United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have the base set. We played the basic quick start rules a while back and it seemed we were chasing each other around and it felt bland. My son wasn't impressed either, but now I think we should give it another try. I plan on playing with the advanced rules to spice the game up. I also want to pick up 1 or 2 fighters to complement what is in the base set to wet his appetite. Any suggestions as to what ships will add the most interest and long term play to the game. Also while I'm asking, what type of scenario will be the most fun out of the gate? Other suggestions also appreciated.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip the generic "kill your opponent" furball and go directly to scenarios. My 10yr old and I love going head to head in the variety of scenario missions. Having a winning goal (other than blow up the other guy) adds 100% more interest, story, and tension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
get out of the quick start rules and into actions + colored maneuvers and stress - if you don't play with the stress rules, you'll just k-turn to death... that doesn't quite work the same when stress is involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Meney
Scotland
Larbert
Stirlingshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.

The learning stage is quite bland. This game is about to really open up for you. When you pick up a couple of expansions the game will feel very very different.

Folks may suggest buying the X-Wing and Tie fighter expansions, which is fine, there are some terrific pilot cards and upgrades to play with in there but if you want to experience something a little more varied then perhaps a Y-wing or if you can push to the Rebel Aces, you will get a couple of very different ships and some awesome upgrade cards. for the Imperials, the Imperial Aces pack will get you 2 Tie interceptors to accompany your 2 tie fighters. Any of the large ships come with some missions scenarios as well. All of them are great.

If you have an account on the Fantasy Flight website you can visit Mission Control. This is where fans of the game build scenarios to play out. Not dog fights, but situations with objectives rather than a straight up fight. This sounds like the type of experience you are looking for.

http://tools.fantasyflightgames.com/xwing/

Enjoy the ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd skip the base rules, too. I don't usually teach anyone the base rules anymore as it's kind of boring. When you get into actions, that's when the game really gets interesting.

Scenarios are great. Hard to do too many with just the 3 ships that you have. If you don't want to dive into the deep end with buying more, you might be able to look into your local game shop to see if someone wouldn't mind showing you the game a little. Most of the time gamers are pretty open and love teaching new people. They have all the minis and whatnot and can show you what the game is really like beyond the base box.

Mission Control is great, but you might need more ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A big tip: never play with just an empty table. Asteroids add a lot to the maneuvering game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Ebeling
Germany
Schleswig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with the "complicated" rules should make it much more interesring like the others already mentioned.

"Get another Core Set" is the automated answer when somebody asks what to buy after the Core Set.
The reason is that another Core Set is great value for money compared to two TIE and one X-Wing Expansion. Additional Dice and Range Ruler etc. are handy and especially two more TIEs are nice to get the Empire up to speed (the basic play style is "quantity" for Empire and "quality" for Rebels, but you are not forced to play it that way).

However, since you are looking for something to spice it up different small ships should do the trick.

Addum wrote:
[...] if you want to experience something a little more varied then perhaps a Y-wing or if you can push to the Rebel Aces, you will get a couple of very different ships and some awesome upgrade cards. for the Imperials, the Imperial Aces pack will get you 2 Tie interceptors to accompany your 2 tie fighters. Any of the large ships come with some missions scenarios as well. All of them are great.

The Aces Packs for both sides should do the trick nicely. But when you are looking for a smaller investment or just two more ships to start, I would go for the A-Wing and TIE Interceptor expansions. They fly and act quite differently than TIEs and X-Wings and should keep your small force reasonably balanced.

Fly casual cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Diggler
msg tools
I've been having a blast with dogfights, however I think it's time I start doing some missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Ryan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding a couple of ships with different pilot skills and configurations REALLY changes the feel of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kalina
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone, from your responses I received enough different answers to give me something to chew on. Who knows with Armada just out maybe some folks will sell their used ships...

Edited for clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are always people selling their collections. You can check bartertown.com for stuff, if you want. Also, check in with your local gaming group. Sometimes they have a Facebook page or something and people will post there. Also, maybe someone got excited and bought 8 X-wings and realize that they just don't need that many.

If you want to use some of the extra cards or pilots without buying things...and you aren't going to official tournaments, you can always print out your own. Glue them on cardboard and play. If you really like the game, I'm sure you will want to eventually grow your collection. Not a bad way to start off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.