of rounds until somebody drew their magic bullet. This was our longest game of the session, going to forty minutes, and also felt the least satisfying.

We generally enjoyed the game, and are looking forward to further discovery. By the end of three games, we were starting to be comfortable with the engine and recognize some of the combos.

The one big, unanimous judgement is that the play mats in the PNP version are too small. Tucking the cards was frustrating, and by the end of the session most of the players had given up and were just laying the cards beside the mat. That worked okay, of course, but made for some little confusion over which cards were works and which ones were sales or assistants.

Hope these observations are helpful, as we really like the game mechanics and theme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Feedback anywhere is good!

If all you're doing is building works, coin is going to be a very strong card Remember the value of getting just one or two sales out for interest bonuses at game-end. It can be worth a lot of points if your opponents rush buildings.

Prayer circle is a thing that happens -- usually when people are too focused on denying enemy actions rather than benefiting from their own.

Thanks for the feedback on the mats! You are using sleeves, yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.M. Jones
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
...before I forget.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what I threw together:

I taped the printed cards to playing cards and sleeved them.

I taped the player boards to opposite sides of some thin cardboard (cereal box).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty! Nice work on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Nettleton
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:

If all you're doing is building works, coin is going to be a very strong card Remember the value of getting just one or two sales out for interest bonuses at game-end. It can be worth a lot of points if your opponents rush buildings.

Prayer circle is a thing that happens -- usually when people are too focused on denying enemy actions rather than benefiting from their own.

Thanks for the feedback on the mats! You are using sleeves, yes?

wasn't using sleeves, which might help. The problem was't so much sipping the cards under the mat,though, as that the cards have to overlap each other beneath the mat. Maybe just our group, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Nettleton
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:

Remember the value of getting just one or two sales out for interest bonuses at game-end. It can be worth a lot of points if your opponents rush buildings...

Thanks. I hadn't thought of spamming sales for interest! That'll slow folks down a little once they've seen that work once or twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the best way to combat a rush. If you drop one metal sale in there, suddenly you have a hand value between 0 and 15!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin McIntosh
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I played my first games tonight as well. I completely agree about the player mat size issue. The game can get confusing and a lot to keep track of once things really get moving so tucking the cards under the player mat really helps keep the player area organized and readable. However the size of the player mat makes it fiddley and a little frustrating because the cards are overlapping in all kinds of ways, especially tucking and untucking the tasks and workspace cards. A bigger player mat seems like it would solve this, although i know Asmadi was planning on releasing this in a small box which wouldn't allow a larger player mat. Maybe it could be folded or modular?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Foldable is possible. Also, typically I don't actually tuck my tasks, that seems to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cronium
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Played about 3 games with guys who had never played GtR before today. Similar to OP, it seemed easiest to just rush works and ignore assistants/sales.

The short nature of the game really works against assistants/patrons, there is very little value in trying to build efficiency if your opponent can just outmuscle you by just making whatever they can and ending the game quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I played two 2-player games last night, and agree that the playmats are too small. The edges of sleeved cards slightly overlap underneath the playmat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Nettleton
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
okay. Two more games today.
Two player with a new player 35 minutes. Player with coin won by lots.

Four player with one new player. 45 minutes. Two player had coins and tied for the win.

Neither of these games were really rush strategies. The group think has gotten really stingy about playing smiths, so it takes a while to ramp up a crafting engine. Nevertheless, the coin is just too big a scorer in our games to overcome. The only real counter we've found seems to be the kite, which only competes by copying the coin, or the turtle, which is much harder to score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Coin is changing next revision to "Double your sales interest points". More interesting, less sledgehammer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.