Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey.
Just getting into board games and loving it. Trouble is it is such an expensive hobby for what I make. Not really in a position to get any of the £40-60 games I really want. I've been spending a little here and there for micro-games and keeping my eye out for bargains. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Here's what i would love to find:

- £25 or less approx (dunno exchange rates but say $35 or less)
- in print/easy to find
- good with 2-player and more
- boards, tiles, dice, wood/plastic pieces a plus
- not heavy, mix of luck and strategy
- interesting theme
- EDIT. really into games that let you play a role and have unique player powers

Not too picking on the mechanic, I like euros and games with building/development, exploration and random set-ups, wanna try also area control and worker placement. Perhaps nothing too combative, war games don't appeal much.

Similar from my collection: King of Tokyo, Palazzo, Forbidden Island

Obviously finding an exact match that is still a good game would be a tough task, but any number of criteria you can match I would be eternally grateful.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be pushing your budget a bit, but Puerto Rico is a phenomenal game that plays 3-5 (and has a great 2 player variant) for about 32 USD on Amazon currently. Great board game and pieces, and is very clever in the role selection mechanism it uses. It also has a central board, individual player boards, lots of wooden pieces, as well as victory point & money chits. It may take a game or two to figure it out if you're new to the hobby, but it's well worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoy, welcome to BGG!

Most of the best offerings in the AT category (Which your description seems to imply) are a bit pricier than that, although there are a couple in that price range that would fit (Forlorn: Hope and Insecta are 2 that come to mind, although I don't think the latter is still widely available).

I think it might be better if you put the 25P (Monthly game budget?) aside and save up for a big game every couple months (Descent 2 for example should be doable in 3). Another long-term option *might* be X-Wing - don't get me wrong, if you go whole hog it's hideously expensive, so that's not an option here, but you should be able to get the base game for 25-30 (And see if it's something you want to get invested in) and get 1-2 additional fighter(s) every month afterwards, which would constantly expand your options, or skip a couple months and switch to something different.

The downsides are that X-Wing only plays 2, although you could make a team game out of it and have every player control 1 fighter, and that the game only really shines once you start adding more different types of fighters and upgrades (Which costs money). On the other hand if you have a standard opponent, you could select a faction each and have everyone buy only ships for that faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ollie Hunt
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like you, I'm UK based. I find the best resources for finding cheap games are Amazon (obviously) and boardgameprices.co.uk/.

If anyone has any other tips, I'd like to hear them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Priests of Ra is currently £12 inc delivery at The Works (or The Works via amazon.co.uk). It has an interesting auction mechanic and a mix of luck & strategy. It plays 2-5 players, I've only player 2p a couple of times & not sure whether it's as good as higher player counts, so I'd have a look at some reviews. Once you've read the rules it's really easy to teach people, but I ended up reading the rules twice before I understood the game (though that may well have been due to lack of sleep rather than the rules being bad).

Race for the Galaxy should be easily available and around £25. It takes a few games to get the hang of it, but it's very good with 2-4 players. I've played it most 2-players. They only disadvantage* is that it's not a good game for playing occasionally, so if you end up playing a lot with one other player and occasionally with others then the others will struggle to win. There are plenty of good reviews & you can download the rules and view the cards online. Edit - whilst it doesn't let you play role you pick an action (or 2 in 2p once you know the game) which are all unique and build cards which give you powers so it has features that might appeal.

* Well other than the fact you might not like it, but that applied to any game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
olliehunt wrote:
Like you, I'm UK based. I find the best resources for finding cheap games are Amazon (obviously) and boardgameprices.co.uk/.

If anyone has any other tips, I'd like to hear them!

There's the hot deals Europe forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One factor you forgot, which would make a lot of sense:

Replayability

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
I am finding it hard to think of a game that ticks all your boxes.

Eight-Minute Empire ticks most of them. It doesn't have a lot of pretty components but apart from that I think it's a good fit. You didn't say but I think you might be looking for a game that takes a while to play which wouldn't be 8ME however don't let the short play time make you think it is just a random filler, there's a good tactical game in there.

Citadels ticks a lot of boxes too. The main one that is misses is 2 player, it is 3 player minimum. It doesn't have maps or tokens representing units either, the components are almost entirely cards. However you do play roles with special powers.

As far as getting games more cheaply there are a couple of things you can try. Second hand games can be reasonably priced, more so if you aren't too fussy about condition. Charity shops might not be a great source, but if you do find an old copy of Risk or Axis & Allies it will almost certainly be at a great price. While the prices for second hand games seem quite high when buying from gamers, trading is a good option once you have some games people are interested in. You can keep an eye on the England forums for trading opportunities and try and parley a game or two you don't like in to something you do, possibly a far more expensive one depending on the interest level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hivemind wrote:
Citadels ticks a lot of boxes too. The main one that is misses is 2 player, it is 3 player minimum. It doesn't have maps or tokens representing units either, the components are almost entirely cards. However you do play roles with special powers.

Citadels does work 2 player, and is quite fun 2-player. I think I prefer it to higher player counts as it's quicker. It can be a bit combative - 4 of the 8 roles allow you to attack another player (though 2 of those you're attacking a role which you don't know if anyone has picked). I played 2p citadels a fair amount, then got Race for the Galaxy & played that more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Shelley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
They call him Cuban Pete..
mbmbmbmbmb
For unique player powers how about Smash Up works well with different player counts including 2 abnd is easily expansable without expansions being too pricey.

Carcassonne is a must buy if you haven't already grabbed it as it ticks pretty much all your boxes.

Splendor is very popular on BGG but I'm yet to play it but I've heard very good things also Machi Koro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider all of these fun and all of them should be under $30 dollars U.S. I'll provide prices that I see online next to each.

Age of War - $8.49
BANG! The Dice Game - $11.79
Dixit - $22.29
Guillotine - $9.99
Longhorn - $16.99
Revolver - $19.29
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery - $25.99
Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise - $20.49

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.