Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Goetz
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to buy this as a big fan of Uwe's other games, but I'm not sure how often I can get it to the table because it seems like it might run long. My wife and I are pretty fast players, but generally don't get to play games that run over 90 minutes. I don't mind if the first play is more like 2 hours, but it'd be nice if it settled down to average somewhere between 60-90. Is that possible with Arle at all, or too ambitious? Also, how long would you expect the explanation to take (given familiarity with Agricola)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got nine seasons with 4 actions per player per season. That's 72 actions, plus bookkeeping. If you are fast and take more than a minute per turn, you aren't fast anymore. I'd bet this settles between 60-90 for you for sure. My first game took less than 2 hours, and we had rules explaining for part of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had a chance to play it 2 player yet, but I have tried it out solo a few times. Each time the game length comes in at around 45 mins for me. I would guess that my wife and I would probably take about 70-90 mins to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom alphin
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game took 5 hours. We have played 6 times now, and stabilized at just over 2 hours.

It's about 50% more complex in decisionmaking than Agricola and game length seems to reflect it. The set-up is less random than most games, but each game still has a different flavor so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game with my son, with a plenty of rulebook-browsing and with a tv to distract him took maybe 100 minutes; let's say two hours with setup included. It shouldn't be too hard to play in 90 minutes.

Edit: second game, again with distractions, now took us 90 minutes plus setup, which was pretty fast with everything packed well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think that the game plays relatively fast for what it is. How long it takes depends on how much time one allows for pondering actions.
I play the solo game in 30-45 minutes. The two player game can take much longer than twice that, because there is an opponent to distract you and thwart your plans. Still, under two hours is realistic, should go down to about 90 minutes if everyone knows the rules well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What should also be mentioned (and which I did not mention in my post a long time ago) is that set-up and packing up will take quite some time. Allowing an extra 20 minutes for that is not unrealistic. Could be done quicker with good organization. Whether you have that - only you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a good foam core insert for the game, and the setup takes couple of minutes now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.