Scrabble» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Things I didn't Know About Scrabble rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I have a few degrees in the English field, I've never played a lot of Scrabble. Five games now to be exact.

I played last night with an avid, but friendly group at a local coffee shop and had a good time, and even won a game (sorta).

I remember reading about avid crossword puzzlers in Games magazine years back and how they were--by and large--disdainful of Scrabble players because the winner is the person who knew the most 2 and 3 letter words.

I have to admit, there is a large element of that.

The group I was playing with let me sort of horde the Scrabble cheat sheet of short words and "q" words, which helped immensely.

I was somewhat taken aback that many of the players did not know the meanings of the words they were using. Of course, there is really no reason to know that a particular word (which I've already forgoten)is the incorrect word for a unused portugese coin, but looking up those words (not "challenging") to me was one of the most interesting parts of the game.

As a game, it "suffers" from the randombility of "Ticket to Ride" (my first game I had 5--no lie--"a"'s on my rack at one time...thank God for "katana")and the "king maker" problem of Puerto Rico (the second game I was left with hanging "meatballs" of triple word scores by the non-strategy player before me, and with which I was able to use both a Q and a Z word.

Still, I enjoy those games, and I enjoyed playing this one.

I learned:
Naughty and racist words aren't in the regular scrabble dictionary but are in the tournament dictionary (which, incidentally, doesn't have definitions). Supposedly it used to, but then it got marketed at schools and families as well.

AA is a three-toed sloth.

There is a Scrabble timer clock, like a chess clock (we didn't use it).

I'm probably not going to commit vast numbers of 2 and 3 letter words to memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Shultz
United States
Connellsville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just a quick correction.

aa is a type of lava having a rough surface.

ai is a three toed South American sloth.

Good thing I saw this before one of those crazy Scrabble-types or they would have yelled at you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought that Scrabble would be a much more interesting game (especially in tournaments) if you had to know the definition of a word off-hand in order to be able to pass a challenge. Seems more in tune with what would surely have been the original intentions of the designers. Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you remember what word is the "incorrect name" of a no-longer used Portugese coin?

That's the one that really made me shake my head.

P.S. thanks for being gentle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Deems
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was probably the three letter word REI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
I always thought that Scrabble would be a much more interesting game (especially in tournaments) if you had to know the definition of a word off-hand in order to be able to pass a challenge. Seems more in tune with what would surely have been the original intentions of the designers.

How is that more in tune with selling a bajillion games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.