Popular Tags: [View All]
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big follower of the following philosophy:

"If you have a great idea that will make people happy or healthy, but you have no desire to produce/market it, then you should pass it on to someone who will."

It is much better to have a good idea benifit everyone and not get credit, than to copyright/patent it and never get off the couch and produce it.

What ideas do you have that you really want to see executed, but not by you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really love to see a good area majority game based on Gerrymandering where rather than moving the pieces, you move the area boundries. Each round players could add population tokens and then shift the boundries of adjacent constituencies in which that player has a majority. Scoring could be every couple of years/rounds. Fitting with the current trend, you could put out boards for many countries!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
I would really love to see a good area majority game based on Gerrymandering

Nice idea! Especially if you throw in some backstabbing, manipulation and other aspects of politics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mease19 wrote:
I would really love to see a good area majority game based on Gerrymandering where rather than moving the pieces, you move the area boundaries. Each round players could add population tokens and then shift the boundaries of adjacent constituencies in which that player has a majority. Scoring could be every couple of years/rounds. Fitting with the current trend, you could put out boards for many countries!

I've had a similar idea... I was just talking with a friend of mine yesterday about difficulties in implementation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:

What ideas do you have that you really want to see exicuted, but not by you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another product I'd love to see is a small cylindrical container that is either run by CO2 cartriges or electric refrigeration. You could put a single can or bottle in it and, in about 5 mins, it would chill your drink. That way you could pick up a drink/beer/bottle of wine on your way home and drink it immediately w/o having to let it sit in the fridge for an hour(or, more commonly, putting it in the freezer and then forgetting about it...). This might also be good for instant pudding! Anything that makes instant pudding more instant can't be a bad thing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
Anything that makes instant pudding more instant can't be a bad thing!

I agree

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But what about the following situation:
You have developed and alpha and beta tested, oh, let's say, two games. Both games have been well received and almost all playing agree that they should be introduced to the market.
Thus begins the daunting process of getting said games onto the shelves. Where do you draw the line between pursuit of an idea and the point at which you realize it will never happen?
Do I then give my idea to someone who will make it happen, or do I keep it to myself? In terms of games, why does my game become worth publishing because the name, for example Alan Moon, is put on it? Does that make it a better game?
I would like to see my ideas executed, but I have serious doubts that they actually will. So do I then hand them over and be satisfied that at least my idea is out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
Another product I'd love to see is a small cylindrical container that is either run by CO2 cartriges or electric refrigeration. You could put a single can or bottle in it and, in about 5 mins, it would chill your drink. That way you could pick up a drink/beer/bottle of wine on your way home and drink it immediately w/o having to let it sit in the fridge for an hour(or, more commonly, putting it in the freezer and then forgetting about it...). This might also be good for instant pudding! Anything that makes instant pudding more instant can't be a bad thing!

I'm pretty sure something like this already exists although without the nice refrigerant gas idea. At least I've seen constantly refreshing tubs of cold water at Whole Foods grocery stores in which you can chill a bottle of wine in a few minutes.

It's also rather simple to do this at home. Fill a small tub about half full with ice cubes from your freezer; fill the remainder of the tub with water. Insert wine bottle or one or two beer bottles. Grasp each bottle by the neck and proceed to spin the bottles. In 3-5 minutes your beverage will be cold enough to enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that if you have put enough time into an idea that you have done any type of testing, but especially if you are past alpha testing, then this post may not apply.

I have ideas that I would love to see done all the time, but I really don't care to go to all the trouble for each one. My real purpose in this post was to share good ideas that might spark others to follow through. Why dream about the game/product that you'd love to play/use for the rest of your life snore when someone could make it for you now .

On the other hand, if I had a beta tested game that I couldn't sell/self publish after say, 5 years; then I would consider epublishing a bare-bones print and play. After another 5 years, if people liked it, I'd start talking to publishers about a souped up version with good art and bits (and perhaps some new varients and expansions I had developed during that time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Stanley
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instant water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dahlstrom
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
(This is a picture of a frozen waterfall, from behind the waterfall)
mbmbmbmbmb
Just add ... oh wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A pillow with a cool core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
I would really love to see a good area majority game based on Gerrymandering where rather than moving the pieces, you move the area boundries. Each round players could add population tokens and then shift the boundries of adjacent constituencies in which that player has a majority. Scoring could be every couple of years/rounds. Fitting with the current trend, you could put out boards for many countries!

When I played Terra Nova I couldn't help but think of it as a Gerrymandering game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I want a Fallout board game. Plus more games where criminals break into buildings to steal stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dennis
United States
Covington
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 wrote:
A pillow with a cool core.

http://www.chillow.com/chillow.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mease19 wrote:

I've seen something like this (but big) in a liquour store. After the checkout counter was a container of swirling chilled water. You could drop your drink in there and get it could in a few minutes.

Having cold water as opposed to air is the key to chilling quickly (conducts much better). Having it swirl around helps even more. Really fancy would slowly rotate the bottle itself to help stir up the contents (but without creating fizz).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Werth wrote:
I want a Fallout board game.

Me too. And I want a good Discworld board game. And I want an X-COM: Ufo Defense themed strategy game that covers the whole Earth and Mars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
And I want an X-COM: Ufo Defense themed strategy game that covers the whole Earth and Mars.

Oooh. Yes and no. I love that computer game and curse you I am now itching to fire it up again. The only problem that I can see with a board game is that the PC game is a comination of strategic and tactical which doesn't usually work well in a single board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Werth wrote:
I want a Fallout board game. Plus more games where criminals break into buildings to steal stuff.

Break the Safe

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/7824

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see some kind of facility on this web site where Geeks from different locals can work out a house trade for a week or two.

This way a vacation would not cost so much. Lord knows we can only afford so much with our boardgame habit being what it is.

So let's say I would like to see some area in the UK or Italy. I could go to a page here and see if any geek from those places has registered their house. If they were interested in visiting northern California we might be able to work out a trade. We would loan each other our houses and cars. We could see the sights from another part of the world and visit with their geek friends to play games.

Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I want someone to come up with a Zillions type game, for ALL boardgames, that only managed to ref the game. It didn't need to have an AI that actually played it. It should also come with an easy editor to design and port as many boardgames and cardgames as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:

The game Domaine/Lowenherz can be used as a basis for this. You could use action cards to mess around with things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I started a thread on just GAME contributions here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/134362

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.